Popular Tags: [View All]
matthew malecki
msg tools
This is a Hawkeye, Green Arrow, Robin Hood Hero
More of a Dungeons and Dragons feel.

The Hood
HP: 28

Standard Bow
Power: Draw a card and (you may play 1 Arrow or The Hood deals 1 Target 1 Projectile damage.)

Incapacitated Powers:
- Destroy an Environment card.
- One Hero deals 1 target 1 Projectile damage.
- One Hero may draw 1 card.

Equipment (2 total)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2x Compound Bow (Equipment, Bow):
Power: Draw a card and (you may play up to 2 Arrows or The Hood deals 1 Target 1 Projectile damage then 1 Target 1 Projectile damage.)

Ongoings (13 total)

1x Adders Bite (Ongoing, Enchant, Limited):
When this card enters play, put an Arrow from the trash into your hand.
Increase Toxic damage with Arrows by 1.
When you deal Toxic damage with an Arrow, after damage is dealt if that target has 3 or fewer HP destroy it.

1x Cold Snap (Ongoing, Enchant, Limited):
Increase Cold damage with Arrows by 1.
When you deal a Non-Character target Cold damage with an Arrow, that target cannot deal damage, until the start of your next turn.

1x Flame Tongue (Ongoing, Enchant, Limited):
Increase Fire damage with Arrows by 3.

1x Lightning Arc (Ongoing, Enchant, Limited):
When you deal Lightning damage with an Arrow, Deal 1 additional target 2 Lightning damage then deal 1 Target 1 Lightning damage.

1x Shatter Blast (Ongoing, Enchant, Limited):
Increase Sonic damage with Arrows by 1
When you deal Sonic damage with an Arrow, you may destroy an Ongoing or a Non-Target Environment.[/b]

2x Favored Terrain (Ongoing, Limited):
The Hood is immune to damage from environment cards.

2x Fletcher (Ongoing, Limited):
Power: Reveal 3 cards. If any of those cards are Arrows put them in your hand put the rest on the bottom of the deck. Draw a card.
Power: Search your trash for 2 Arrows, shuffle them into your deck, Draw a card.

2x Rapid Draw Shot(Ongoing, Limited):
When you play an Arrow, The Hood may deal himself 1 Melee damage and to play another Arrow or Draw a card.

2x Over Draw (Ongoing, Limited):
Increase The Hoods Projectile damage by 1.
When you play an Arrow card, you may discard 1 card. If you do, increase The Hoods Projectile damage by 2 on that Arrow.

One-Shot (25 total)

3x Ballistic Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
The Hood deals 1 target 3 Projectile damage.

3x Hornet Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
The Hood deals 3 targets 1 Projectile damage.

[b]3x Still Frost Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
The Hood deals 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Cold or Sonic damage

3x Pyro Acidic Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
The Hood deals 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Fire or Toxic damage

3x Flame Bolt Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
The Hood deals 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Fire or Lightning damage

3x Thunder Clap Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
The Hood deals 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Lightning or Sonic damage

3x Corrosive Ice Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
The Hood deals 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Cold or Toxic damage

4x Enchanter (One-Shot):
Search your deck or trash for an Enchant and put it into play or your hand, if you searched your deck shuffle it.

- Removed 1 of each Enchant
- Added 2 Enchanter
- Reworded Rapid Shot
- Reworded Cold Snap
- Removed Entangling Arrow
- Added Shatter Blast and Sonic Arrow
- Revised base power.
- Revised enchanter
- Removed restriction on Arrow cards
- Increased Flame tongue and Lightning Arc damage by 1
- Revised Compound Bow
- Added an effect to each Enchant to find an Arrow
- Added an effect to Fletcher
- Revised Overdraw
- Revised All Enchants
- Renamed Rapid Shot to Rapid Draw
- Revised Base Power and Compound Bow
- Deleted Frigid Arrow, Inferno Arrow, Poison Arrow, Shock Arrow, & Sonic Arrow
- Added Still Frost Arrow, Pyro Acidic Arrow, Flame Bolt Arrow, Thunder Clap Arrow, & Corrosive Ice Arrow
- Revised Cold Snap
- Revised Overdraw

