Subject: Descent, questions about the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thoughts on the game?
We are lacking an RPGish game and most of my friends showed interest in the type of "D&D" experience.

How does this hold up? hows the App?
Anything else that is as good or better for the price of 60$?

A couple of questions:
-How is the replay-ability?
-Does it feel RPGish? do you really feel like you are on an adventure or do you feel like you are being lead by a story and just chuck dice.
-Each player gets to fulfill himself? Does each character feel unique in his own way or does it end up with 1 player doing everything and the rest following?
-Does every character have separate goals or is it just one big quest for everyone to finish (I only saw act 1 because I am afraid of spoilers).
-If you can give some good points and bad points of the game, I would be grateful.
-How is this as an entry to RPG~D&D games?

I also posted this in recommendations, if I did something wrong please correct me and I wont do it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be honest with you; this is not the game you are looking for. Descent is a tactical miniatures game. It is indeed an "RPGish" game, but not at all like D&D. The app is a nice addition, but is highly inferior to the original game with overlord. I have answered your questions from the perspective of the normal game, without the app.

Quote:
-How is the replay-ability?

Awesome! Even in just the Base game you find heaps of content to enjoy hours upon hours of gameplay. The different monsters, heroes, and classes can be combined endlessly. Then come the many expansions, each adding new quests, new campaigns, new monsters, heroes, classes, items, plot cards, overlord abilities, etc. This is easily the most repayable game I own.

Quote:
-Does it feel RPGish? do you really feel like you are on an adventure or do you feel like you are being lead by a story and just chuck dice.

Not at all. You don't play this game for the story. There are no choices in the game that influence the story. There are no surprises or hidden "plot twists". All quest information is public knowledge to all players. This is very much a game about chucking dice. Lots of them,

Quote:
-Each player gets to fulfill himself? Does each character feel unique in his own way or does it end up with 1 player doing everything and the rest following?

Not really sure what you mean here. Each hero is definately unique. There is not really an alpha-gamer issue in descent if that is what you mean. Each player has access to so many different options each time that it becomes hard to keep track of your own abilities later in the game,

Quote:
-Does every character have separate goals or is it just one big quest for everyone to finish (I only saw act 1 because I am afraid of spoilers).

All heroes have the same goal. Of course, that goal changes with each quest and encounter. But the heroes play towards the same goal as a team. Now, the overlord of course has its own objectives. Often quite the opposite as the heroes' goals...devil

Quote:
-If you can give some good points and bad points of the game, I would be grateful.

+ Great thematic game. Endless possibilities. Great interaction. Great atmosphere. Lots of expansions. Lots of different campaigns. High replayability.
- Snowball effect. Can be very cutthroat. Some scenarios are imbalanced. Some scenarios can take a disproportionate amount of time.

Quote:
-How is this as an entry to RPG~D&D games?

This is not an RPG. Its only resemblance with D&D is that both games happen to have a fantasy theme.

Having said all this: Descent is a great game! But in your case I would try it first before you buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to what Alexander said: about the app, Road to Legend provides the full coop experience and the sense of exploration lacking in the standard game. You have two free campaigns to start with (it's more one and a half, really) and The Delve, which is sort of a freeform dungeon which has tons of replayability. The dungeon levels are hand designed but there are dozens of them (many more if you add expansions) and you'll typically see only a few random ones in each game.

And I would stress that this is not in any way an entry point to RPGs save for getting a taste for the general setting (sword and sorcery and the like). If you want an intro for D&D, just get D&D. I believe the last (5th?) edition is quite newbie-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe my grasp on what a D&D experience actually is, but I am not looking for some heavy roll playing game, and when I say RPG I mean it in the computer game kind of way, where you play as a Warrior/Mage/Priest/Hunter and you just kill monsters and get loot, kill mobs and get to some mini bosses and one big boss at the end.

A little clarification about the APP as well.
I can play only 1 campaign for free and the rest are paid, but I get a couple of campaigns where 1 player plays as the overlord, right?

How long is each campaign? the app and the player overlord ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
In terms of computer RPG, Descent plays out a lot like that, with an overlord player making life difficult for the heroes and hero players causing the overlord's plan to rule the world to delay. Stupid heroes...

In terms of what the Road to Legend offers:
- Time of a given quest can be about an hour, maybe more if it's a complicated quest. I don't have a lot of experience playing RtL with physical components (I have all of my stuff in an online form of the game which makes setup and cleanup pretty fast)
- All players are hero players in every version currently available.
- Two story-based campaigns exist. You can play them without reading the story text just fine, if you prefer.
-- One (Kindred Fire) has a number of randomly picked side quests, and branching paths based on hero victory/defeat. FFG was going to charge money for this but then Descent sales spiked and they decided to release it for free.
-- The other (Rise of All Goblins) has only one story quest and two side quests that are picked randomly, with optional tutorial to start you off and let you get to know how the app operates.

