Subject: This game is so hard to decide on. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Base game" + stretch goals: Lots of items for the money.

With expansion + a few extra heroes: Not all that bad value though with the price of the dollar now the expansion is really expensive and relative the legendary stuff it's not at all worth it from a value/money per item perspective.

Immortal: Even worse since the metal coins don't bring any additional game-play whatsoever and neither does haven't a second copy of every miniature.

Get a whole bunch of heroes and lots of enemies for half the price and then pay twice that and get a few heroes more + one more enemy type.

The problem is each added items isn't "all that badly" priced, it's still pretty fair / limited / item (though the USD is sooo expensive to the SEK now), but the base set is a given buy and a much better value.

So what to pick?

It's like I feel to pick both to reach a better average but .. That doesn't really help now does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ye I went for Immortal without much thinking just before this last dollar spike. Thinking back I think I could have just taken Dragon Slayer instead. Metal coins and furniture I have from other games, and I guess double hero minis would be more of a nuisance than help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were you I'd probably just do the base pledge. The other stuff sounds like it will reach retail eventually, right? Assuming you can get your hands on Ares games locally (is Galaxy Defenders available anywhere near you?), you could probably pick up any of the important stuff at a later date.

I did the immortal pledge, but that's because: I don't have any metal coins but want some; I like doors and chests and want more; I want to paint the heroes alternate colors for the 2 alignments; I love the dragon sculpt and dragon-kin; and I love pet classes and transforming classes.

I'm also weak-willed and I fully acknowledge that the main value of the pledge is in the base game and stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for legendary and here's why:

I definitely wanted the additional characters, since they looked really cool and I like playing my games with different characters.
Then I convinced myself to get the dragon expansion. It is not cheap, but the huge miniature and the raid mode got my interest. And now I got all gameplay related contents.
So, Dragon Slayer bundle was it!

Also I decided that I need another dice set, so that reaching dice around would be more convenient. And one more bag so I have one for the dice and one for the critical hit tokens.
This meant, now I was 13 bucks away from the immortal bundle (additional sculpted doors and chests, metal coins and all characters doubled in light blue for their dead ghost form)!

What can I say... All in!

If you're undecisive, then you really should take the base box only. With it you have all the KS exclusives and if you get the game eventually you can thoroughly test it before buying more expansions when they come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
If I were you I'd probably just do the base pledge. The other stuff sounds like it will reach retail eventually, right?

Eventually. Maybe. There is still quite some stuff left to appear in retail for GD that was in the KS and was not an exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
breegull wrote:
If I were you I'd probably just do the base pledge. The other stuff sounds like it will reach retail eventually, right?

Eventually. Maybe. There is still quite some stuff left to appear in retail for GD that was in the KS and was not an exclusive.

It's at least planned to release in retail according to Simone.
Simone Romano wrote:
all other extra contents unlocked during the campaign will be sold separately during the course of the next years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went whole hog on this one.
I really liked what I saw, and it looks like all of the add ons will really make the game 'pop' to my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like every Kickstarter and their mother now has different levels of pledges, the one with seemingly more value being the base game+expansion. More often than not, I stick with just the base game (if I think it'll be successful and up my alley).

If I'm that crazy about the game, I'll pony up and purchase additional content on my own. But with many games now being Kickstarted at 200+ dollars for base game plus expansion content, I don't have the funds (personally) to warrant the investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, am I the only one who finds it weird that I have to consider buying expansion packs for a game I haven't even played yet?

But once again, the fear of missing out got me and I went in for everything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For non-painters, the second set of heroes, in light-blue tone, can be used to replace grey miniatures when a hero dies and returns as a ghost.

Or did I dream this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Geoff wrote:
For non-painters, the second set of heroes, in light-blue tone, can be used to replace grey miniatures when a hero dies and returns as a ghost.

Or did I dream this?

Nope that's what they are for. Although it's not that useful really, if think it's more useful if you paint/want to use the figures in other games.

The S&S part of the pledge manager has been closed, although if you email Ares they may still accept an order if you hurry.

The base pledge is fine, you'll probably be able to pick up the dragon campaign on sale later if you really want.

It's a shame they didn't make generic fantasy coins they would likely get more sales. I wish I could order more dice it's a pain handing them round the table, I suspect we'll me most the way though a campaign before they are generally available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Councilofthevoid wrote:
It seems like every Kickstarter and their mother now has different levels of pledges, the one with seemingly more value being the base game+expansion. More often than not, I stick with just the base game (if I think it'll be successful and up my alley).

If I'm that crazy about the game, I'll pony up and purchase additional content on my own. But with many games now being Kickstarted at 200+ dollars for base game plus expansion content, I don't have the funds (personally) to warrant the investment.

Yep.Brandon.

I know where your coming from on that issue.and ive posted quite a few comments on the way the Kickstarter system is going nowadays!...getting less for your money now and they seem to take even longer to arrive!!
ive got 4 KS on the go.backed all of them well over a year ago..and not one of them will be here until feb/march [allegedly].

