Stone Age» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Gold : the most unvaluable resource rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Matt
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few numbers to show that gold is the most unvaluable resource.

To buy Civ cards, working for wood is obviously the best choice.
What is not so evident is the fact that working for wood also maximizes the points on resources obtained per worker. And since those resources can be used to buy hut tiles and so converted into points, wood is the best choice also (since a player may decide which resource he will use to pay the hut tile - generally speaking)!

I mean, supposing one wants to buy a "1-7" hut tile and has to decide which resource "to work for", wood is the best choice.

Here there are some numbers:
Sending 3 workers to the forest / to the river (using no tools):
- average resource units obtained: 3,17 / 1,33
- resource-points obtained : 9,50 / 8,00
- resource-points obtained per worker deployed : 3,17 / 2,67

Sending 6 workers to the forest / to the river (using no tools):
- average resource units obtained: 6,67 / 3,08
- resource-points obtained : 20,00 / 18,50
- resource-points obtained per worker deployed : 3,42 / 3,08

Sending 3 workers to the forest / to the river (being able to use up to 4 tools):
- resource-points obtained per worker deployed : 4,50 / 4,00

Although gold is sometimes needed (basically to acquire hut tiles that requires gold), it's value is relatively low ... so the best way to acquire it is through Civ card bonuses, not through the river.

And a final thought:
since the expansion rules allow trading, will not the river become a desert ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Those numbers are all good and fine but in the end it all comes down to opportunity. If you can cash in 36 points with the 1-7 hut, that's a big boost, specially if you have supporting civ cards that grant you bonus points for huts.

Nobody should rush for gold in the early game, but towards the end it can definitely be worth your while, specially if you got your tools maxed out and can cash in a few gold with only 3 or 4 workers.

It all depends on what's where, and when it's there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't argue the math, but argue the flexibility.

Having a gold can make acquiring a hut handy. The civ cards that give you a gold (either directly or via dice roll) are convenient to get gold instead of having to put workers there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Matt
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ligtreb wrote:
I don't argue the math, but argue the flexibility.

The civ cards that give you a gold (either directly or via dice roll) are convenient to get gold instead of having to put workers there.

Precisely! Gold is quite fine when you need not roll to get it!
I have recognized that when I said: "the best way to acquire it is through Civ card bonuses, not through the river".
My point was about sending men into the river area!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Matt
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
If you can cash in 36 points with the 1-7 hut, that's a big boost, specially if you have supporting civ cards that grant you bonus points for huts.

A "huge" 36 points is just an illusion!
And if you have the supporting civ card that you refer, worst!

Why?
1- To get 6 gold (via the river) you will need - on average - about (4+4+4)=12 men (using no tools). A 13th man is required to buy the 1-7 hut. So you get:
36 points + #contructors on civ cards (bonus).

2- You may, alternatively, play (3+4+4=11) men on the forest to get - on average - about 12 wood (using no tools). Playing a 12th and a 13th men on 1-7 huts to buy them with 6 wood each(no necessarily in the same round), you will get:
2x(3x6)= 36 points + 2x #constructors on civ cards (bonus).

So, with wood you get the same 36 points (do you see the illusion?) and 1 additional hut which could worth bonus points (contrary to your assumption that gold benefits from the civ cards tha grant bonus from huts)

Furthermore, wood gives you more freedom, since you can use them to buy civ cards or use them on other huts.

Pedrator wrote:
It all depends on what's where, and when it's there.

Certainly!
Nevertheless, such evidence does not negate the fact that gold is the less valuable resource (when obtained via the river).

It was not my intention at all to say that gold is useless, just (sorry for repeating) that is the less valuable resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno. I got well over 300 points in a 3-player game a couple weeks ago by loading up on gold for the 1-7 buildings. I did that after acquiring tools so that I could push as many people as possible into the river to get the gold when it came time to cash in. Worked pretty well when combined with stone that I had collected earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Matt
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sredni Vashtar wrote:
I got well over 300 points in a 3-player game a couple weeks ago by loading up on gold for the 1-7 buildings.

Last sunday, my nephew has done the same and he has taken the 3th place!
This proves nothing indeed.
Fortunately, dice create random. You may win, you may lost, even with low probabilities. And players with good strategic could made bad "moves" and lose to not so good strategics...

Futhermore, as you can realise looking at the numbers, the difference between wood and gold is moderate/small, so it does not allow to conclude "do not buy gold".
And, yes, sometimes gold is the best option, surely.

You may believe, you may believe not the numbers I have presented.
Assuming they are right, all I was trying to show is that each 6-point gold worth, indeed, less than each 3-points wood when you get them via the river. It's all what I meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you buy a hut, you pay resources which cost about one pip per point. However, you also use up a worker action to get the hut, which is worth another 3.5 pips. Therefore the best huts are the expensive ones (which require gold), unless you have a bunch of hut multiplier cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
MattMartin wrote:
Pedrator wrote:
If you can cash in 36 points with the 1-7 hut, that's a big boost, specially if you have supporting civ cards that grant you bonus points for huts.

A "huge" 36 points is just an illusion!
And if you have the supporting civ card that you refer, worst!

Why?
1- To get 6 gold (via the river) you will need - on average - about (4+4+4)=12 men (using no tools). A 13th man is required to buy the 1-7 hut. So you get:
36 points + #contructors on civ cards (bonus).

Again, the maths is all fine and such but it doesn't cover circumstantial moves, for example, some rounds you might be left out of anything more interesting to do, so you use your last 2 workers to get some gold.

It's really simple as far as I see it. Evoking averages is all fine, but if we went by average we would be able to claim that we live in a world where everybody is equal.

Averages are meant to help you gain scope on something, don't use them to make a point... specially if dice are involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Matt
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
When you buy a hut, you pay resources which cost about one pip per point.

If you are neglecting the pips wasted, yes, they cost 1 pip per point.
My opinion is that wood costs about 0,9 pips per point and gold costs about 0,8 pips per cost (in either case when you send 3 men to the area)

I have read a lot of posts about "pips" and I decided to follow a different way. May be I am wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Matt
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:

Evoking averages is all fine, but if we went by average we would be able to claim that we live in a world where everybody is equal.

I am not claiming that every resource should be identical!
On the contrary, I would like to see more distint applications for each resource !

My point is just to note that gold (which is useful only to score points from huts, but a bad choice to buy civ cards) is also the less valuable when scoring from huts (in general, not in every situation!). Just to note this fact (in my opinion, of course).
Just this.

Pedrator wrote:

Averages are meant to help you gain scope on something, don't use them to make a point... specially if dice are involved.

To me and to some of my partners, those calculations helps us to decide in some situations and I wanted to share this information.
Just this.

If average means nothing to you, fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.