Steve C
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just setup a Twitch account.
https://www.twitch.tv/genchaos33

Any other wargamers using twitch for streams, videos, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I don't use Twitch but I do watch E-League Counter Strike: Global Offensive playoffs on TBS every Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asking who DOES, not who DOESN'T.

So no thanks for your no answer? hehe(I watch E:L on TBS too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Live videos of wargames? Excellent. I insist that, were it not for a lack of an audience, playing proper simulation-based wargames could be considered a form of performance art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Polux
msg tools
mbmbmb

No, I watch wargame re-plays (specifically ASL) on You Tube. It does the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
I insist that, were it not for a lack of an audience, playing proper simulation-based wargames could be considered a form of performance art.
Uh, have you ever been to performance art? I'd say 'no audience' is a hallmark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most wargames are too slow in playing to be of interest for Twitch.

Hearthstone is the perfect game for Twitch: easy overview, fast animated turns and games are over in 5-7 minutes.

Even the easiest wargames take hours to finish and mostly have very long turns.

Everyone would fall asleep if playing/ watching one of the best competitive old wargames like The Russian Campaign.

Even the card board version of Magic the Gathering is not really suited for Twitch.

Fast/easy platforms are not suited for 99.5% of board wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
adm1 wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
I insist that, were it not for a lack of an audience, playing proper simulation-based wargames could be considered a form of performance art.
Uh, have you ever been to performance art? I'd say 'no audience' is a hallmark!

It's that ancient conundrum: if an artist performs in an empty room, is it still art? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the twitch wargaming is for a charity?

I'm thinking maybe a wargame day marathon and looking for donations.

Most likely it would be solo wargaming unless I find a willing player.
Using Vassal or Matrix-like PC wargames. Maybe a few live table games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
The Dude Abides
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Steven from Virginia regularly streams Star Wars Armada and other board games, including a few euor-wargames, using a very impressive setup.

https://www.twitch.tv/wwpdsteven

For example, here's is a game of Rebellion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iaW_kpc1G4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
The charity part is an interesting addition but aside from that I'm not sure what it would have to offer that watching a playthrough doesn't already provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
Most wargames are too slow in playing to be of interest for Twitch.

Hearthstone is the perfect game for Twitch: easy overview, fast animated turns and games are over in 5-7 minutes.

Even the easiest wargames take hours to finish and mostly have very long turns.

Everyone would fall asleep if playing/ watching one of the best competitive old wargames like The Russian Campaign.

Even the card board version of Magic the Gathering is not really suited for Twitch.

Fast/easy platforms are not suited for 99.5% of board wargames.

Yet here in the UK they have televised fishing! It would probably need a good narration filled with historical detail and the choices and decisions of each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can watch live plays of any game in my collection in real time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are almost always some spectators when people play ASL on Vassal (VASL). Even though it's slow and spectators cannot see concealed units on either side. Still, I wouldn't expect much from Twitch, but you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do wargaming videos on YouTube. I get a surprising number of views even on the long meandering ones, and some wargaming YouTubers have subscriber counts in the thousands. I watched an RPG stream the other day that had like 10K people watching. So I think that while you're obviously not going to get League of Legends numbers, there's an audience for thinkier stuff.

I have had a Twitch account for years but only got it set up to stream a couple of days ago. I may do some VASSAL stuff there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardwulf wrote:
I do wargaming videos on YouTube. I get a surprising number of views even on the long meandering ones, and some wargaming YouTubers have subscriber counts in the thousands. I watched an RPG stream the other day that had like 10K people watching. So I think that while you're obviously not going to get League of Legends numbers, there's an audience for thinkier stuff.

I have had a Twitch account for years but only got it set up to stream a couple of days ago. I may do some VASSAL stuff there.

I love your videos, especially your How to Wargame series (even though it's still incomplete). Thanks for doing it!

I like to pull up wargame videos while I'm at work and listen to them. I prefer ones that talk through what they're doing and it isn't just breathing into the mic as they quietly take their turn. I'd love it if more people started doing videos. I've added everyone mentioned here that I didn't already know about and will check them out.

Great thread, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.