Popular Tags: [View All]
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a card has a Sacrifice Ability (trash can icon) can you do both abilities on a card or do you choose which one?

For example Fire Gem, normal ability: 2 Gold, Sacrifice Ability: 3 damage.

Can I do both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. At least based on Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MadLad Designs
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
To clarify:

When playing your fire gem card, you will gain its gold value, added to your pool, because you have played it.

Once it is in your field, and the gold value is in your pool, you can decide, at any time during your turn and before you end your turn and discard your cards, to sacrifice it in order to add its combat value to your pool.

You do not have the option to sacrifice the card without gaining its gold value, since you cannot sacrifice the card from your hand for its combat value (you can through a red card, but that wouldn't give you its combat value). So you HAVE to play it before you can sac it.

This means that you can never choose one ability between the two if a card has a trash icon: you can only choose whether or not to active its trash ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may do both!

Example: A card has a main effect and 3 other sections, an ally ability, a sacrifice ability and an expend ability.

First you have to fully resolve the main effect which is always in the text field on top and has no icons in front of it. This happens always if you play any card.

In the meantime you could play other cards or spend gold/combat because those 3 other effects I listed can be played "anytime" during your turn.

Lets go back to my example, you could trigger the other 3 effects in any order (the ally effect if you are allowed to do so). You always have to fully resolve an ability/section of a card in order to start a new action during your turn.

If you activate the sacrifice ability, the card will be sacrificed and if you forgot to activate the ally ability for example, bad luck. There is no more chance to do it.

BUT as already mentioned, if you use the sacrifice ability/effect, previously used effects still applied and won't be neutralized.

PS. This was just an example, such a card doesn't exist.
There is no card right now which features all kinds of abilities.

I hope this explanation wasn't confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shevalier
Canada
Orillia
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing." -Henry David Thoreau
mbmbmbmbmb
Another slightly related question.

When you play a card with a gold value, does that card stay in the pool or move immediately to the discard? For example, if I play a fire gem and buy something with its gold value would it immediately move to by discard pile, thus not allowing me to sacrifice it? Or does it stay in the pool and not get discarded till the discard phase? Does this apply for regular gold cards as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shevalier wrote:

When you play a card with a gold value, does that card stay in the pool or move immediately to the discard? For example, if I play a fire gem and buy something with its gold value would it immediately move to by discard pile, thus not allowing me to sacrifice it? Or does it stay in the pool and not get discarded till the discard phase? Does this apply for regular gold cards as well?

All cards are discarded at the very end of your turn, after you played your cards, bought cards, attacked, used abilities and so on.

The fire gem would stay in play and you could use the sacrifice ability.
You are not allowed to use abilities of cards if they aren't in play.
If the fire gem would be discarded right after you played the card you could never use the sacrifice ability.

EDIT: Champions stay in play at the end of the turn if not stunned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmb
Shevalier wrote:

All cards played remain in front of you until you end your turn, at which point all cards in your play area - with the exception of Champions, - and the cards in your hand are moved to your discard pile, and then you draw 5 cards, and shuffle your discard pile to form your deck if necessary.

This ensures that you cannot start an infinite loop where you draw your cards and play them forever in the same turn, and prevents you from sacrificing a card you have played this turn, from your discard pile.

The pool is different from the play area. If you play a gold card, you put it in your play area, and add its gold value to your gold pool, from which you can spend it to purchase cards. The gold card itself is not spent or moved during the purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNeil
msg tools
So you can play the fire gem, which adds 2 to the gold pool.

Then sacrifice it for 3 damage.

And then purchase the card back.

This seems like a goofy mechanic to me, am I missing something?

If so it is basically 2 gold and 3 damage with the option to sacrifice it at any time to remove it from your deck (at least while you have it in hand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
mcmeeple wrote:
So you can play the fire gem, which adds 2 to the gold pool.

Then sacrifice it for 3 damage.

And then purchase the card back.

This is correct.
Although you usually wouldn't do that it is handy if you have 2 Gold you can't spend in any other way but you don't want to thicken your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.