Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Any games out there that's similar to this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As stated, I would love to find more games like this, but as I'm not very well-versed in the board game world(yet) I thought I'd ask you for advice.
Old west-themed, nasty monsters, solo-play. Miniatures not necessary, but definitely a plus! Anything out there?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides Brimstone? I can't think of one. There is a ks going on right now for another Brimstone base game - takes place in feudal Japan, but completely compatible with western Brimstone.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Been a backer since the start I had a feeling that this particular type of game is probably a pretty small niche.. And even though I know I'll have fun with SoB for a long while (and I still haven't even played it in a group!) it got me hungering for more in the genre. Oh well, seems like there's tons of user created stuff here to keep me going forever!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other dungeon crawlers with campaigns that have solo modes but none with a western theme and none quite like Brimstone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Mechanically this is pretty much a rip-off of Warhammer Quest. That has a fantasy theme however.
There is bugger all out there with an old west theme. Eldrich monster and fantasy however expands your pool greatly. Depends on what particular aspects you are after.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be mentioned that it's not a rip off of Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower but of the older Warhammer Quest form 1995.

Silver Tower has not the cool Campaign mode or the create your own hero-thing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr Skeletor: Yeah, Cthulhu/Lovecraft theme seems like the go-to-thing for many manufacturers. Not that it's not cool, but still! I'm really just looking to expand my collection, so that omce me and my friends manage to organize a regular game night thing we'll have some options. So some type of campaign mode is a strong incentive for me, no matter theme. And like I said, the theme in Brimstone really struck a chord with me right away.

Cuthailion: Interesting! Took a quick peek at Warhammer Quest, anything like good old Hero Quest? Except more advanced of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's the campaign aspect that you like Kingdom Death: Monster is regularly regarded as one of the best campaign board games on the market. It has a dark theme and is a pretty deep system to get into.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Roleplaying?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Goddammit, sorry about the spelling in the last post! Stupid phones and their tiny screens..

Wetworks wrote:
If it's the campaign aspect that you like Kingdom Death: Monster is regularly regarded as one of the best campaign board games on the market. It has a dark theme and is a pretty deep system to get into.


I saw that a new KS campaign for this is coming on the 25th? 95% sure that I will back it with all I've got. Seems kind of expensive, but hey, I get a lot of overtime at work this time of year, sooo..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gustafsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wystan wrote:
Maybe Roleplaying?


Tried it a few times, but the majority of the group didn't really take it seriously. It was all "I loot the panty drawer!" "I pissed my pants!" so it fell apart. I do have a basic scenario written up for an old Turtles RPG though. Someday, maybe.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maniacpoodle wrote:
wystan wrote:
Maybe Roleplaying?


Tried it a few times, but the majority of the group didn't really take it seriously. It was all "I loot the panty drawer!" "I pissed my pants!" so it fell apart. I do have a basic scenario written up for an old Turtles RPG though. Someday, maybe.


I have played with those type of people... They sound like a perfect group for a Paranoia campaign...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Mechanically this is pretty much a rip-off of Warhammer Quest. That has a fantasy theme however.
There is bugger all out there with an old west theme. Eldrich monster and fantasy however expands your pool greatly. Depends on what particular aspects you are after.


The Hill Bros or at least Jason worked on WQ back in the day, so I wouldn't necessarily use the words "ripped off" since they had a hand in the orig incarnation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Mechanically this is pretty much a rip-off of Warhammer Quest. That has a fantasy theme however.
There is bugger all out there with an old west theme. Eldrich monster and fantasy however expands your pool greatly. Depends on what particular aspects you are after.


The Hill Bros or at least Jason worked on WQ back in the day, so I wouldn't necessarily use the words "ripped off" since they had a hand in the orig incarnation.


Pretty sure thats not true. I don't believe he ever worked for Games Workshop in the UK over 20 years ago. I think he worked in the Video Game industry. Regardless I agree this game is not a rip-off of Warhammer Quest, it's inspired by it, in terms of basic gameplay (the campaign aspect mainly), but is not the same mechanically at all (Shadows is a lot better and more fun). Its no more a rip-off than any game that has fighting over a map of the world is a rip-off of Risk.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:
horfrost3 wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Mechanically this is pretty much a rip-off of Warhammer Quest. That has a fantasy theme however.
There is bugger all out there with an old west theme. Eldrich monster and fantasy however expands your pool greatly. Depends on what particular aspects you are after.


The Hill Bros or at least Jason worked on WQ back in the day, so I wouldn't necessarily use the words "ripped off" since they had a hand in the orig incarnation.


Pretty sure thats not true. I don't believe he ever worked for Games Workshop in the UK over 20 years ago. I think he worked in the Video Game industry. Regardless I agree this game is not a rip-off of Warhammer Quest, it's inspired by it, in terms of basic gameplay (the campaign aspect mainly), but is not the same mechanically at all (Shadows is a lot better and more fun). Its no more a rip-off than any game that has fighting over a map of the world is a rip-off of Risk.


Hmmmn, seems I must've misread that from the 2013 KS. I checked his bio and he worked for GW in the states, but it doesn't look like as a designer. But I did find a WHQ Ex-Blood Brawl Player designed by him. Not sure if that's a fan-made creation or an official one. http://wquest.free.fr/warriors/W084_EX-BloodBowlPlayer.htm

And ditto-ing your comment (and restating my earlier one), he stated in several interviews that SoB is inspired heavily by WHQ, which for a number of backers was a huge selling point for them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.