Playtest Cards 2/3/17

Link to all my stuff
The Armory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: The Hood
This is a really neat and well put together deck. I like it a lot. Too bad there was no boxing glove arrow. Lol, the silly thing that dc and marvel probably regret making. Anyways, I do feel that the hood is pretty healthy for a character with so much control and not really any tank abilities. The high hp might make him a bit too good with all the control and damage he has. Also seems like it might be better to drop one of the arrows down 1 so that you have 1 more enchanter card as that is a strong way to get your enchant cards to support your character. Maybe Hornet Arrow or Entangling Arrow as those will harm him the least in reducing. Anyways, just my two cents. Really good job though on the feel of the archer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
I'm not gonna lie I came here really hoping someone made a hero conversion of Marvel's The Hood for Sentinels.
Still, it looks like an interesting idea. The biggest problem I see with it is that eventually you're going to hit a point where all you have in your hand is arrows (probably for a few turns, given they make up 2/3 of the deck) and having to skip your play phase (which really means skipping your power phase and playing a mediocre one shot, even with the right enchantment for most of them). Some people may not find that so bad but personally i'd end up frustrated if my entire turn was "Okay, I do 2 (or even 4) damage, next."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
There is only 21 arrow cards 1/2 not 2/3 and all Hero's at one time or another will deal no damage or 2 (4). I'm sort you don't see the possibilities but not all Hero's are for every one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
On a first pass I think I agree with Matt, he might have pretty serious card flow issues. With the exception of his arrows, none of his cards do anything by themselves. Adder's Bite and friends just buff his arrows, Enchanter just gets Adder's bite and friends, Rapid show/Overdraw/Compound bow just make him play arrows faster. Fletcher is the only one that GETS him arrows, and even that, as a power, is competing with the arrows themselves as they can only be played as a power.

I'm imagining the following...
Turn 1: Start with Compound Bow, Rapid Shot and a couple of arrows.
Play: Compound bow
Power: Compound bow to fire two arrows
Draw: An arrow

Turn 2: I have in hand an arrow and Rapid Shot.
Play: Rapid Shot
Power: I could in theory fire three arrows, but I only have one, so that.

Every turn thereafter...
Either I draw an arrow the previous turn and..
Play: Nothing
Power: Shoot an arrow

Or I draw something else...
Play: Something to theoretically improve the arrows I don't have.
Power: Draw a card and cross my fingers?

It just seems he has a lot of ways to burn through cards fast and very limited ways to replenish his hand - Fletcher is okay, should draw 1-2 arrows on average, but it is a 1/20 to draw. The innate power works okay, but it also means that in this turn where I draw the card (either by innate or Fletcher) I by defintion can't have fired an arrow and thus haven't really contributed anything to the team, other than hopefully get a 3-4 damage one-shot for next turn.

Off the top of my head, is there a major reason why the arrows can't be played during the play phase? It would mean if you don't have anything else exciting happen you can fire an arrow then draw in your power phase, thus you wouldn't feel like you wasted your play. Alternately, the power could be play an arrow AND draw a card? Possibly both?