Value has dropped massively now.but not the prices...when we got unlocks a few years back it was a campaign or a group of minis [elves orcs for instance].now its a single scenario or a single mini!.
that's because the addons are used for campaigns and mini packs and tile packs etc.stuff which at one time would have been part of the core ks..its cynical marketing my friend!!.that's why a lot of the big game companies have jumped on to KS they can make a killing moneywise!..and we have to wait a lot longer than the "guestimate".
I was told by a friend who works in marketing that a trick a lot of these types of projects do is,get all the money keep it in a bank account as long as they can making large amounts of profit from interest.than release the money to the manufacturers..to start work...that's a reason why so many projects run so late..its us who fund the game.but nearly always wait a lot longer than original date for the product.i can see why so many people have pulled out of doing KS might as well wait until game is released.then pick it up and buy the extra KS stuff on ebay..works out a lot cheaper.and your money stays in your bank account.
its a real shame.

having said that,this is probably one of the last ones that's actually giving a good deal on the core pledge..although I went balls out on it and got the full pledge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
Yeah, am I the only one who finds it weird that I have to consider buying expansion packs for a game I haven't even played yet?

No, you're not the only one!

Personally I only pledge for KS games of which I have a pretty good impression how it will play. On the majority of my KS projects I'm on base pledge levels plus maybe some cheaper kickstarter exclusive add-ons. I only add expansions if I consider them absolutely necessary (e.g. in a 1-4 player game a 5/6 player expansion).

In case of S&S they gave us the chance to play the first mission on tabletopia. I played this scenario multiple times and this convinced me that S&S will certainly be my game of the year if not my game of the decade!
So I'm more than happy that I went all-in and thus get all expansions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was an early bird backer so I ended up paying a whopping $5 less than others for an immortal pledge. But meh...a discount is a discount right? And to be totally honest, had I not already knew about the KS before day 1 (because I had backed both of their GD KS's) I would still have ended up grabbing the immortal level. As others have said, there were too may add-ons that I wanted anyways, so it made the most sense to just grab the immortal pledge. The only add-ons I would not have gotten would have been the doors and chest, and I probably would have convinced myself to pass on the extra bag. I didn't need the extra set of figures either, and probably will not end up painting them, but I figure I could find some use for them in some rpg or something.

Edit: the difference in my pledge value is for my early bird (legendary) + the cost of the immortal bundle that was offered to early bird backers which brought my total up to $194. Maybe there was a difference in the shipping costs between Legendary and Immortal bundles in which case, I would have ended up saving more than I stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dodson
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went all in because I knew I liked the game from playing it on Tabletopia and I figured if I was going to play it a lot then I'd want to be able to use fan made scenarios to add variety. It seemed to me that anyone who was a big enough fan to make a decent scenario would likely have gone all in, so might require the extra stuff.

Plus I wanted all the shinies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the opposite, I started off as a base pledge and recently upped it into the full Immortal.

I think it is a safe bet that the modules will be available later at retail. But you can be guaranteed it ain't gonna be any time soon. I hope to still be playing this by then, but who knows? Speed is not Ares strong suit, but I'll take quality over speed, myself. That is their strong suit.

The Immortal bundle does not quite double the price of the package, but it has about the same number of minis, so it is a good value. And, from my point of view anyway, the ghost mode minis are going to be extremely helpful. There is a LOT going on in this game. Swapping a mini is an easy way to keep track of who is in Ghost mode and needs a resurrect, also their capabilities will be different. I'm not sure why folks would think they need to be painted, or why painting your heroes would make them obsolete? Has no bearing on it.

But mainly I came here to point out that if you are thinking of late pledging or changing your pledge, you now have to do this over email with Ares. The Pledge Manager is fully closed at this point. I doubt they will even take orders much longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveNewcastle wrote:
I went all in because I knew I liked the game from playing it on Tabletopia and I figured if I was going to play it a lot then I'd want to be able to use fan made scenarios to add variety. It seemed to me that anyone who was a big enough fan to make a decent scenario would likely have gone all in, so might require the extra stuff.

Plus I wanted all the shinies.
cant beat the Shinies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Ended up starting as a base pledge, wasn't going to really go for more than that until they released the bundles which I saw as a great deal but still stayed with the base pledge, a day later I walked into my FLGS and saw Galaxy Defenders for 50% off... snagged that! I was so impressed with the gameplay/components/theme that I immediately upped my pledge to include the immortal addon...

Then during the KS since we unlocked all those cross-over cards for galaxy defender enemies I also added on the GD Aliens pack! blush so yeh I went all in and then some... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl krelle
Australia
flag msg tools
went all in immortal +++, got extra hero sets on top to have 3 versions of the minis, so that if I ever get good enuff at painting (using the card-art for colours) to do them as good, bad & ghost, was my first big $ KS decision but not a hard one to make
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.