Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it appears Ted went up the tower to see what his capitulation might render. Attorney General?! How generous.

Now, I am confident Ted is a smart guy. He's spent a LOT of time with his pocket constitution and has some strong ideas. He's an unrepentant ideologue which is a bit scary for someone running Justice which is meant to be dispassionate.

What really rankles is that he seems to be a gutless coward. Trump called Cruz a liar, questioned his citizenship and then accused his father of somehow taking part in the Kennedy assassination. Does Cruz call out Trump for pistols at dawn? No he sits up at the table and begs for scraps.

Who knows, maybe Cruz would turn the tables and investigate Trump from the AG's office. Maybe then he could earn his man card back.

It does beg the question. Why would you invite someone worthy of the title Lyin' Ted to be your top law enforcement leader?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah. Agreed. Cruz should be on the Supreme Court. AG is a bit of a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted would be an excellent Supreme Court justice, and I'd rather see in that role for him in the next 30 years or so.

I suppose he might go with AG as a temporary step, I perhaps, and I could see that if I went that route.

But really he's got the makings of one of the finest SCOTUS judges in the last hundred.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I've ever heard is that the Senate fucking hates Ted Cruz. How does he get confirmed for anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
Everything I've ever heard is that the Senate fucking hates Ted Cruz. How does he get confirmed for anything?

so they can get rid of him. Ted has been a pain in the ass for the neo-con agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know if Ted Cruz is a Dominionist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:

so they can get rid of him. Ted has been a pain in the ass for the neo-con agenda.

I can see that for AG. I'd be mildly surprised if they'd elevate him to SC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
He most assuredly is.

(Insert wall post here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

I don't see him at the meetings anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:

Don't care if he is hated; what matters is whether or not he's got a proper Constitutional grounding.

Which he clearly does. It could be a matter of "get him out of the way for the next 30 years", maybe.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

Why don't you throw in a slater slater slater for good measure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:

Don't care if he is hated; what matters is whether or not he's got a proper Constitutional grounding.

More code for "agrees with me".

But I disagree with the premise anyway. They're not filling the seat with an algorithm. They're filling it with a whole human being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruz would be a fucked-up choice because the Court really needs to be as free of partisanship as possible. Right now, cases are argued to an audience of one, with the other eight seven playing Words With Friends and writing their rulings in advance. We don't need the courts being taken to further extremes on either end (or both ends). Drawing the ends toward the middle is the right thing to do. I said it before Trump won, I am saying it now that Trump won, and I would say the exact same thing had Hillary won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a picture of Ted Cruz after his meeting with Trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:

But I disagree with the premise anyway. They're not filling the seat with an algorithm. They're filling it with a whole human being.

Yes, which is why he's an excellent choice. Yes it is "agrees with me" since in this case I'm correct.

Why do you think he's an "algorithm" (that seems to what you're suggesting, which is doubly strange)? It is precisely good with solid Constitutional credentials; he's about as good as it gets.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Attorney General Grampa Munster?

Excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Cruz would be a fucked-up choice because the Court really needs to be as free of partisanship as possible. Right now, cases are argued to an audience of one, with the other eight seven playing Words With Friends and writing their rulings in advance. We don't need the courts being taken to further extremes on either end (or both ends). Drawing the ends toward the middle is the right thing to do. I said it before Trump won, I am saying it now that Trump won, and I would say the exact same thing had Hillary won.

I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying...the Constitution is the middle ground. In this case Scalia before him (and Cruz if he were to be confirmed) would be exactly the right person here.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Important question about Cruz as AG. Will he be operating out of his Volcano Super-Villain lair or will he be moving his operation to DC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Dispaminite wrote:
Important question about Cruz as AG. Will he be operating out of his Volcano Super-Villain lair or will he be moving his operation to DC?

His office will be located in Texas, of course, in one of the main laser turret buildings along the Great Trump Wall. That way, he can be in the thick of things at all times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a picture of Cruz preparing for the job as AG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I guess I'm not understanding what you are saying...the Constitution is the middle ground. In this case Scalia before him (and Cruz if he were to be confirmed) would be exactly the right person here.

Ferret

If you think Scalia and Cruz are the center, then that explains why you are not understanding what I am saying. Your frame of reference is fractured beyond recognition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:

Yes, which is why he's an excellent choice. Yes it is "agrees with me" since in this case I'm correct.

Why do you think he's an "algorithm" (that seems to what you're suggesting, which is doubly strange)? It is precisely good with solid Constitutional credentials; he's about as good as it gets.

I didn't mean to imply Ted Cruz is an algorithm. I was saying that there's more that matters for a nominees to one of the highest seats in government in the country than whether or not he's got "proper Constitutional grounding".

There's more to him than his "grounding" (i.e. he's not an algorithm) and the whole person can be considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Ferret

If you think Scalia and Cruz are the center, then that explains why you are not understanding what I am saying. Your frame of reference is fractured beyond recognition.

While I very much doubt Ferret has the slightest clue about historical AG's or the role and temperament of SCOTUS, I do have to take some exception with rating the justices solely on a left, right, center basis. They are political appointments to be sure but, once affirmed they are free to follow their own consciences.

Scalia was undoubtedly a conservative in the sense of his social views on the world. It may even be argued that his worldview had become a bit out of step with contemporary sensibilities. However, he did hew to a primary legal philosophy of strict constructionism. This led him to make decisions not necessary aligned to a political party on many occasions.

Many on the so-called "political right" do value a strict construction approach. As much as I disagree with this as an absolute point of view it is valid to desire a court which resists departing from the original text wherever practical.

What I fear of Cruz would be a desire to ignore stare decisis and roll back earlier decisions without care for the consequences. Such a casual policy would hopelessly erode public confidence in laws and even Cruz's own decisions could expect to survive no longer than his own term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Honest questions here:

1. Has Cruz ever had a role in law enforcement (besides Junior Police)?

2. Has Cruz ever been a judge?

I would, in my twisted way of thinking, believe those are the basic questions that should be asked of any candidate for Attorney General or Supreme Court judge. I mean, I'm pretty solid on the Constitution as well, but I would never begin to imagine a scenario where someone like me could become a Justice.

I know, I know, crazy talk. Ideology rules, competency is for suckers and losers. My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Honest questions here:

1. Has Cruz ever had a role in law enforcement (besides Junior Police)?

2. Has Cruz ever been a judge?

I would, in my twisted way of thinking, believe those are the basic questions that should be asked of any candidate for Attorney General or Supreme Court judge. I mean, I'm pretty solid on the Constitution as well, but I would never begin to imagine a scenario where someone like me could become a Justice.

I know, I know, crazy talk. Ideology rules, competency is for suckers and losers. My bad.

Ted Cruz was Solicitor General in Texas from 2003 to 2008. He has never been a judge, as far as I know, but he has argued in front of the Surpreme cout 9 times.

He could fill the roll of Attorney General, even if he'd be extremely partisan in that role. But he's never been a judge.

Has there ever been a Supreme Court Justice that wasn't a judge before hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.