I also like the spirit of the Enchants, but some of them are bit uneven, Flametongue and Lightning Arc in particular. Even in the perfect case where I have, say, Enchanter and a fire arrow in hand. I use Enchanter to get Flametongue, which just sits in my hand this turn. NEXT turn I use another play phase to get it out and then shoot the fire arrow, and my reward is 1 extra damage? If I play every arrow in the deck, a grand total of three extra damage? Seems pretty low yield for potentially two play phases - perhaps Enchanter should put it into play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
I think you are right on the Enchanter card it should be search and play.
I did not want to make the arrows to powerful that is why I made them how they are. I will be doing more play testing and I might take the restriction off.
I was thinking about raising the damage of all the enchants by 1 but I think that would over power them due to the fact you can play more than 1 arrow at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
After some games this morning I removed the restriction on the arrows. I also increased damage on Flame Tongue and Lightning Arc seeing as they only affect a total of 6 cards in the deck. Thanks for the input Michael and Matt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
I was thinking of making Over Draw as follows
Over Draw (Ongoing, Limited): Anytime this turn, discard up to 1 card. Until the end of this Turn, increase Projectile damage of all Arrows by 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
So I was looking through the deck and he actually seems like a pretty cool character. I have a few concerns though.

1.) His enchant cards seem oddly specific. I don't see any real reason for requiring him to have played an arrow card as being a requirement (it just seems to me to be extra wordy and will rarely come out to be a big deal.) These cards could very well be simplified. Flame Tongue could be simplified to just increasing his Fire damage dealt. Adders Bite could simply be "whenever you deal Toxic damage, after resolving that damage if the target has 3 or fewer HP destroy it." No real need to include the "when you play an arrow" especially because that particular text kinda muddies up how you resolve the effect. (i.e. what if another effect makes me deal damage to something else because I played the arrow?)

etc. etc. for the others

2.)Shatter Blast destroying a device: This can really wreck some villains and would be the only card in game that directly destroys devices (not that being the only card in game that does something is bad, but there may be a reason as to why other cards don't. . . ). I can think of at least 2 villains whom this card could easily rack up 5+ damage for the effect just off the top of my head. (Ambuscade and Baron Blade). You may want to reconsider this card being able to destroy devices (Ongoing is fine). Another possible factor is that we know that Luminary (BB Hero conversion) will use devices and could have negative interaction with him.

3.) Rapid Shot: The wording "X takes Y damage" is never used in official hero/villain decks. In part this is because it's vague as to the source of the damage and another part is for consistency. Rewording this to "When you play an Arrow, you may deal yourself 1 Melee damage to play another Arrow." is more consistent with official wording and clearly designates target and damage source.

4.)The arrows, without the enchants, feel very. . . .bland. I understand that they need to be weak as the compound bow allows you 2 arrows per turn, but the Arrows themselves have no real flavor. Damage types in DnD can be very important. In Sentinels, it almost never matters (only a few isolated instances really).

Other than the above I think he actually has quite a bit of potential and could be a lot of fun. Keep working on him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Thanks for the input I will make appropriate changes to the cards for consistency reasons. The reason for all the damage types, I wanted arrow to have different effects, not every arrow does x damage. Shatter Blast will have device removed and will add non-target environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
fleck1313 wrote:
Thanks for the input I will make appropriate changes to the cards for consistency reasons. The reason for all the damage types, I wanted arrow to have different effects, not every arrow does x damage. Shatter Blast will have device removed and will add non-target environment.

Well now I feel silly. Lightning arc now technically has an infinite damage loop. That one may need an additional restriction. (i.e first time each turn, until you play another card, etc etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Well I guess that makes me look foolish as well. I did not look at the ramifications of changing cards I just changed it. I will need to put a stipulation in. Chris thanks for the update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Re: Custom Hero: The Hood
Added the following to each enchant card.
This way they are still good cards even if you played all the arrow cards for that enchant. You can put the played arrow into your hand to play again and make use of the Enchant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Revised Overdraw and Rapid Shot

Once this turn, you may discard 1 card. Until the end of this Turn, increase Projectile damage of all Arrows by 2.
When you play an Arrow, you may discard 1 card to increase the Projectile damage of that Arrow by 2.

2x Rapid Shot (Ongoing, Limited):
When you play an Arrow, The Hood may deal himself 1 Melee damage and to play another Arrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Changed his HP to 28, after some play testing. He was a little Squishy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
- Revised Base Power

Added actual damage to attack. So if you are out of cards or cant play cards you can still do damage.

