Thumb up
 Hide
73 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: 2016 Hyatt hotel feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to collect things in one place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are the recycle bins? The person I asked at the cash and carry didn't think there were any. A few people said they thought they saw impromptu recycle bins but I haven't seen any yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Where are the recycle bins? The person I asked at the cash and carry didn't think there were any. A few people said they thought they saw impromptu recycle bins but I haven't seen any yet.

I'm not sure about downstairs but there is one in the lobby bar and the trash cans have a separate section inside the container for recycling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
The staff at Jett's coffee bar have been awesome. One even remembered me from last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
One even remembered me from last year.

Well, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

A plus for me is that the Please Help Conserve notices are observed. In many other hotels, I do the steps to conserve (place a sticker, put the towels a certain way, etc) and I still get full service every day. Here the staff helps me conserve.

Not a big deal but it's nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Activate more elevators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The parking validation system has been a major issue for us this year. A couple of days ago, after we got our validation, we had to pay at the booth. We Wenham to the front desk when we got back and we're told it would take 4 to 6 weeks for a refund. Today, we were under validated, and got to spend 10 minutes at the told bo th while the attendant put together paperwork for us to give the hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
leroy43 wrote:
The staff at Jett's coffee bar have been awesome. One even remembered me from last year.

Likewise!

Also, while recycling bins were somewhat absent at first, I've been seeing more + more of them as time goes on. (Though there are sometimes no *regular* trash cans near them, which makes me wonder how much trash will get dumped in the recycling.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
This is not my pokerface... I'm just really dull.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got bumped to another hotel room for the middle of my stay. Found out when my key stopped working, instead of last week. This happened. The other three people in my room are first-timers. So, imagine the experience they take away from this. Are we getting comp nights? Yes. But that doesn't really offset the inconvenience involved.

If you're going to charge a $50 fee to reserve a room, DO NOT OVERBOOK THE HOTEL. Pick one or the other, not both. This was duplicitous.

Also the toll pass botches are happening again. So on my way off the grounds when I had to check into my new hotel, I got hit with a $24 charge. No problem though; I'll get a check in a month, right? No. If it is the hotel's error, why do I have to wait for the airport to fix it?

I would love to have a nice non-intimate conversation with Glen about all of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Richards
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I arrived today and was told that they overbooked the hotel, and that they got me a room at another hotel. Do reservations not mean anything? They assured me that I'll have a room at the Hyatt tomorrow. So I need to repack, schlep my stuff back to the Hyatt. And here's the kicker...at this other hotel I'm put up at, they told me I'd been booked by the Hyatt for 2 nights. So for all I know, I don't have a room tomorrow at the Hyatt. Phew. I'm very unhappy.

Edit: So, just as I suspected, when I arrived back at the Hyatt Friday morning after checking out of the Wynn, I was told that they didn't have a room for me. I explained that I was given a sheet of paper that said 1 night comped at the Wynn, and that I was told to come back Friday to check in, and there would definitely be a room for me. The concierge got a manager, and she said she'd see what she could do. Luckily I got a call a couple hours later, and she said a room opened up for me. It didn't have a fridge as I requested, but I was just happy to have the room. So, in the end, they did set things right, though it was frustrating to have to go through it in the first place. I didn't see/hear about anything like this in the last 3 years I went and stayed at the Hyatt. I didn't know the hotel industry overbooked like the airline industry. Maybe they'll realize next year that they need to just honor their reservations? And start a waiting list for people who didn't get a room, so they can book in case of cancellations? Anyway... glad to be home, though I did have a lot of fun at the convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin L
msg tools
Also note that the DFW validation checks license plates, so if you're just going by whoever kept the ticket in the wallet and you'll sort it out later, that won't work.

Westin and Hyatt don't agree on which nights I'm staying. I am going from "okay with this" to pretty ticked off fairly quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
Lina688 wrote:
The parking validation system has been a major issue for us this year. A couple of days ago, after we got our validation, we had to pay at the booth. We Wenham to the front desk when we got back and we're told it would take 4 to 6 weeks for a refund. Today, we were under validated, and got to spend 10 minutes at the told bo th while the attendant put together paperwork for us to give the hotel.

