BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Sell Me On Your Favorite "What's Your Game?" game!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mo

Waynesboro
Pennsylvania
msg tools
I have been looking at these games for a while after buying ZhanGuo. All of them look interesting for sure, but what is your favorite, if you couldn't get them all?

Weight doesn't bother me too much as there are good learning videos, and we don't really care about AP too much. We are mainly looking for a good, fun, game. I am drawn to Madeira and Railroad Revolution more, but I also don't know too much about Signorie and Nippon. What makes them unique?

So, what's your favorite and Why?

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played them all, and for me there are 4 that are tops (in this order):
1) Madeira
2) Asgard
3) Railroad Revolution
4) Vasco da Gama

Madeira is probably the heaviest, and also has a dice element. Which for at least one guy I know didn't work for him. But I've played with lots of folks who love it. FWIW, it's also the best looking (well, all of the above are very nice looking, with the exception of RR, which is a bit pedestrian).

Note that for #1 and #2, they didn't have the written rules fully polished when the games were released, which caused some angst for some players. There are high quality PDFs available from the publisher with updated rules which greatly help. Rules for #3 were fine, as well as #4, even though that one is older.

ZhangGuo doesn't quite make the list, although it's still a keeper for me. Nippon and Signorie I found interesting, and certainly "good", but ultimately decided that I didn't need either in my collection, and I sold them both.

BTW, their one filler, Oddville, is also decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've already bought my favorite (ZhanGuo). Of the others I have played, I recommend them in the following order:

1) Nippon - it is an interesting resource management game made challenging by the inability to hoard resources and the desire to be as efficient as possible with your selection of worker colors (in order to be able to make progress after consolidation). The different factory bonus abilities give some variety to the game, but it is first and foremost an area majority game.

2) Madeira - it is the most intricate of their games, and I love how all aspects of the game are connected. I am less fond of it than I was initially, but I still would gladly play it anytime.

3) Signorie - I felt like this one needed a little more tweaking before its release (it has several official variants that should be used). Nevertheless, the core mechanism of the dice drafting is one of the more intriguing versions of it that I have seen. One downside to me is the static bonus layout for the helpers you can hire...to me, that aspect could have made the game truly great if you could pick and choose your bonuses similarly to ZhanGuo.

I am still awaiting Railroad Revolution with great expectations. It seems to be the lightest of the WYG? line, which is probably going to be a positive for getting it to the table more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it goes in this order:

1. Madeira - As mentioned, this is the heaviest. But I love dice-allocation games, so it really strikes the right nerve with me.
2. ZhanGuo - I played my second game last night, with 2 players. More than most games, you can get that what-the-heck-am-I-doing feeling during the first couple rounds. But once it starts to come together, it's become my favorite tableau builder (not counting TtA).
3. Railroad Revolution - I've only played it once, and when I finished it, I was left in a bit of a stupor. But after thinking about it for a while now, I think I'm going to buy it. It's a solid game by the same designers as ZhanGuo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
UR and OddVille. The rest is complexity for complexity's sake, although OddVille is pushing it in this category, too. But at least you can play a game in half an hour or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo

Waynesboro
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Hey thanks for all the help! These are good in depth suggestions, and that is awesome! I would love to try Madeira because of the dice allocation, but trying to find people to play with could be challenging. It sounds like I may be getting Railroad Revolution, and trying the others out when the opportunity arises.

There are just too many good games out there, and not enough days yet! Thanks again!

Milo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Vinhos but it was excellent. Just a very nice mesh of mechanics. I get the impression that all of the games they put out are quality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.