7 Posts

Inis» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Epic first play through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Last weekend I got three friends together and we has a fantastic four player game of Inis. I will represent each player with sobluedevilrobot and gulp for myself.

As it was the first game we started with the four recommended starting locations and soblue, who was the Brenn placed the capital on the Cove. He became quite obsessed with remaining the Brenn for the entire game. devil was chieftain of the Valley and robot controlled the Plains.

The opening rounds saw some movement with few most clashes being peaceful. More sanctuaries and citadels were placed around the board. Tir na Nog came out and myself (gulp) and robot moved into it. I was able to move in with two clans to be the chieftain as I really wanted its advantage card. This turned out to be useful as the flock of crows token flipped EVERY TURN!

The board expanded quickly due to Tailtu's Land being played a few times by devil combining it with Stone Circle, and passing it to soblue by using Master Craftsmen. soblue was still Brenn and he made sure that the Cove was never surrounded as that just wouldn't make sense.

As I now was the only player there I placed a second citadel in Tir Na Nog for defence and was able to keep the number of my clans high with Craftsmen and Peasants despite constantly losing them to its effect.

I was able to play Craftsmen and Peasants for two rounds in a row. In the drafting phase it and Geis were in my hand. As it would net me four clans I passed on Craftsmen and Peasants and took Geis as I was sure that if I passed Geis to someone else they would just use it to block Craftsmen and Peasants. Luckily Druid was passed to me and I kept both it and Geis. Craftsmen and Peasants was played early and I quickly snapped it up with the Druid.

Thanks to the extra clans spawned by the Valley's advantage, devil moved to be present in five locations and with a deed he could claim a pretender token. Luckily I had drawn Balor's Eye to keep him in check.

The next round I would claim a token for being present near six sanctuaries, two being in Tir na Nog, one in the Plains, two in the Cove and I used Exploration to find one of my clans in an area alone in order to use Kernunos' Sanctuary to get to six. devil claimed another deed to also get a pretender token, which happily prevented either of us from being targeted by the other players. For now.

I tried to take the Brenn in order to break the tie and win the game but alas misplaying the Geis card earlier left me open to be Raided and thus one action card short in the clash. So I only equalled soblue's clans in the Cove with three each. I even had Dagda's Cauldron to save three of my clans but unfortunately not enough action cards to save the forth. soblue had to empty his hand of action cards in order to fend me off, though so was unable to do anything for the rest of the round.

In the final phase I was able to use Emissaries to safely spread to six areas on the map. I also held Conquest and Migration held in hand, preventing devil from moving into another area with sanctuaries and from also achieving two victory conditions despite his three deeds. robot also spread to six areas (five with one deed) but in the Chieftain's Business phase I was ahead in achieved victory conditions and won the game.

Not including rules explanations that game took us three hours to complete! Not sure how the game could go faster but we are very good at keeping an eye on the board and keeping things even. We really enjoyed it and look forward to playing it again. It's a great game with real strategy and very interesting decisions to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good game. 3 hours for real? my group has played 3 games. 2 4 player and 1 3 player. Only 2 players have played twice so far (myself being one of them).

Game 1 I would say took 1 hour and 15 minutes. Victory condition was Sanctuaries with the Bren winning. This was about 8 rounds I didn't keep track.

Game 2 I wasn't playing but it was played during half a game of Colony and game 3. I would guess a little over 1 hour 45 minutes. Not sure who won here.

Game 3 was easily under an hour. This was the 3 player game. I won this one with 6 regions (entering 3 regions on my last 3 actions) This one I can say was 7 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
sancmat wrote:
Sounds like a good game. 3 hours for real? my group has played 3 games. 2 4 player and 1 3 player. Only 2 players have played twice so far (myself being one of them).

Game 1 I would say took 1 hour and 15 minutes. Victory condition was Sanctuaries with the Bren winning. This was about 8 rounds I didn't keep track.

Game 2 I wasn't playing but it was played during half a game of Colony and game 3. I would guess a little over 1 hour 45 minutes. Not sure who won here.

Game 3 was easily under an hour. This was the 3 player game. I won this one with 6 regions (entering 3 regions on my last 3 actions) This one I can say was 7 rounds.

I was a bit surprised because reviewers and people here had all agreed with the listed play time of 60 minutes.

I can't remember how many rounds we played but 6 to 8 sounds about right. We may have just been playing slow. It was a shame because we were planning on playing Fury of Dracula as well later on but didn't have time.