I went out the "credit" booth for dinner with a validated ticket and had to pay $10. A weird number considering parking is much more than that per hour and I was there six hours. Partial validation?
Front desk suggested I use the cash toll booth because the workers know what the validation stamp means even if the computers don't. There were only two cash lines open this evening; not nearly as convenient.
I got the paperwork from the front desk to request my $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Stone
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is the hotel or the Con, but the water situation is pretty bad for the number of people that are present. There aren't enough water stations, each one is laughably small, the water is almost never cold at most of them and they aren't bottle friendly.

I only bring this up because the convention I go to back in LA(Strategicon) has really great water service and it has about 1k less people.
But on the flip side, this is waaaaay better organized that Strategicon. It's going to be hard to go back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harris
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The water service this year is severely lacking compared to last year. The room we were in last night had 3 completely empty water pitchers, almost as if they hadn't been used at all. It was at least 3 hours before anyone came and filled them. Also, the soap in the bathroom dispensor is out, who knows when that will get refilled. Overall, they seem to be working less to keep us happy, maybe they know we signed on with a different location going forward in a couple of years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
PinballGeek wrote:
The water service this year is severely lacking compared to last year. The room we were in last night had 3 completely empty water pitchers, almost as if they hadn't been used at all. It was at least 3 hours before anyone came and filled them. Also, the soap in the bathroom dispensor is out, who knows when that will get refilled. Overall, they seem to be working less to keep us happy, maybe they know we signed on with a different location going forward in a couple of years.

So one of you asked a staff member to address the water, right?

And one of you mentioned to a staff member that the soap dispenser was out, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
parliboy wrote:
Got bumped to another hotel room for the middle of my stay. Found out when my key stopped working, instead of last week. This happened. The other three people in my room are first-timers. So, imagine the experience they take away from this. Are we getting comp nights? Yes. But that doesn't really offset the inconvenience involved.

That's terrible. I'd be incredibly upset + furious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Compliments: Staff were almost always very friendly and helpful.

a couple of complaints: We booked a king, and they put us in a double queen. Last year the same thing happened, and we moved rooms 3 times before they got it right. I know booking a room doesn't guarantee a room type, but since we checked in the Saturday before the con, I kind of assumed they'd be able to accommodate us.

They had successfully switched out the feather bedding and put a fridge in the room for us, so we didn't bother trying to switch rooms at check in after a long day flying. We wound up swapping later in the week with someone who had requested a double queen and gotten stuck with a king room...

Second - our new room had a leaky tap, my wife brought it to the attention of the staff. 9:00 the next morning, we got a call from the front desk because "the maintenance guy is outside your door ready to fix the lock, and the do not disturb is in" We had the do not disturb in because we had been up late the night before and were still sleeping...ugh. So they sent a guy to do the wrong thing (fix the lock, not the tap) and then called us to wake us up...Then...when we got up, we told the front desk that our door lock wasn't broken, but the tap was, and they said they'd fix it. We went back to our room later and weren't able to get in because they'd "fixed" the lock. The tap still leaks, and we didn't push our luck trying to get it fixed again.

Minor inconveniences, sure, but I know Glenn will read this, so hopefully the hotel can address things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Ko
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nodecam wrote:

a couple of complaints: We booked a king, and they put us in a double queen. Last year the same thing happened, and we moved rooms 3 times before they got it right. I know booking a room doesn't guarantee a room type, but since we checked in the Saturday before the con, I kind of assumed they'd be able to accommodate us.

Meanwhile, we booked a double queen room, but were put into a king room with a (very uncomfortable) rollaway bed. Granted, we arrived on Wednesday, but it's clear from this thread that the hotel needs to adjust its formula for estimating the number of cancellations it will receive for an event like BGG.con.

On a minor note, the hotel restaurant's Asian food buffet was rather embarrassing. Chicken nuggets are chicken nuggets even if you put up a sign claiming they are "tempura battered." This isn't the first year they've done it, either.

That said, our room was clean, I had no troubles with the wifi networks, and I've never had a reason to complain about any of the hotel staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Roberts
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Everything was spot on in terms of Hotel Service.

