Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Really newbie help required please. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Paruman
South Africa
Midrand
Gauteng
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So last night my FLGS cracked open a copy of the game and some of us got to have a go.

It's very good but with limited time on our hands we could not study the rules as well as we would have liked and we had a few questions that cropped up which we could not find the answers for.

1) when the deck of cards runs out, we could not find mention of using the discards to make a new deck. What is supposed to happen?

2) if a track is maxed(temp, oxygen) can you still keep adding to it in order to score more points?

3) if you play a card that required you to reduce production of something that is already on 0 (say energy) can you actually actually play that card? I.e should you first increase production? It's not a requirement thought it's an effect.

4) if you play a card to remove plants from any player and you're the only player with plants must you target yourself?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameruman wrote:
So last night my FLGS cracked open a copy of the game and some of us got to have a go.

It's very good but with limited time on our hands we could not study the rules as well as we would have liked and we had a few questions that cropped up which we could not find the answers for.

1) when the deck of cards runs out, we could not find mention of using the discards to make a new deck. What is supposed to happen?

reshuffle the deck. (confirmed by designer in this forum somewhere )

Quote:

2) if a track is maxed(temp, oxygen) can you still keep adding to it in order to score more points?

No!

Quote:
3) if you play a card that required you to reduce production of something that is already on 0 (say energy) can you actually actually play that card? I.e should you first increase production? It's not a requirement thought it's an effect.

You may play this card only if you can reduce a production.

Quote:

4) if you play a card to remove plants from any player and you're the only player with plants must you target yourself?

In oposite to production you don't have to reduce resources.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb

Gameruman wrote:
1) when the deck of cards runs out, we could not find mention of using the discards to make a new deck. What is supposed to happen?


Reshuffle the discard and draw from that.

Gameruman wrote:
2) if a track is maxed(temp, oxygen) can you still keep adding to it in order to score more points?


No. Once a goal is maxed, it doesn't go further and players can't get any more TR points. Of course, you can still do things like laying green tiles, but you won't get the O2 TR benefit.

Gameruman wrote:
3) if you play a card that required you to reduce production of something that is already on 0 (say energy) can you actually actually play that card? I.e should you first increase production? It's not a requirement thought it's an effect.


You can only play a card if you can meet the requirements. If you need to lose 1 energy production, then you must have at least 1 energy production to lose.

Gameruman wrote:
4) if you play a card to remove plants from any player and you're the only player with plants must you target yourself?


If the card says "You may...", then it is optional. If it doesn't, then you must remove the required resources/production from either other players or your own board.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
LOL, two answers in 10 minutes!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Paruman
South Africa
Midrand
Gauteng
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
Gameruman wrote:
4) if you play a card to remove plants from any player and you're the only player with plants must you target yourself?

In oposite to production you don't have to reduce resources.

It's a little more complicated than that:

If the card reduces any player's resources (resource cube icons with a red border), that is optional. You can choose to remove fewer resources, or none at all - but if you remove some, you must target a single player.

If the card reduces your own resources (resource cube icons without a red border), that is not optional. If you don't have the appropriate amount of resources, then you can't play the card.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And

5) Any cost for using an action on a blue card (before the red arrow) MUST be payed in order to get the reward (after the arrow). Regardless of red borders and such. This is the case for Ants and Predators. But this is not a requirement to PLAY the card, only to use its action.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameruman wrote:


2) if a track is maxed(temp, oxygen) can you still keep adding to it in order to score more points?



you can still play cards that increase maxed out tracks, you just don't score any points for increasing them. This is important to remember for late game because cards will let you up a track and do several other things. You can still play these cards to do the other things, you just don't get the benefit of increasing the track.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.