We're all very keen to get more Inis in, though. It's a sublime game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Youngerman
msg tools
I feel like the time in this game is very dependent on how prone to analysis your group is. Both drafting and deciding how/when to play cards can definitely drag on if you have a couple players trying to figure out every move. I feel like as my group and I get to know the game better (only played twice), our games will begin to take a little longer as we know all the possible moves we/each other can make. I don't mind the times I've spent waiting for other to make move since I'm usually thinking hard to know what the hell I'm doing next (and half the time it changes based on what they do!)

I do feel that one of the strengths of the game is that you can't 100% know what the right move is (as Quinns says in the SU&SD review). However, this could lead someone who wants to always make the best possible move to take a long time as well. Did you notice this at all in you play through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
bmax1001 wrote:
I feel like the time in this game is very dependent on how prone to analysis your group is. Both drafting and deciding how/when to play cards can definitely drag on if you have a couple players trying to figure out every move. I feel like as my group and I get to know the game better (only played twice), our games will begin to take a little longer as we know all the possible moves we/each other can make. I don't mind the times I've spent waiting for other to make move since I'm usually thinking hard to know what the hell I'm doing next (and half the time it changes based on what they do!)

I do feel that one of the strengths of the game is that you can't 100% know what the right move is (as Quinns says in the SU&SD review). However, this could lead someone who wants to always make the best possible move to take a long time as well. Did you notice this at all in you play through?

Funnily enough there wasn't much analysis paralysis in our game. At least it didn't feel like. Everyone agreed that the game moved quickly, but it still took us a long time to finish up. It's possible that the later into the game we got the more we thought about our moves, but no one was playing noticeably slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Gullman
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
bmax1001 wrote:

Funnily enough there wasn't much analysis paralysis in our game. At least it didn't feel like. Everyone agreed that the game moved quickly, but it still took us a long time to finish up. It's possible that the later into the game we got the more we thought about our moves, but no one was playing noticeably slowly.

In our first game (2 players), we felt like we were in kind of a stale mate by the end of the 7th or 8th round where noone seemed to be able to push the advantage anywhere without getting counterplayed in some way - mostly by a very strong red card... We felt that we probably did something wrong, and after another quick glance in the rules we discovered that we had a pretty crucial rule wrong: We had been keeping all Epic Tale cards between rounds, even after playing them. We had been playing it like a light deckbuilder - which is clearly wrong, and which makes the game really drag on.

We might be the only ones who made this mistake, but I really think the wording in the rules is kind of vague about it, and after reading a few reports of games that's been lasting for 3-4 hours, i wouldn't be surprised if someone else got this wrong as well.

After realizing our misinterpretation of the rules we started over and played the correct way: always discard every card after playing them - Epic Tale cards are very powerful one-time-uses.
This completely changed the game and I immediately fell in love with the game! It ended in around 45 minutes to an hour in a very exciting last round.

Is it possible you got this rule wrong as well? I feel I have to ask when you wrote that Tailtus Land was played "a few times"..? Or is that the Stone Circle advantage to be able to pick up the played Epic Tale card again, I cant remember?

Anyhow, the game is absolutely amazing! And thank you for a nice session report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Pookieblood wrote:

In our first game (2 players), we felt like we were in kind of a stale mate by the end of the 7th or 8th round where noone seemed to be able to push the advantage anywhere without getting counterplayed in some way - mostly by a very strong red card... We felt that we probably did something wrong, and after another quick glance in the rules we discovered that we had a pretty crucial rule wrong: We had been keeping all Epic Tale cards between rounds, even after playing them. We had been playing it like a light deckbuilder - which is clearly wrong, and which makes the game really drag on.

We might be the only ones who made this mistake, but I really think the wording in the rules is kind of vague about it, and after reading a few reports of games that's been lasting for 3-4 hours, i wouldn't be surprised if someone else got this wrong as well.

After realizing our misinterpretation of the rules we started over and played the correct way: always discard every card after playing them - Epic Tale cards are very powerful one-time-uses.
This completely changed the game and I immediately fell in love with the game! It ended in around 45 minutes to an hour in a very exciting last round.

Is it possible you got this rule wrong as well? I feel I have to ask when you wrote that Tailtus Land was played "a few times"..? Or is that the Stone Circle advantage to be able to pick up the played Epic Tale card again, I cant remember?

Anyhow, the game is absolutely amazing! And thank you for a nice session report!

Thanks for the comments

Epic tale cards were played as a one time use only. They only got reused, as you correctly guessed, thanks to Stone Circle advantage card and the Master Craftsmen action card. There were a lot of Epic Tale cards and deeds flying about! Despite the game's length it was very fun. We've since played a few more times and had noticeably quicker games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.