Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture» Forums » General

Subject: Editions and expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the base Viticulture and want the expansions. I am trying to decide if the full Tuscany expansion is worth its high cost (due to being out of print).

Does anyone use any of the expansions that are unique to the full Tuscany and not found in either Essentials Edition? If so, what do you like about them? What do they do to the game that you enjoy?

If you have the Essentials instead of Tuscany, do you miss the other expansions?

I have not played all of the Tuscany expansions but hope to.

Thank you.

Edited for spelling errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a clear comparison between editions.

Most people won't miss the couple things not included in Tuscany Essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the whole thing, and wouldn't miss Patronage or Mafia if I'd never seen them. I've tried Formaggio once, and it was interesting, but not amazing. I'd like to try it more. I've never tried Arboriculture, but I feel like it would have a similar vibe. At some point, there's just a lot going on, and adding extra things doesn't really enhance the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest getting Tuscany Essential and not worrying about the 'missing' expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original Tuscany, but I can say: We regularly play with patronage, but you would probably never miss it. Mafia has only been used to say we used it; don't care for it. Formaggio and Arboriculture are a nice occasional addition but it really does distract from the main game. The essential edition does have the best of the best. My advice is to save your money and buy the essential edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaoticGemini wrote:
I have the original Tuscany, but I can say: We regularly play with patronage, but you would probably never miss it. Mafia has only been used to say we used it; don't care for it. Formaggio and Arboriculture are a nice occasional addition but it really does distract from the main game. The essential edition does have the best of the best. My advice is to save your money and buy the essential edition.

I pretty much echo this, exactly. We use Patronage pretty regularly, but you won't miss it.

Essentials has all the good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have base Viticulture and if you get the Tuscany EE expansion that just came out, that would unfortunately mean you won't have the new/advanced Visitors, Mamas & Papas, and Property tiles. All of those definitely improve the game. I would almost consider the new/advanced Visitors a critical thing because the original Visitor cards were unbalanced towards being useful either early or late game but the advanced visitors fixed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigft64 wrote:
Since you have base Viticulture and if you get the Tuscany EE expansion that just came out, that would unfortunately mean you won't have the new/advanced Visitors, Mamas & Papas, and Property tiles. All of those definitely improve the game. I would almost consider the new/advanced Visitors a critical thing because the original Visitor cards were unbalanced towards being useful either early or late game but the advanced visitors fixed that.

Ah, good catch...I forgot about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
Bigft64 wrote:

I assumed, Brodie, you had Viticulture EE ... if have the 1st edition Viticulture then "full" Tuscany is a must-have IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sum zero
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there's a viticulture essential edition upgrade kit that provides the other missing elements. it's pretty inexpensive too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
Brodie17 wrote:
Bigft64 wrote:

I assumed, Brodie, you had Viticulture EE ... if have the 1st edition Viticulture then "full" Tuscany is a must-have IMO

Yessir, I do. I totally forgot the Visitor cards got rebalanced in that edition (it's the only one I've ever owned).

But ya, the upgrade kit might be the best (and cheapest) bet for getting the upgraded Visitors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
telos81 wrote:
Brodie17 wrote:
Bigft64 wrote:

Yessir, I do. I totally forgot the Visitor cards got rebalanced in that edition (it's the only one I've ever owned).

But ya, the upgrade kit might be the best (and cheapest) bet for getting the upgraded Visitors.

Yes. Essential upgrade + Tuscany EE will have you golden and only cost $40-45 or less if you find a sale or buy online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case, I have the 2nd Ed Viticulture and the full Tuscany but have never played with (and never felt the need to play with) Formaggio, Patronage, Arboriculture, or Mafia. I can see us mixing in the Special Workers at some point to change things up but have never played with them up to now. Everything else we consider "standard" to the game for us.

So I guess my recommendation would be Viticulture Essential + Tuscany Essential. Anything else you'd be missing from the old Tuscany isn't worth the price you'd have to pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification: I have the second edition Viticulture, not Viticulture Essentials Edition.

I played Patronage and didn't like it because the cards could be contra to a strategy, as it did for me. Mafia didn't sound good.

I definitely want the Advanced Visitors. I like Properties and Structures and the new board.

I guess I should try Formaggio and Arboriculture with my friends' copy first.

Thank you, everyone. The above picture of the expansions is very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.