Subject: Lack of replayability..? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Patton
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up 2 core sets last week and have played it through with a friend, a couple times. But it doesn't seem to have any replayability! Once you know the surprises and the story much of the fun is gone and it's hard not to work your strategy around what you know is going to happen next. I can't imagine being interested in playing through the various Parts more than twice. So I'm left with a $30 game which was good for 3 maybe 4 hours. I guess this is sounding like a complaint, but my point in posting is - what am I missing? Just as this core game, what next? Online print and play scenarios perhaps? Make up our own (could be fun, dust off my GM skills)? If the "next" is to buy an expansion every time I want to play the game, hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are LOTS more coming.

The campaign is called the "introductory" campaign for a reason.
If you look at the wiki on the main page, it lays out the first cycle of content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
Hmmm Yeah I also found the second playthrough to lose a lot of the magic that the first one had. However I'm glad the game offers multiple resolutions so I can explore that.

I also enjoy the fact that you can get better endings so I get some replay value out of that as well. Playing the multiple different decks that you can create with two cores also adds a lot of different gameplay choices.

While you do know the ending the and it becomes easier to "game the game" by that I mean you can alter your course because you know what will happen I find the investment of ~$16USD for a new adventure pretty reasonable.

I play the LotR LCG and I really only play those quests once or twice unless it really blows me away but for me thats enough value for a game I enjoy playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought there were five characters with the base game. Is it not worthwhile to replay with different character combinations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I think the nature of the game, being an LCG, means that you are going to be dependent on the new ongoing expansions to get maximum play ability out of the game.

But, for the core set, I know that replayability for me will come down to:
- trying to win with the different characters
- trying different card combos and set ups in my deck
- playing solo versus with friends
- trying to gain more XP by replaying a scenario
- hopefully, eventually, moving up a difficulty level

And

Doing all of that to prepare for the new expansion content as it comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find this at all. Adjusting difficulty, optimizing decks, those are things I've not even done yet but I just find that I like the joy of going through these scenarios with different people. Every time I introduce the game we have a blast. When I play solo I don't mind re-playing scenarios over, I can see how well I prepare for what I know is coming.

Then again, that is just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game last night (only 1 play) so I'm not sure if I have an impression of replayability yet... but most games don't tell a story at all and we play them over and over because the mechanics, strategic and tactical decisions are a fun puzzle. The story here is just icing on the cake.

Wouldn't the 'fun' of the game come from preparing your deck and figuring out how best to handle the scenario with the cards you randomly drew from both your own deck and the mythos deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew H
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like you jumped in without fully understanding the nature of the game. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that your point about buying a new expansion is on point; you'll have to invest in a big box and string of packs to fully experience the next storyline.

If you're uninterested in exploring the base content with different decks and difficulties, you'll like burn through the content and move on quickly.

Without any of the customization, it falls in line with games like TIME Stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through the main campaign 3 times, on easy or medium, with different characters each time.

The mechanics are great, and different decks play quite differently, so I don't have any problem with replayability so far.

I'm desperate to play it again, maybe even cranking it up to hard mode, but it's a busy week at work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30$ game and 2 cores? You're lucky to find such a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Petersen
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
I understand the OP.

I just started playing LOTR:TCG and if there was ONLY the core set with nothing else and I could only play the original 3 scenarios, I would think that to be a waste of money.

In fact, I was at my local game store picking up Eldritch Horror and what do I see next to it sitting there so tempting: 3 copies of this card game.

I was so tempted but figured I'd wait 6-12 months to see how much more content is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe people will come up with randomized setup variants to add more unpredictability to the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the point of playing a game to enjoy yourself, escape from the real world for a few hours and test your skill against the AI or other players? We have all played monopoly (trying to stomach that statement.....nope, here comes breakfast!!)....ok, it has the same dull mechanics, no story and little theme. But we played it all the time when I was a kid.

The last time I was stateside, I went to watch my football team play. The ticket cost me $200 and we lost badly! I got 3 hours of so called entertainment. Bang for buck, yeah sure, there are games with greater longevity, better theme or more compelling mechanics. But AHTCG has a mix of them all and for $30, that seems ok value to me.

This is not about the OP, this is about us as gamers. We choose the games we like that fit our pocket, taste etc. I hate euro games....so I don't buy them. I'll play them if they hit the table though. I like theme and the ability to solo games.....so I buy accordingly. I am glad to here that people do not like the game, no game is universally loved. So, kudos to the OP for having the balls to say so. I will not change your mind.....but I look forward to the next time I discover the door to my study has suddenly vanished....
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the fact that I now know the scenarios and can plan accordingly when building my deck or save cards for an event that I know is about to happen. How else are you going to beat the higher difficulties anyway? I still haven't beat the campaign with a "The investigators win" outcome on normal difficulty yet...
Lots of replay value for me there (played 4 times already, 3 of those solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suppose it depends on how you define replayability?

If you think it's all about the various narrative beats of each scenario and how they tie together to form the campaign, then sure, this game has limited replayability - that is to say that its replayability has limits, not that it is low or non-existant

So far I've managed to do two 1-player campaigns, which is an approx total playing time of 5-6 hours and I've not explored, seen or resolved all of the various forks in the path, resolutions in the campaign book or locations/encounter cards. So there's definitely more than 'just 3-4 hours of game' in the box.

If you define replayability as the mix of narrative and game mechanics:
the varied mix of narrative beats (even ones you've seen before), player card combinations, encounter deck variance, random locations, exploring different player counts, different player classes, 4 difficulty settings, deckbuilding etc - then I think this game, with only the core set has legs and that's just it, it's 'only' a core set - there's so much content coming down the pipe for this game, so replayability will only exponentially increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Hey Rob, thanks so much for your post.

Having a look at your badges I see your an Arkham Horror Fan!
I am sure you have figured out how you best enjoy spending your time and how to gauge the replay-ability of a game you own. Given the enjoyment you had until you reached this point and the financial outlay to get there, I think I will wait to see how much stuff gets released and for more opinions.

That said other people do have different definitions of replay-ability as shown above, and they may not be concerned by what you experienced.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ullrich

Cherry Hill
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever think of drafting to make decks?

I read a little about Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, which normally wouldn't be my cup of tea. Some people seemed ecstatic about it, and said they prefer to draft cards, make random decks, and make the best of what they have. The idea stuck with me, and I wonder if you could do something similar with Arkham Horror (and if it would be any fun.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfuzzymonster wrote:
Ever think of drafting to make decks?

I read a little about Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, which normally wouldn't be my cup of tea. Some people seemed ecstatic about it, and said they prefer to draft cards, make random decks, and make the best of what they have. The idea stuck with me, and I wonder if you could do something similar with Arkham Horror (and if it would be any fun.)

It would probably work, but only when you have enough different cards (2 cards of each) to draft from.

You could mix all the cards that the character could use, draw two (when you have 60 cards or more) or even three (when you have 90 cards or more) and select only one to use in your deck and discard the rest to not be used for the character. When you have more than 90 cards to choose from for a character, you just make a random subset of 90 cards before beginning to draft.

It should work this way for almost any deckbuilding game and would only get more interesting with a larger cardbase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.