Standard Bow
Power: Draw a card and (you may play 1 Arrow or deal 1 Target 1 Projectile damage.)

- Revised Compound Bow

Added actual damage to attack. So if you are out of cards or cant play cards you can still do damage.

Compound Bow (Equipment, Bow):
Power: Draw a card and (you may play up to 2 Arrows or deal 1 Target 1 Projectile damage then 1 Target 1 Projectile damage.)

- Adders Bite Increase Toxic damage with Arrows by 1.
- Cold Snap Increase Cold damage with Arrows by 1.
- Flame Tongue Increase Fire damage with Arrows by 3.When you deal Cold -- Lightning Arc and deal 1 Target 1 Lightning damage.
- Shatter Blast Increase Sonic damage with Arrows by 1.

- Fletcher
Power: Reveal 3 cards. If any of those cards are Arrows put them in your hand put the rest on the bottom of the deck. Draw a card.

- 2x Rapid Draw Ongoing, Limited):
When you play an Arrow, The Hood may deal himself 1 Melee damage and to play another Arrow or Draw a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really good changes to give him a little more consistency. I was wondering if you have ever though of maybe changing it so that the enchants give arrows their elemental damage instead of increasing and the arrows are more of a delivery system than just a damage type. Such as exploding arrow would deal damage to all targets and the enchant in play would make it say sonic or poison or fire. Depending on what is out. Or a piercing arrow which the damage of would be irreducible. Just an idea for another way to go since the enchant seem very limited in viability as there are only 3 of each arrow. I know there is search and recovery cards, but for consistency, and maybe a bit more utility is all I am suggesting. Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Jaggid88 wrote:
Really good changes to give him a little more consistency.

Thanks. After some play testing he needed the change. When there is damage reduction he was shut down or when he was not able to play cards.

Jaggid88 wrote:
I was wondering if you have ever though of maybe changing it so that the enchants give arrows their elemental damage instead of increasing and the arrows are more of a delivery system than just a damage type. Such as exploding arrow would deal damage to all targets and the enchant in play would make it say sonic or poison or fire. Depending on what is out. Or a piercing arrow which the damage of would be irreducible. Just an idea for another way to go since the enchant seem very limited in viability as there are only 3 of each arrow. I know there is search and recovery cards, but for consistency, and maybe a bit more utility is all I am suggesting. Just an idea.

No i never gave it to much thought doing it that way. I wanted the arrows to just deal damage. I wanted the enchants to make the Arrows special But due to your comments I will make all arrows (except Hornet and Ballistic) do 2 types of damage. ie: 1 Fire or Acid damage. this will make him more versatile and give more choice to the player depending on the enchants that are out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
- Deleted x3 Frigid Arrow, x3 Inferno Arrow, x3 Poison Arrow, x3 Shock Arrow, & x3 Sonic Arrow

- Added
3x Still Frost Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
Deal 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Cold or Sonic damage

3x Pyro Acidic Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
Deal 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Fire or Toxic damage

3x Flame Bolt Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
Deal 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Fire or Lightning damage

3x Thunder Clap Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
Deal 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Lightning or Sonic damage

3x Corrosive Ice Arrow (One-Shot, Arrow):
Deal 1 target 1 Projectile damage and 1 Cold or Toxic damage[/b]

This will give more variety for the Player based on what Enchants or Situation is in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
- Revised Over Draw

Once per turn, you may discard 1 card. Until the end of that Turn, increase The Hoods Projectile damage by 2.

This will affect his base power and compound bow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Added Playtest cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Play tested vs Vlad. Won by shutting his damage down with Cold Snap. Vlad could not deal damage for 5 rounds. so he could not heal either. but cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Revised Overdraw

Increase The Hoods Projectile damage by 1.
When you play an Arrow card, you may discard 1 card. If you do, increase The Hoods Projectile damage by 2 on that Arrow.[/b]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
Playtest Cards 2/3/17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.