GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,355 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Kyle Kirk
msg tools
So if I'm playing as Roland and he has an Intellect skill of 3, if he has an asset card in play in one of his slots with the Intellect icon, does that then give him a skill of 4?

Does he then have to exhaust that card if he commits it to the skill test or does that asset card always give him extra Intellect when it is in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Hemberger
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
both are wrong.

You only gain intellect if you discard (the card goes from your hand to your discard pile) cards.

You can't use assets in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirkenhaus wrote:
So if I'm playing as Roland and he has an Intellect skill of 3, if he has an asset card in play in one of his slots with the Intellect icon, does that then give him a skill of 4?

Does he then have to exhaust that card if he commits it to the skill test or does that asset card always give him extra Intellect when it is in play?

LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
Each card is multi-use. So, in your hand that card has the potential to be an asset OR a boost to a skill.

Once you play that card as an asset it "loses" the symbol in the top corner and is only an asset.

If you commit that card from your hand to a skill test, then the card "loses" its asset-characteristic and only has the skill icon in the top corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers above are right, but note that some allies - e.g. Dr. Milan Christopher - do boost skills while they are in play as Assets.

For example, if you play Dr. Milan Christopher as an Asset, then you would get +1 Intellect while he is in play. But that's on the text of the card, not an icon in the top left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another set of examples just to make sure this point is highlighted...

Beat Cop has a Combat icon and text that says "You get +1 Combat".
Scavenging has an Intellect icon and text that has a triggered ability but does not add modifiers to Skills when it is in play.

When Beat Cop is in play, we get +1 Combat because of the item's text not the icon. Similarly, we do not get a +1 Intellect from Scavenging when it is in play thus it really has no modified effect to a skill test.

But both cards can be committed during a Skill test and only the skill icons are acknowledged.

Agreed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Russell
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
For the life of me, I cannot find where this is talked about in the rule book. I found the part that says cards committed to an investigation are to be discarded, but I keep missing the part where it talks about the icons from assets, which are in play.

I find it odd and disappointing that assets in play don't contribute their skill icons to tests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
matchstickhero wrote:
I found the part that says cards committed to an investigation are to be discarded, but I keep missing the part where it talks about the icons from assets, which are in play.

I find it odd and disappointing that assets in play don't contribute their skill icons to tests.

I don't think the LTP or the RR actually address the skill icons on assets in play, but in the steps of resolving a skill test, it specifically says you can only commit skill test icons on cards from your hand. So assets in play are not in your hand and can therefore not be committed.

As for your disappointment, maybe think about it this way. By forcing you to only commit cards from your hand, the game is forcing you to make harder choices (which is more RPG like). Because otherwise there would never be a questions of playing an asset if you know you'll always be able to use the skill test icons as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also makes the game tougher to boot...

First play I assumed the skill icons added, and was wondering why I was waltzing... so I reread the skill section, thought about it and realized it is an OR situation (either play as asset (paying the cost) or discard for one time bonus (no cost)).

It definitely makes deck building important with regards to patching holes in your skills.. especially for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.