I did however, have to put the concierge at Mr G's in check on Tuesday evening. I had walked up, planning to ask for a table reservation, when he gave me the menu to "confirm" if that is where I would choose to dine. I'm not sure if this came up to the fact I had a game under my arm at the time (I had recently picked up a trade with someone). However, I told him I had eaten there several times in the past, and I didn't need the menu to confirm anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eugene256 wrote:
On a minor note, the hotel restaurant's Asian food buffet was rather embarrassing. Chicken nuggets are chicken nuggets even if you put up a sign claiming they are "tempura battered." This isn't the first year they've done it, either.

Overall I've been very happy with the hotel buffet over the years (that ratatouille was excellent by the way) but every hot item on the Asian-themed buffet that I tried was well below the quality standard I've come to expect; my entire table was rather disappointed.

On a positive note I was very happy to see a few recycle bins around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The good:

-The front desk staff. They did many things for me at different points in con, including switching me to a lower floor, getting me a refrigerator (didn't happen last year), giving me a later checkout (also didn't happen last year), etc. And they were super friendly, too.
-The pizza at the cash bar by the elevators. I'm a pizza snob, and it was, shockingly, very good.

The bad:

-No hot water. I didn't have a hot shower any day of the con. It wasn't cold, but it wasn't hot. While I'm not an early riser, the hotel still needs to have the capacity to ensure I can take a hot shower whenever I want. Several others I spoke with mentioned the same issue, so I know it was a systemic problem.
-Air conditioners in the rooms. I like it cold when I sleep. Turning down the thermostat as low as it would go and turning the blower on high (and even leaving it constantly running) did not adequately cool off the room. I've had this issue in previous years as well, so I also know this to be a systemic issue. I don't believe the thermostats in the rooms told you the actual room temperature, but it wouldn't get much, if any, below 70.

The ugly:

For the third consecutive year, I had an issue with hotel staff not properly validating my parking ticket and had to pay $24 out of pocket at the gate to leave the airport. Then, I had to submit paperwork when I returned to the hotel and will have to wait literally months to receive reimbursement. That's not right. Hotel staff made the mistake, so it should have been corrected by hotel staff on the spot. When this happened last year (the amount was even greater), it took 5 months for me to receive my reimbursement check, so I expect the same this year. Based on my experiences from the past 3 years and the other posts in this thread, this appears to be a rampant problem that needs to be addressed prior to next year's convention.

Overall Grade: C. Some really nice staff and customer service offset by mechanical issues and poor execution of parking validation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I left twice this weekend - once for lunch on Friday and Saturday night when I left for good. Both times I had been parked more than 24 hours. The first time I went to the concierge desk and had great service. He checked my ticket, noted the time parked, filled out the appropriate form, handed back my ticket and the paper. The second time, I went to the front desk and someone stuck my ticket in a machine to stamp it and handed it back.

First time through the gates to leave on Friday went fine. When I left Saturday, though, apparently the person at the front desk didn't use the right code (according to the airport personnel) and I had to pay $24 to leave. This is the second time in two years this has happened.

It would be much appreciated if (all of) the hotel staff was properly trained on how to administer validations longer than 24 hours, especially at a con that people are likely to be parked for long stretches of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
I reserved a king and received a double queen. Not the worst thing ever, of course, but it's not really a reservation if it doesn't actually reserve what you reserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
justscott wrote:
-No hot water. I didn't have a hot shower any day of the con. It wasn't cold, but it wasn't hot. While I'm not an early riser, the hotel still needs to have the capacity to ensure I can take a hot shower whenever I want. Several others I spoke with mentioned the same issue, so I know it was a systemic problem.

We had this problem. Over the course of the con I discovered two hacks that helped - I mention them here in case this is still an issue next year:

1. After the hot water ran for a long time, we'd eventually get hotter water. (eg: if I showered after my roommate, I got genuinely hot water) We were on the 5th floor; I don't know if/how that affects things.

2. If I switched the showerhead from "mist spray" to "streams", it would *feel* hotter immediately. (Evaporation? Fluid dynamics resulting in a different proportion of water from hot vs cold pipes? Space aliens? No idea.) It also seemed to make #1 happen faster, probably due to higher flowthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rogers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish you had said something sooner. My wife and I had a king and wanted to trade for a double queen but front desk said no one had requested a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.