Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I'm looking to motivate myself to finish painting the 2 core sets before wave 2 finally gets here, so I'll be sharing my progress here!

Any and all constructive feedback will be greatly appreciated!!

I had never painted any minis before these, and I want to get better at it.
I find it fun and relaxing to sit down and paint.

The only paints I have for now are the 2 Army Painter paint sets from the Kickstarter. I primed all my minis with Army Painter spray primer in Skeleton Bone.

Here's an album of everything so far: http://imgur.com/a/7CMQH

Done:
Bandido
Preacher
US Marshal
Gunslinger
HellBats
6 Tentacles
Stranglers
Night Terrors
Void Spiders
Slashers

To do:
Indian Scout
Lawman
Rancher
Saloon Girl
6 Tentacles
Hungry Dead
Harbinger
Goliath
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first minis I painted ~2 years ago (kind of guessing, don't really remember) were the tentacles. They seemed the easiest.

I spent a LOT of time on these, probably over 6h total for 6 tentacles. I think I might've been diluting my paint too much, as it would take 4-5 coats to get decent coverage.

However, I do like the results. I think I did a pretty good job with the lighter green highlights. This was not done with dry brushing. I still haven't figured out dry brushing.

The next minis I did were the HellBats.

These also took way too long, especially the wings. It took me forever to get the lights, bony bits looking decent, I kept getting bone paint on the wings, or vice versa.

I wish the texture in the body (the "wrinkles") was more pronounced.

And I now notice that I never painted the rocks in the base... Oops.

Next I did the Stranglers.

I find these a little too dark. I might be tempted to attempt some dry brushing on them. Does that sound like a good idea?

And the last miniatures I painted with my initial burst of motivation were the Night Terrors.

I spent a lot of time trying to get some shading into these, to make the textured fur stand out more, but I'm not 100% satisfied with them. I do like the eyes though.

If I retouch them, I might paint some of the dark stone on their backs purple, try and dry brush some white/light blue over the fur, color in their nails and make their palms lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After those models I painted almost 2 years ago I took a very long break from painting, and then eventually started on the spiders.

God painting the spiders is a pain in the ***. The spiders were such a bore and a pain to paint, that they actually sat unfinished for many months. But then I had a game day set with some friends, and I wanted to paint our Heroes, so I finished them before doing our 4 Heroes.

Why the heck would they bother to put a mouth on the bottom of the spiders? Makes them take longer to paint (and there are a LOT of them), and you basically never see the mouths while you're playing.

I'm not satisfied with how the wash came out. I find them too dark, and I think they just look dirty - not like dirty spiders (that'd be good) but like dirty miniatures.

If I ever retouch these it'll be because I've painted everything else from wave 1 and wave 2 isn't here yet.

And then the Heroes!

My favorite of the four is the Bandido, since he has more color and details.

There are 2 things I think these could use to make them better:

1) Some dry brushing (I really need to learn/practice this), since even with a wash I find the colors are quite flat. Some highlights should help them pop more.

2) Faces. Someone please tell me how to make their faces look better. The Badido is ok since he has a mustache, but the Priest... sheesh. He looks like he already has a bad face Injury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good! I especially like the tentacles. They were the first things I painted too You did a fantastic job picking out the boney ridges on the flying guys, too. Very sharp.

As for faces... I don't think there's much you can do to make the faces on the base game figures look any better. The detail just isn't there. The wave 2 minis are much clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff especially for first time painting. Dry brushing is actually pretty easy the trick is to make sure you wipe off all the paint and and when you think you have it all off wipe it off some more!. It does seriously wreck brushes though so don't waste any good brushes on this technique.

The Priest has a very bad face the best I have seen is:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Lew
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I am by no means an experienced painter, this was the 2nd game I've painted (zombicide was the first, which was great since all errors you just cover with blood).

I think you did a great job! love the streaks of red (I think it's red) on the wings of the hell bats. Also love the night terrors. I don't have city of ancients, but I think they look cool

one thing I did (not sure if it's good or not) was give more texture on the tentacle rocks by giving it a mix of browns and greys. it was still early in my painting career, but this is how it came out

recently I also painted the Guardian. I am not good with highlighting yet, I think I'm doing something wrong. but he still looks so cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
For faces it's important to get the highlight right to giv them the right 'depth'.
I usually put a lighter spot on the cheekbones, the chin and the forehead.
A quick search on google:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klutz,

Love the idea of the thread. Not only does it show the progression of a learning painter (which is encouraging to others) but is a great place to share model specific techniques.

