Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
We had an interesting first game with this.
The mechanics are mostly workable, and we got very little outright wrong, we believe; but we had to check and re-check the rules several times before we knew the procedures in and out.
At any rate, I was doing great defending against the zombies marauders, the other guy was building stuff up very nicely and doing okayishly against the marauders, and the third player, as of Round II, had entirely given up doing anything in particular against the marauders.
Hence, the blows came hard and fast for him - he was losing his starting VP very quickly, and basically was stuck at 0 VP for the rest of the game.

He won, though.
"Opting out", so to speak, from the defending game, he was simply picking up equipment cards as hard and fast as he could.
In the end, he revealed an objective card that gave him 4VP for each vehicle part, of which he had 9; and when we scored his equipment, he just crept past my 103 points and made it to 107 to win the game, what with all the cars he completed.
That was a perfect storm for him, of course; without that one objective card that rewarded him for what he was doing anyway, he wouldn't have been a contender. But he had it all, and shamelessly exploited that the game does not keep punishing you any further once you are at 0 VP.

He won, but he was bored the whole time after he figured out this approach.

We decided that the circumstances were specific enough to not blame the game for his exploit, but theme-wise, it was a disaster, and again, by reducing/refining his strategy to juck keep picking up equipment cards, the winning player didn't maximize his enjoyment. Only his score.

I don't think we'll play this very often, but I'm curious to hear once more reports trickle in, whether this will be a common occurrence or in fact not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix L.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Felix and thanks for your report!

I tried a similar strategy in our first game, getting as many beer cards as possible, having the right objective card up my sleeve.
But in the end I lost almost embarrassingly cry
I have to confess: I didn't play that well, but the strategies of my opponents were simply better, too. They managed to hold down the marauder threat and kept their cities almost undamaged, whereas I was few on survivor inhabitants, without leader, but with literally tons of beer

So yes, it could be a strategy to ignore the marauder threat, but in my opinion the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. And I doubt that your group's winnig player will win again following the exact same strategy, because his opponents will know what he's up to...

I hope that we'll get it on the table again soon, because on my side there's definitely room for improvement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.