Subject: Descent 2nd edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thoughts on the game?
We are lacking an RPGish game and most of my friends showed interest in the type of "D&D" experience.

How does this hold up? hows the App?
Anything else that is as good or better for the price of 60$?

A couple of questions:
-How is the replay-ability?
-Does it feel RPGish? do you really feel like you are on an adventure or do you feel like you are being lead by a story and just chuck dice.
-Each player gets to fulfill himself? Does each character feel unique in his own way or does it end up with 1 player doing everything and the rest following?
-Does every character have separate goals or is it just one big quest for everyone to finish (I only saw act 1 because I am afraid of spoilers).
-If you can give some good points and bad points of the game, I would be grateful.
-How is this as an entry to RPG~D&D games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TalLavi wrote:
Thoughts on the game?
We are lacking an RPGish game and most of my friends showed interest in the type of "D&D" experience.

How does this hold up? hows the App?

Depends on what you define as "RPGish". Descent is a dungeon crawl. It has lots of dice rolling, killing monsters, and collecting treasure. It does NOT feature extensive role-playing of the characters. I haven't tried the app, but read that it does a good job.

TalLavi wrote:
Anything else that is as good or better for the price of 60$?

A couple of questions:
-How is the replay-ability?

You won't play every scenario in a single campaign, so you might want to play it again, provided you like the basic gameplay.

TalLavi wrote:
-Does it feel RPGish? do you really feel like you are on an adventure or do you feel like you are being lead by a story and just chuck dice.

Not really RPGish. The game is a loose sequence of battles, with a very thin plot between.

TalLavi wrote:
-Each player gets to fulfill himself? Does each character feel unique in his own way or does it end up with 1 player doing everything and the rest following?

Each character has unique abilities and learns a few along the journey. I'd say everybody has enough to do, and they do feel different. But keep in mind these differences are all combat related.

TalLavi wrote:
-Does every character have separate goals or is it just one big quest for everyone to finish (I only saw act 1 because I am afraid of spoilers).

One big quest for everyone (that is basically always "Kill X before Y happens.")

TalLavi wrote:
-If you can give some good points and bad points of the game, I would be grateful.

Production values are good, and there is a lot of variety. The tactical combat aspects are well done while keeping the rules relatively simple.
However, the balancing is generally bad (most scenarios clearly favour one side), and the game can become a little repetitive.

TalLavi wrote:
-How is this as an entry to RPG~D&D games?

I think it's a good entry to dungeon crawls (a genre I am not very familiar in), but based on what and how you write, I don't think this is the game you are looking for. It sounds to me like you are looking for a strong narrative with opportunities for each character to shine both in plot and gameplay abilities. Descent doesn't have that. All you do is run around and fight. There is no deep, twisting plot, and there is no incentive to actually roleplay your character(s).

Unfortunately, I don't have a better suggestion that might work better for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe my grasp on what a D&D experience actually is, but I am not looking for some heavy roll playing game, and when I say RPG I mean it in the computer game kind of way, where you play as a Warrior/Mage/Priest/Hunter and you just kill monsters and get loot, kill mobs and get to some mini bosses and one big boss at the end.

A little clarification about the APP as well.
I can play only 1 campaign for free and the rest are paid, but I get a couple of campaigns where 1 player plays as the overlord, right?

How long is each campaign? the app and the player overlord ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I see. In that case, I think that Descent should work well for you.

Still can't help you with the app, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, the app has two free campaigns and (so far) one paid one, which is highly replayable, though (essentially, a random dungeon).

You can simply install the app (via Steam, for example), and check it out for yourself.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.