Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5/3/3/3 cards in Tier 3 are, of course, awful. If they were worth 4 or 5 points, maybe it'd be more reasonable. But there they are, being blatantly overpriced.

I'm new-ish to Splendor, and I'm a casual game designer, so... what gives? I see some possibilities:
- They're designed to clog the top row
- They're designed to help players playing for a 3/3/3 noble, as a game balance vs players going for the 7 & 7/3's. Okay, sure, but after that much commitment to bonuses, they're only worth 3 points?
- You can get them even in a 2-3 player game with lots of chip hoarding. Okay, maybe, but shouldn't you reserve a card or two to get gold?

Being as typing out your opinion is more work than clicking, here's a poll...
Poll
Why are the 5/3/3/3 Tier 3 cards in the game/so overpriced?
To clog the Tier 3 card row?
To reward players collecting lots of discounts and an aligned noble?
To save players who don't grab gold in a game when everyone hoards chips?
Some other reason? (Explain below)
No, they're just badly overpriced!
      18 answers
Poll created by dr.mrow

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
Australia
Marrickville (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not overpriced. The individual numbers (3,5) are relatively low, so the cards are relatively easy to come by. Once you have 2-3 cards of each colour, you're almost there.

Even though the total cost (3+3+3+5=14) seems high, I think the point value is quite appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
jlwill wrote:
Their not overpriced. The individual numbers (3,5) are relatively low, so the cards are relatively easy to come by. Once you have 2-3 cards of each colour, you're almost there.

Even though the total cost (3+3+3+5=14) seems high, I think the point value is quite appropriate.

Agreed, especially in a 2 player game, where it's difficult to come by 7 of any color, it's much more realistic to be able to get a couple cards of each color, hold onto a few gems, and get those cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jlwill wrote:
Their not overpriced. The individual numbers (3,5) are relatively low, so the cards are relatively easy to come by. Once you have 2-3 cards of each colour, you're almost there.

Agreed with this 100%. Late in the game, depending on what you have, they're often easier to get than the 6-of-a-kind 3-point Tier 2 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, they're absolutely overpriced. They're rarely worth buying because of how.wildly inefficient they are, but they do help balance high-tier strategies with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.