Popular Tags: [View All]
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played two 2p games, and the seemingly arbitrary "rich gets richer" rule really seem to be hurting.

- First player is randomly selected, there is no compensation
- That player gets the best bonus cards on ties. In the latest game 2 of 4 were ties.
- That player managed to have a total of 1 more (because he didn't need to play agressively, as ties were enough for her)
- Therefore starting the second turn.
- Therefore winning ties (it was 1 of 4 this time)
- Repeat
- Third turn 2 ties again.

So there were 5 ties in the game, 3 of them in a SINGLE card, therefore me, the tied "2nd" player got NOTHING, but a swing of 4-5 points against me.

Final score was 78-50 against me.

a. are we doing rules right?
b. why do ties always go to the first player?
c. if turn order matters, why is there no last player compensation? (1 gold...?)
d. did any of the answers for b or c contain the phrase "it works better in higher player counts"?

I really like the game for what it is (quick number crunching drafting/hedging your bets game), but when I get beaten this badly through no fault of my own (really the only mistake I made was thinking my opponent having a green 3 as her last card, which was in fact a green 2, with me having set the capital limit at exactly what I had, thinking if she goes above me she is bust, it was a 2 instead, allowing her to ... tie me again!) I start to get a bit frustrated and paranoid about the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eilif Svensson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
Hi David,

Thanks for your input

It seems that you have played correctly.

Normally the last player has a big advantage since he gets the last play in the Capital and can also control majorities better. The tie-breaker going to the starting player (who is normally not the last player to play a card) is to compensate for this.
That the second player should avoid ties is not obvious the first times you play, but with more experienced players it is very uncommon to have 5 ties in a 2-player game. It is really surprising that both players have had the exact same values in a color in their hometowns 5 times during the game.

A couple of tips for the last player to affect the Capital at the end of the round:
- Spare a pink card (Cleric) to the end of the round (taking a card from the Capital as your last action).
- Spare a blue card (Agent) to the end of the round (affecting the Capital with a modifer card as your last action).

In a 3-4 player game, it is more common that there are more cards of each color in the capital, so that more players get cards in a tiebreak situation.

However, in a 2 player game, you actually know the colors and values of 10 out of 12 cards in play each round (after the drafting phase), so you have more control.

Hope these were the answers you were seeking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I suspected as much.

The only thing I want to disagree with is the "first player usually not the last", which is where the green cards really can mess me up. And I can't spare a pink, a blue, and a green card "just in case", cause, you know... I have to play something

I will try to pay attention to the "last card effect" next time we play 2p, and I'll also try and get a multiplayer game going. The game is very interesting in itself, and the art by Kwanchai makes it pop to the fullest (something yours and mine have in common whistle )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eilif Svensson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
Agree with you. The green card can mess things up a little (if the starting player has more green cards than the 2nd player).

Glad you enjoy the game. Hope you will have even better experiences in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.