Subject: Share your positive evaluation of/feelings about Wikipedia here rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
MVP sbszine has raised the possibility that he may like Wikipedia.

Here is a thread for folks who have an overall positive appreciation of Wikipedia to share their feeling, thoughts and experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
what do you have against Wikipedia - I think it's a good place to obtain basic information and start your research on a subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia is like true, pure love. Not physical and you don't have to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
In my area of expertise I'm perpetually impressed that Wikipedia is an accurate basic resource.

I donate $100 a year and get much more value out of it than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pay a lot to have wikipedia wired into my brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who doesn't like wikipedia? Flat-earthers and creationists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One does have to be careful about using it as a single source for something one is not already familiar with. However, generally it has quite good information and is readily accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a terrific resource as long as your subject is not political.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
jeremycobert wrote:
It's a terrific resource as long as your subject is not political.

youre a terrific commenter as long as the subject is not political
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
For topics which are non-technical, non-controversial, and not too obscure, it's a good basic resource. Whenever expertise or lack of bias are needed, it becomes unreliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it has plenty of inaccuracies, it's still by far the most convenient, complete, and relatively reliable repository of human knowledge accessible to anyone with an Internet connection. When someone mentions something I know nothing about, I like knowing I can get a quick basic understanding of the subject on Wikipedia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Share your positive evaluation of/feelings about Wikipedia here
Does that EVEN "contained" 'moi'? W-H-O-S-E 'node'! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh great, some troll decided to edit out the poll because they didn't like the data, how very wikipedia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I found out about the works of Joss Whedon beyond Firefly there. But the SJW/atheist/materialist bias in their editing is obvious.

Go to any topic dealing with science, politics, the paranormal, the sneering bias is glaring.

Hell, even under Joss's entry, for awhile, his answer to the question of whether there is such thing as God, "No." "Is your final answer?" "No, and that is point of all this," vanished.

Then reappeared after several months.

It is one source. And its usefulness varies greatly with the topic. But it can give you a launch platform for more and better research elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Rightwingers are so scared of the masses having access to real information and actual truth that they have their own bubble version (brought to you by Phyllis Schlafly's kid!):

http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

I remember about a decade ago one of the local firebreathing Rush-Limbaugh-wannabes in our local radio media market ranted about how he didn't trust Wikipedia. It was a beautiful piece of old-man-yelling-at-cloud stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
cool You just now "reminded" 'moi' upon this "OZ preproduction sample" 'figurine' I got awhile ago. "Limited to 2500 Pieces" yet it 'comprised' "articulated portions" and how does this work out then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Rightwingers are so scared of the masses having access to real information and actual truth that they have their own bubble version (brought to you by Phyllis Schlafly's kid!):

http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

I remember about a decade ago one of the local firebreathing Rush-Limbaugh-wannabes in our local radio media market ranted about how he didn't trust Wikipedia. It was a beautiful piece of old-man-yelling-at-cloud stuff.

Wait...right wing bubbles are bad, yet left wing bubbles are ok?

I'd look at the results of the last election and guess again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
Well, I found out about the works of Joss Whedon beyond Firefly there. But the SJW/atheist/materialist bias in their editing is obvious.

Go to any topic dealing with science, politics, the paranormal, the sneering bias is glaring.

Hell, even under Joss's entry, for awhile, his answer to the question of whether there is such thing as God, "No." "Is your final answer?" "No, and that is point of all this," vanished.

It is one source. And its usefulness varies greatly with the topic. But it can give you a launch platform for more and better research elsewhere.

I'm kind of curious what the Atheist bias is? I have to admit I've never read entries on the site that would broach those topics so I'm not sure. If it's atheists trolling religion centered listings then yes that would be bad. If it's an evolution topic that fails to mention ID? That's what the ID listing is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's pretty good, for basic info and for endless perusing of unknown factoids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
tstone wrote:

I'm kind of curious what the Atheist bias is? I have to admit I've never read entries on the site that would broach those topics so I'm not sure. If it's atheists trolling religion centered listings then yes that would be bad. If it's an evolution topic that fails to mention ID? That's what the ID listing is for.

Anything that doesn't give "I read it in the bible" or more accurately "someone told me that they read it in the bible and I trust them" equal weight to "here's what people who spent their entire lives studying physical reality think is probably true" is "sneering" and or "atheist bias". The demand is literally that their ignorance absolutely 100% is as good as your knowledge and must be treated as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
tstone wrote:

Here's a list (from The Conservapedia!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
tstone wrote:

Anything that doesn't give "I read it in the bible" or more accurately "someone told me that they read it in the bible and I trust them" equal weight to "here's what people who spent their entire lives studying physical reality think is probably true" is "sneering" and or "atheist bias". The demand is literally that their ignorance absolutely 100% is as good as your knowledge and must be treated as such.

No. It is honestly representing a topic and not selectively editing based on your own biases and tastes.

Don't be a dick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
spoon wrote:
Who doesn't like wikipedia? Flat-earthers and creationists?

I guess count me among the Flat-earthers and creationists. It's mostly muddled crap brought to you by people who mostly have little background and a great deal of bias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wikipedia has a similar misinformation rate to professional encyclopediae. It's a great way to get a survey of a topic.

It's been that way for years. It was loose before, but time has refined it.

Hating wikipedia is a good sign that you're a bit out of touch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Wikipedia has a similar misinformation rate to professional encyclopediae. It's a great way to get a survey of a topic.

It's been that way for years. It was loose before, but time has refined it.

Hating wikipedia is a good sign that you're a bit out of touch!

To Britannica? Rand mcnally? Hell a claim. Prove it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.