I am fairly new to painting myself. I think the first thing I see overall is that there is a lot of great detail in the minis that could be brought out more with not a lot of work. It takes the least amount of painting time to leverage the textures themselves. In this case, painting the base colors brighter than you might want them in the finished state, and then a quick wash or dip with a homemade wash, Army Painter Quickshade, Minwax Polyshade or something like Citadel Nuln Oil brings out a bunch of depth. You might need to lighten the highlight areas back up with some paint so they don't look as muddy, but it really brings them to life and adds depth.

If you wanted to take that to a next step, then dry brushing can really bring the highlight textures out as well. It is really easy frankly, just get a stiffer wider brush, choose a lighter version of the base color or add white to the base color, get a little on the brush an then wipe it off on a rag. Then just lightly sweep the top like brushing dust off the surface. If paint fills the lower areas, the brush has too much wet paint and dry it off again. Once again, it is fast and makes a huge difference.

Mark

Some work I have done

I was happy with this, apart from not filling the obvious gap. The earlier Brimstone minis need a little more work on the joints. I started using washes and drybrushing about this time.

These have just the base coat and a wash on them, but I wanted to get a photo of them all painted and in play. Next I need go back in and drybrush and highlight/darken selective areas. (and also seal them, the paint has started chipping while I play with them)

For faces, it can be tricky to not have them look like a car wreck victim. I find the more I mess with them, the worse they get. A good wash darkens the right areas, and a little highlight on the high points (cheekbones, forehead, nose bridge) is about the best I can do at this point. Dotting the eyes is a challenge, but can take it to the next level (or jump the tracks I try to push myself a little more with each mini, and let go of perfectionist tendencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dry brushing is a fairly easy technique. The idea is that you get a wider brush and apply paint to it like normal and then wipe most of it off. I personally use a paper towel. Wipe it until the brush is essentially dry. You can brush your thenar space (the space between your forefinger and your thumb) and you should have small amount of the paint come off. When you start brushing over the model, the small amount of paint still on the brush will adhere to the raised portions of the model and simulate light hitting it. Typically you use a couple of shades lighter paint than your base coat. For the tentacles you may use something like this:

Dry brushing is an easy technique that will give great detail to your model and really make it pop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

Except Cuthailion. That image is creepy.

If I have time, I'm going to try my hand at dry brushing tonight. It seems like it is the way to go to make the detail on my minis really pop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And really, if you dont like the way it turns out, you can just paint back over it the base color and try again, so really nothing lost. I suppose if you paint over it enough times though you would start to lose some of the detail.

Every time you paint a room, it gets that much smaller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
Every time you paint a room, it gets that much smaller.

Aaaand... Now I'm feeling claustrophobic. The walls are closing in.

The walls are closing in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pascaud
France
Saint Aunes
Herault
flag msg tools
My friends call me "Sly" during games. I can't propose alliances anymore.
badge
My wife and I are offering painting commission services for your miniatures !
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur, the Priest face is very lacking in detail, you cannot really work a miracle on him !

Now you did well for first time painting !

Sometimes, a good way to get easy contrast would be underlining and overlining.

That is if you find a suitable texture to do it.

Here on the recesses of the body, a dark line within it, a clear line under it :

Same thing on the back of those slashers :

Here on those tentacles :

It doesn't require any advance knowledge of painting. Though, you do need a good brush with a good point... and a steady hand. I'd say it's something worth working on : a well placed light, even a rough one, can often bring a very nice sense of contrast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinsssounet wrote:
Though, you do need a good brush with a good point... and a steady hand.

To help with the steady hand: It's good to put your ellbows on the table. miniature in one hand, brush in the other and make your hands touch (difficult for me to explain it in english). That should stabilize your hands and is also better for your back instead of hunching over the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Cuthailion wrote:
To help with the steady hand: It's good to put your ellbows on the table. miniature in one hand, brush in the other and make your hands touch (difficult for me to explain it in english). That should stabilize your hands and is also better for your back instead of hunching over the whole thing.

Don't see yourself short. Or put another way, you explained it well enough that I could easily visualize the idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, thanks again for all the feedback!

I tried my hand at the Slashers last night, let me know what you think.

Step 1: Bright red base coat

Step 2: Heavy Dark-Flesh wash all over, and Fang Bone accents

Step 3: Red-to-black gradient on the weird tube-things, and Light Tone Ink on the Fang Bone accents

I really like how the gradient came out. Not so much the wash on the claws... It's like the claws are too smooth for washing to work it seems, they just end up looking dirty. I ended up painting some Fang Bone back over the claws on 2 of them cause they were too spotty and ugly.

Step 4: Attempted dry brushing, and yellow accents

I don't think I get dry brushing. Either nothing happens, or the paint gets everywhere. I was trying to dry-brush some lighter red over the ridges on their backs, but couldn't get it to work...

I was able to highlight some features in their back legs though, which I think worked well. You can see it pretty well in the last photo, on the guy in the back.

I also like how the yellow dot highlights turned out. I think I might add a couple more.

In other news, I tried dry brushing the Night Terrors and that seemed to work okay. Also did the heroes. I'll try and get some pics later tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dry brushing is meant to make raised areas more defined as if light is hitting the raised areas and it's a bit brighter. With that in mid, you typically would dry brush with a color in the same color palette as your base coat just a shade or two lighter. The method I use to dry brush is to get a flat brush, brushes with tips are a lot harder to get the desired effect. Dab the brush in some paint like normal and start wiping it off just like you are painting it on a paper towel until it seems nothing is coming off. I then always brush the part between my thumb and index finger on the back of my hand, you should have a little come off. Then I apply to the model. I'm not very kind to the brush and after a while the bristles will start fraying with dry brushing, but you should start seeing the derived results.

I really like your model on the far right and think it's your best yet. The gradient from red to black came out really nice, it's a technique that I'm not very good at still and I'm actually kind of jealous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's looking pretty good Klutz. I would be perfectly happy playing with the stuff you have painted so far.

And you are certainly inspiring me to get back to painting my SOB stuff after taking a short break that turned into a long break...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
*snip*

I really like your model on the far right and think it's your best yet. The gradient from red to black came out really nice, it's a technique that I'm not very good at still and I'm actually kind of jealous!

I understand the theory of dry brushing... just haven't nailed to implementation yet. I'll try with a flatter brush, I'll need to see if I have some cheapo dollar store brush somewhere.

As for the gradient : layers. Lots and lots of layers. I mixed some Dark Tone Ink with some Saloon Red (about 50/50) and put on a few coats - no need to be careful to have all coats cover the same area, you actually want them to end and different heights. Then I added more Dark Tone Ink and did a few more coats. And finally, I added some Shadow black to the Dark Tone Ink for the very ends, so they'd be really black.

I was watching a Hearthstone Twitch stream as I painted, made time fly by real fast.

wylde_karde wrote:
That's looking pretty good Klutz. I would be perfectly happy playing with the stuff you have painted so far.

And you are certainly inspiring me to get back to painting my SOB stuff after taking a short break that turned into a long break...

Thanks wylde_karde! What actually motivated me is the KD:M kickstarter... I snagged an Early Bird and, if I keep it, I need to practice my painting so I don't ruin the gorgeous KD:M minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand. I was an EB backer on KD:M but let it go. Wallet was just to burdened (so many dam good games!). I had to stick with Forbidden Fortress (I know and understand your feelings on this, we simply have different thoughts about it).

Best to practice up on those Wave 1.0 mini's, Some of the XL's and the XXL (Be'lial) from wave 1.5 / 2.0 are absolutely gorgeous. Honestly I've been too scared to paint Be'lial...sigh, everyone has a hangup.

But seriously, your stuff is looking good. It's always a trade-off between quality and time. I have two young kids at home, which of course limits my time so quality rarely wins out...

KevBelisle wrote:

wylde_karde wrote:

Thanks wylde_karde! What actually motivated me is the KD:M kickstarter... I snagged an Early Bird and, if I keep it, I need to practice my painting so I don't ruin the gorgeous KD:M minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wylde_karde wrote:
I understand. I was an EB backer on KD:M but let it go. Wallet was just to burdened (so many dam good games!). I had to stick with Forbidden Fortress

Sad to hear you had to drop out of KD:M.

wylde_karde wrote:
(I know and understand your feelings on this, we simply have different thoughts about it).

A little civilized, consensual conversation between 2 adults with differing views never killed anyone

wylde_karde wrote:
Best to practice up on those Wave 1.0 mini's, Some of the XL's and the XXL (Be'lial) from wave 1.5 / 2.0 are absolutely gorgeous. Honestly I've been too scared to paint Be'lial...sigh, everyone has a hangup.

But seriously, your stuff is looking good. It's always a trade-off between quality and time. I have two young kids at home, which of course limits my time so quality rarely wins out...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to my huge Wave 2 shipment. And I'm "only" an Outlaw backer! I'm hoping it gets here a few weeks, or a couple months before KD:M so I have time to practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.