Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get ready for new posts in all pyramid forums now that Pyramid Arcade is out!

I see stalemates have been mentioned in this forum a few years ago, but never really resolved. In just our second game ever of Martian Chess, we ran into a stalemate situation where the leader couldn’t close it out. (Three queens left.)

It’s such a fantastic game… I hope it’s not marred by too many situations like this.

I will toss out the proposal that when a stalemate situation* arises, each player gets 5 more moves and if it doesn’t end by then the leader wins. If tied at that point it’s a draw.

I’d love for someone to top the suggestion.

*Right, how do we define stalemate situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Knew I'd seen this topic before:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/584201/there-flaw-design-ma...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cerulean wrote:

Right... I had read through the forum before posting this. But there has been no resolution to the problem.

And I must say, perhaps it's not really a "problem." I had a draw in only my second game, but hopefully they will not become too frequent, especially at higher levels of play. I'd hate to spend a lot of time trying to get good at a game that would end up with a lot of stalemates.

Regardless, declaring the current leader the winner if a stalemate is reached makes sense to me (at my current level of understanding).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
And I must say, perhaps it's not really a "problem." I had a draw in only my second game, but hopefully they will not become too frequent, especially at higher levels of play. I'd hate to spend a lot of time trying to get good at a game that would end up with a lot of stalemates.

That would make it more like regular chess, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.