- The Delve is not really story-driven. It has randomly picked small "Stage" levels including boss fights, each with some flavour text but hero victory or game over are the only two possible outcomes for each stage. Heroes gain XP and loot after every stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
foxreinard wrote:
In terms of computer RPG, Descent plays out a lot like that, with an overlord player making life difficult for the heroes and hero players causing the overlord's plan to rule the world to delay. Stupid heroes...

In terms of what the Road to Legend offers:
- Time of a given quest can be about an hour, maybe more if it's a complicated quest. I don't have a lot of experience playing RtL with physical components (I have all of my stuff in an online form of the game which makes setup and cleanup pretty fast)
- All players are hero players in every version currently available.
- Two story-based campaigns exist. You can play them without reading the story text just fine, if you prefer.
-- One (Kindred Fire) has a number of randomly picked side quests, and branching paths based on hero victory/defeat. FFG was going to charge money for this but then Descent sales spiked and they decided to release it for free.
-- The other (Rise of All Goblins) has only one story quest and two side quests that are picked randomly, with optional tutorial to start you off and let you get to know how the app operates.

- The Delve is not really story-driven. It has randomly picked small "Stage" levels including boss fights, each with some flavour text but hero victory or game over are the only two possible outcomes for each stage. Heroes gain XP and loot after every stage.

Thanks, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of the game.
I get the mechanics, it just that it seems pretty dull, like the stage keeps getting rearranged but its still the same thing.

Maybe I am missing something that you only get when you play the game, but for me it just looks like do X (X revolves around killing monsters) -> OK now do Y (Y might not be about killing the monsters, but its still the major part of the game) and so on and so on.

I guess I'll do some more research, thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Road to Legend App replaces the overlord. There are two free campaigns, one is a short tutorial campaign and the other is a full length (8 main quests plus multiple story quests). The only one paid campaign currently available for the app. It's more of a dungeon crawl then a story campaign.

The traditional overlord campaigns are at least half a dozen quests long, not to mention all the quests the expansions give you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
TalLavi wrote:
Thanks, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of the game. I get the mechanics, it just that it seems pretty dull, like the stage keeps getting rearranged but its still the same thing.

Very few quests are similar to one another. True, they all feature tiles (30 numbered tiles, each with two sides in the core game and a total of 98 numbered tiles across all content, plus end caps, entrances and connectors) and they all feature monsters and they all have heroes.

In Siege of Skytower, the heroes are trying to stop the overlord's forces from getting past them along three different lanes. If they can hold out long enough without letting too many monsters get past them, the heroes win.

In The Masquerade Ball the heroes are trying to unmask guests to root out cultists, while the overlord is kidnapping party guests trying to find one of them who knows the passwords to the doors in the basement. That's Encounter 1 out of 2.

In The Wyrm Turns, one of the overlord's Lieutenants joins the heroes and tries to free himself from the overlord's influence.

Descent's scenarios are most often "heroes have one goal, overlord has a different goal", rather than "Kill stuff". Most of the time if you just stand around killing monsters as the heroes, you will fail the quest.

Some quests do feature murder as the primary goal, but they also often have interesting game mechanics to go with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of the game.
I get the mechanics, it just that it seems pretty dull, like the stage keeps getting rearranged but its still the same thing.

Well, yeah. It's exactly like that. But are computer RPG's any different? If you want to compare it to a computer game, it basically is like world of warcraft. but then without the grinding. If you like that kind of gameplay in a board game, then this is a game for you.

Quote:
Maybe I am missing something that you only get when you play the game, but for me it just looks like do X (X revolves around killing monsters) -> OK now do Y (Y might not be about killing the monsters, but its still the major part of the game) and so on and so on.

If you look at it that way, any game can be described as do X, then do something different. I'm still not really getting what is that you want out expect out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:

Well, yeah. It's exactly like that. But are computer RPG's any different? If you want to compare it to a computer game, it basically is like world of warcraft. but then without the grinding. If you like that kind of gameplay in a board game, then this is a game for you.

Funny you say this. My wife and I played World of Warcraft together in the late 2000's. It was fun in its time. Now we love to play Road to Legend because it's has a lot of the same things that made Wow fun (without the grinding!!!!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
TalLavi wrote:
Maybe my grasp on what a D&D experience actually is, but I am not looking for some heavy roll playing game, and when I say RPG I mean it in the computer game kind of way, where you play as a Warrior/Mage/Priest/Hunter and you just kill monsters and get loot, kill mobs and get to some mini bosses and one big boss at the end.

Ah, so you're not looking for an rpg, you're looking for a dungeon crawl. In that case Descent is pretty dungeon crawl-ish. Other options would be games like wrath of ashardalon and temple of elemental evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.