Subject: Not enough HQ chits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Martin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I don't see the rules explicitly say so, I'm assuming that if I don't have enough HQ chits to fulfill my quota for the turn as the Germans I'm just screwed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume so, but I am not an expert on the game. It seems like this would be a rare occurrence, though -- what happened?

If you make it through turn 3, you'll have at least on Manstein chit that activates any HQ -- by the time you have 6 chits in the cup, you'll have 2 Manstien chits. So, are there fewer than 4 Axis HQs left on the board? If so, were the others eliminated by not having units in their command radius?

I've played a few games now, and I don't think we've had more than one HQ eliminated overall (counting both sides).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Home Mixer
United States
Brooksville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
You gotta work hard as the Germans to lose enough HQs where it becomes a problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funnymarx wrote:
Although I don't see the rules explicitly say so, I'm assuming that if I don't have enough HQ chits to fulfill my quota for the turn as the Germans I'm just screwed?

Yep, well said too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
I have played this game a few times and I don't think this situation is at all unusual.

With their superior mobility, it shouldn't be that difficult to keep Axis HQ in range of a unit. The only way you lose them is if they are pushed out of range of commanding anyone. Perhaps some are errantly removing the HQ when it is "captured", during which case its supposed to be treated as a reinforcement the following turn.

There are a couple...the IT and HU HQs that are weaker, have shorter range, and are susceptible to being overrun, but the Axis can absorb losses like that as they get additional chits added in the midgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
I have played this game a few times and I don't think this situation is at all unusual.

Then you have absolutely no idea what you are doing.

[Edit added] Oh, I just saw your review. You really do have absolutely no understanding of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one game and my German opponent also lost enough HQs that he couldn't use his quota. If an HQ is not ordered, the Russians can deliberately bypass it, drive off all units within range, and knock it off the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With more experience, I think this would happen rarely. The Axis player will learn better how to position his pieces, how close to the front is reasonable. The Soviets must take larger and larger gambles to bypass a HQ in this way.

One simple solution is to make sure your HQ is in a hex with a unit at all times when close to the front. If the unit is lost, the HQ will go to your reinforcements. Otherwise, they'll always stay in command and you can't possibly lose the HQ chit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"A Victory Lost is much better than CATS. I would play it again. And again."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmbmbmb
dieroll honker wrote:
generalpf wrote:
Then you have absolutely no idea what you are doing.

[Edit added] Oh, I just saw your review. You really do have absolutely no understanding of this game.
I don't see a review by generalpf. Care to post a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
come read articles and talk games on therewillbe.games
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he's talking about the low rating and his comments about the game in the "personal comments" section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Martin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KentuckyKid wrote:
I would assume so, but I am not an expert on the game. It seems like this would be a rare occurrence, though -- what happened?

Well, it's only my first (well, second including a game aborted mid-turn 3 due to rules errors) game of AVL against a real opponent, so there's that caveat.

As far as what happened, it's now the beginning of turn three and I only have Pico, Hollidt and Kempf left on the board... the three axis minor HQs and 4PzA have all been eliminated via the end of turn no one in command range method. This is in part due to ignoring activation of the minor HQs in turn 2, and also in part to trying to be a bit too agressive in the south.

6A pushed through in the north and retreated the hungarian HQ out of range (and it wasn't worth putting a reinforcement unit up their just to save it), the IT and RU HQ got bypassed and their organic units destroyed, leaving them out of range, and 4PzA got bypassed and was victim to a poor chit draw order in the south....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
funnymarx wrote:

Could you perhaps elaborate as to how this situation came about? Thus far the assumption has been that your HQs are being eliminated at a high rate, but you only mention chits, so perhaps there is something else going on (e.g., thinking Manstein chits only last one turn, or not replacing all chits for each HQ on the board at the start of each turn.)

I will say that in all the AVL games that I have played to date, actual elimination of HQs has been pretty rare and usually confined to the Italians or the Romanians on the relatively rare occasion that the Soviets actually take the time to eliminate the Romanians instead of just pocketing them.
The German HQs in particular are pretty mobile, and by mid-game most will be activated each turn, so it's not too difficult to keep them safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Martin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit to above:

I was thinking about it, and I didn't recall removing the RU HQ in either reinforcement phase, so I opened up VASSAL again, and it turns out it's still there... so... I actually have enough HQ this turn, just no choice about which ones to use.

I would say that the fuhrer should send me to the eastern front for this screw up, but... I'm already there (and liable to stay there permanently )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice bit of prescience there as you answer my question before I've even asked it!

Losing the 4PzA is not unheard of if the Soviets get good chit draws in that sector and go all out to destroy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone else is thinking of going looking for generalpf's original comments, don't bother; there's no such user any more. And there's no other user called Ryan Walberg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls