Subject: Video games you wish were boardgames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I wish that a game called Sewer Shark on the old Sega CD be made into a board game. Which video games do you wish were board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense, but I can't even imagine why I'd care about a video game becoming a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can totally think of many reasons I'd care about a video game becoming a board game...BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME!

Splinter Cell
Twisted Metal
Spore
I'll think of more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think personally, RPG's like Dragon Quest would be insane if they were adapted to a board. There's so many quests, monsters, items, etc..would be interesting to play.

Another game that just randomly comes to mind is Monster Rancher, a game where you develop a monster who fights in tournaments (no not Pokemon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No question, it's Valkyria Chronicles. My favorite video game of all time, it already feels like a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite Nintendo 64 game that I still plug in and play occasionally:
Road Rash 64
If it was made into a boardgame I'm sure I'd be disappointed when I played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The battlemap portion of the original XCom/UFO Enemy Unknown.

Or...the original Fallout series.

Both as crawlers or light tacticalz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
Team Fortress 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Papers, Please feels like it would be a nice boardgame with a rather unique look to it.

The drawing mechanic from Max & the Magic Marker is unique enough that I'd be interested to see how it works in a boardgame.

Evil Genius since the theme, albeit popular in theory, hasn't (to my knowledge) been used in a similarly well developed medium-heavy to heavy strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwarf Fortress
Dungeons of Dredmore
The Rune Factory series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could get down with a Metal Gear or Splinter Cell styled stealth game. Something with undetected infiltration as the main goal, with combat available but actively discouraged. Multiple targets could be available in a mission (pickpocket a patrolling guard, steal a security card from a locker, destory a server and then escape during an alarm status) with further missions that take into account what happened in previous missions. I suppose it could be co-operative with multiple agents and the game handling guard movement and security systems, or an overlord-type game with hidden movement from the agent (that doesn't sound as fun to me though). Something like that could be really fun and a lot of MGS elements could be translated to board game mechanics fairly easily. Add some parts of Burgle Bros, parts of Descent or Imperial Assault, parts of Earth Reborn, and you've got the beginnings of what could be a great MGS game.

After that, I would love a Dynasty Warriors game and a Jet Set/Grind Radio game. Not sure what kind of games, but I love both series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes wished certain boardgames had the IP/theme of certain video games.

Dead of Winter = The Last of Us
Specter Ops = Metal Gear Solid or Mass Effect or Deus Ex
Five Tribes = Continuum (ok, it's a TV show)
Arcadia Quest = ChronoTrigger, Final Fantasy, or any Square title or even Dynasty Warriors.

There was a canceled kickstarter to have a boardgame version of Free Space (old PC game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hands down, Monster Hunter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Portal, as in something more like the actual game, not the cake game that is out there. Not sure how that would be pulled off, though.

I would say Faster than Light, but I think Galaxy Trucker already kind of covers that general theme/feel.

A game that could easily convert to a physical game is Greed Corp. It's already essentially a board game in electronic form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card Hunter. I fully understand how modifying decks could be tedious, but it is ripe for conversion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Greencastle
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire Emblem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AD .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Port of Call for Amiga. I think Panamax is the closest I'm going to get to it, but it doesn't have the mini game of parking your cargo ship.

2. Vice City. The closest I've played is the German game La Cosa Nostra card game which is currently reprinting itself in English via Kickstarter

3. Theme Park / Theme Hospital / Rollercoaster Tycoon -- There are a few Theme Park game themed games, but still none that captures the nuance and business sim mechanics of the original video game.

4. Any Football Management game from the early 80s to late 90s, but not as spreadsheet-y as Football Manager. Time of Soccer tried, but I didn't like its constant rolling of dice.

5. EA's original card game concept for the video game "Godfather II"
When Godfather II was being designed it blogged about how it used a high fidelity card game to design the main mechanics of the game, and there was a Flickr page for the game as described on this article

Thus: I really want to know what was the card game was like.

EA -- if you're reading this, please publish this card game or make the card game open source!

6. Capitalism II Plus / Industry Giant II / Transport Tycoon / Traffic Giant . There's a lot of pick up and deliver board games that do similar ideas to these games like Steam or Logistico but don't do the whole industrial fulfilment pipeline yet.

7. Pharaoh pc game -- My favourite of all the Pharaoh-esque building games, mainly due to its music, sandbox feeling and nostalgia value. I don't think there is any board game that has Pharaoh feeling.

8. A-Train - Mainly because I found the video game too hard to understand and the UI for the games that came out was pretty awful.

9. Hitman Go. Currently on mobile.

10. Sim Tower / Tiny Tower. It should be easy. Just have a deck of cards that are either Vertical or Horitzonal and you have to populate it with people / businesses. How you make it competitive and not just a solitaire game I am not sure.

11. Imperialism && Imperialism 2: The age of exploration -- The game had a very board game and engine building feeling, you dragged worker types onto the board. It had technologies, a working buy low/sell high market; and other board game style mechanics.

12. Aerobiz Supersonic (SNES) - Probably Airlines Europe is the closest to this??

13. Buzz Aldrin's race for space

13. Detroit / Motor City - Automobile is the closest to this.

14. DinoPark / Zoo Tycoon

15. Oil Imperium

16. Romance of the Three Kingdoms

17. Fire Pro Wrestling

Phew. I can't think of any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Sinnott
Canada
Minesing
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonic the Hedgehog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Hunter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Swaygodeus wrote:
I think personally, RPG's like Dragon Quest would be insane if they were adapted to a board. There's so many quests, monsters, items, etc..would be interesting to play.

Another game that just randomly comes to mind is Monster Rancher, a game where you develop a monster who fights in tournaments (no not Pokemon).
Why, 'moi' has a "figurine" of their GUY, Buddy for "Monster Rancher" and what is that 'weird symbol' on his 'hat'? How about "Monster in My Pocket" with their "figurines" assortment? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ludlam
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
Papers, Please feels like it would be a nice boardgame with a rather unique look to it.

The drawing mechanic from Max & the Magic Marker is unique enough that I'd be interested to see how it works in a boardgame.

Evil Genius since the theme, albeit popular in theory, hasn't (to my knowledge) been used in a similarly well developed medium-heavy to heavy strategy game.

Evil Genius is an excellent suggestion, that was a really fun game along with Dungeon Keeper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Desert Bus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syndicate - Create a team of cyborg agents to then deploy around the world competing against rival syndicates.

Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe - Still waiting for a game to re-create this. Dreadball didn't do it for me.

Theme Hospital - Build and maintain a hospital as more and more bizarre diseases come through the door. Hiring staff, upgrading equipment etc

The Settlers II - Construct a settlement with a functioning economy.

Dungeon Keeper - Build up a dungeon with nasty traps and wait for the heroes to arrive and try and destroy all your hard work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
badge
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandeminatic wrote:
Portal, as in something more like the actual game, not the cake game that is out there. Not sure how that would be pulled off, though.

I played the portal boardgame last month and it was a huge disappointment. Maybe my expectations were to high...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.