BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Create & Play your Own Board Game Online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Jones
msg tools
Fellow Game Designers,

Check out this board game creating engine at https://www.GameStructor.com

You can create your own online board game! Game boards, decks, dice, are drawn with pixel art. Create a brand new game or change up your favorite game. Create role playing maps or a crazy games with your own art. Create any game imaginable!

After you create your game you can play it online with your friends and family within your own private game room. Games are played in real time, without emails or browser refreshing. The game rooms can support card games, board games, dice games, or any game consisting of all three.

Need ideas or inspiration to create your own game? Search other games created within GameStructor. Templates are provided to streamline game creation and you can copy other public game components. This is a community of fun and imagination. The game combinations are endless.

Comments, Suggestions are welcome

admin@gamestructor.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try it out. I have used both Tabletop simulator and Vassal (as well as programming my own game websites), but this looks reasonably usable at first glance. Do you mind if I write a review of my first thoughts here (after I try it out for a few days)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Choate
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to give it a try for some play testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theTrueMikeBrown wrote:
I'll try it out. I have used both Tabletop simulator and Vassal (as well as programming my own game websites), but this looks reasonably usable at first glance. Do you mind if I write a review of my first thoughts here (after I try it out for a few days)?

I'd love to see a critique/compare/contrast of this vs. the others, how they handle dice, decks, simulated boards, hidden hands, simulated tokens & minis, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools
theTrueMikeBrown wrote:

Please do. I am looking for anything that will enhance user experience.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Here is preliminary feedback: I made a game (it took about 45 minutes), but couldn't test it out because I can't play it without 2 players (the interface will not allow me to start a game all alone)

Here are my notes that I took during the game creation step. After work I might try to rig up a way to get another fake player so that I can test game play.

* You might want to note that this is in beta, and that the users will be testing it out.
* link to a google doc would be nice - my rules docs are not that large, and are still more than 5x longer than you allow in your rule doc section.
* I went to make a game, and then had to add a rule sheet, and then it didn't take me back to the game I was making when it was done. Save state perhaps?
* The ability to upload an image to a tile, token, or card would be nice (I have premade images, which I would prefer to use to hand drawn ones)

vs

* Saving a token gave "Required validation failed on changerects", I couldn't make one until I went back later.
* Having to click choose to select a color is sort of annoying. It should choose on blur.
* It should remember what page you are on when editing your cards.
* 200 decks seems like overkill to me, but 100 cards per deck seems a little bit too few.
* Add card functionality is smooth, but remove card reordered my cards
* I want more from tiles -> My game needs a mat that has text on it and an image that you can place cards beside.
* Player ranges would be nice (2-4)
* Keyboard controls would be nice.
* Also, the ability to make a game without a board , or tokens, or tiles would be nice.
* I can't test a game out without having another player, so I am stuck right now (it would have been nice to see what gameplay was actually like.)

All in all, it seems like a well thought out system that needs some bugs to be removed from it before it is ready for the big time.

I will try to use it some more before I give up, but if I can't test my games out without another player I will give up eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools

Thanks for the feedback. These issues will be addressed. Under game configuration you can un-check the turn based option and it will allow you to play test your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools
New features and bug fixes have been applied to https://www.GameStructor.com

* Image upload is now available. This is a tool for creating original artwork not importing copyrighted material.

* Removed color picker buttons.

* Pagination persistence is turned on.

* Games can be created without boards, decks, and dice.

* Added info in game creating process to not use "turn based game" option for play testing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools
Release Updates: Users can now make their games public. Public games are now searchable and other users can now play them. Gamestructor now has a set of free games that are available to all users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools
Take a look at the tutorial online to learn how to create your own game.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Create-Play-and-Share-Your-O...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools
follow on twitter for latest updates, and next features
https://twitter.com/gamestructor

Please let us know any feature you want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but is it easy to use this to mock up a deck of prototype cards, even if they're text-only?

Making real cards, cutting them out then shuffling the flimsy or smearable mock-ups is a pain. Would be nice to use my iPad to draw random cards and make adjustments to the deck while testing prototypes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools

Art isn't required when making any game component. When designing games I recommend adding the art last to your game components after you've play tested your game and worked out the kinks. The drawing editor needs a few updates to become touch friendly for tablets & phones, but in the mean time you can import images and utilize the templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Looks interesting. I will give it a try. As a young teenager, a group of my neighborhood friends made up a game that was a knock off or Monopoly. We had a blast doing it. This brings up good memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools
Release v1.03 updates

Optimized game room layouts to enhance user experience on desktop and mobile resolutions.

Added collapsible widgets mini-viewer, users grid

Touch enabled for drag-drop of tokens, tiles, cards, and dice sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.