BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a good 1 vs. all game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Birkner
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
My friends and I are having a blast with Star Wars: Imperial Assault, but I think we'll soon be ready to try something new. We're really enjoying the 1 vs. All format, extended campaign, and character progression, as it's kind of like Diet D&D. Personally, I also like it because of the heavy focus on combat.

Some of us have expressed interest in D&D before, but with no experience and limited time in our lives, I don't think we're up to the task of creating and running our own adventure (plus I'm not sure if we could emulate the high level of combat). Rather, we're looking for board games similar to Imperial Assault that offer those characteristics.

I saw Dungeon Saga at my local game store today, and it looked like a suitable option, but I wanted to get your takes on the game and/or other recommendations.

For additional insight into my tastes, here are some other games I own and enjoy (not campaign focused though):
-Zombicide
-Arkham Horror
-Mansions of Madness
-Don't own, but Ghost Stories always looked interesting to me (also not campaign focused)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Conan but that has no campaign. But mechanically thats the best one-vs-many game that ive played.

What ive experienced with dungeon saga is that the campaign is not very interesting. Just a couple of misions.

Descent is very similar to Imperial Assault (IA is based on that game). So if youre into fantasy that might be an option.

The others : 7 sins is less story driven but very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game is an all vs 1 game you might like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something a little different, try Catacombs. It's a dexterity based 1 v all flicking dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe take a look at Level 7 [Omega Protocol]?
It is 1 vs all. Have a campaign. And for me adrenaline mechanic is awesome - the more things commandos do, the more "bad guy" can do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) seems to be the obvious choice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula (second edition)
Fury of Dracula (third edition)

I prefer 2nd edition but plenty of folks prefer the 3rd. I'd recommend either one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misioooo wrote:
Maybe take a look at Level 7 [Omega Protocol]?
It is 1 vs all. Have a campaign. And for me adrenaline mechanic is awesome - the more things commandos do, the more "bad guy" can do...

I don't recall it having a campaign. I believe it just has multiple scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
It is a campaign in the loose sense of the word. I believe you try to play through the scenarios all in order. Whomever wins doesn't really persist or change the way the game plays session-to-session though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Have you tried Betrayal at House on the Hill? It doesn't fit your parameters exactly, but I think you might find it to be a good addition to your collection. It's got RPG elements at its core; and about halfway through the game, it turns into an all vs 1 brawl. No campaign or progression from game to game, but the main focus of the second half of the game is combat. There's also a ton of variability in the base game with 50 different scenarios, random tile placement, etc. It's fairly light, but it might be a good filler game for your group. I'd recommend giving it a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at house on the hill starts out cooperative until someone turns on the group

Descent. This fits exactly what you're talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Birkner
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone! One consistent recommendation I'm seeing so far is Descent (second edition). At first glance, it certainly looks up my alley. I've always been more attracted to fantasy settings than sci-fi, and if Imperial Assault is based off of it, then that's another excellent sign. How complicated is the game itself? And does it have a decent amount of combat as well?

Also, while looking at Descent on Amazon, I noticed Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon and other games in that family. How are those? I mentioned my attraction to the "Diet D&D" aspect of these campaign games, and this certainly seems like it would fall into that category as well.

Once again, thank you all for your help. Even the other games you all mentioned look incredibly interesting, so I have a tough decision ahead of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conbirk wrote:
Also, while looking at Descent on Amazon, I noticed Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon and other games in that family. How are those? I mentioned my attraction to the "Diet D&D" aspect of these campaign games, and this certainly seems like it would fall into that category as well.
The D&D Adventure System games are a lot less complex than Imperial Assault / Descent and they're not 1 vs. many; they're fully co-op: During each player's turn there's a monster phase and monsters follow a simple 'AI'.

Also, only Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game offers 'real' campaign play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.