7 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster – Sunstalker Expansion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: PotS-campaign - the final lantern years rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we just played our first PotS campaign, as always with first campaigns going in blind and not knowing what lies before us. From the beginning, having played two vanilla campaigns before that, we could not imagine how to survive the nemesis apocalypse of the last few lantern years. Now, here we are, at lantern year 24, heavily bruised but still standing to face...

The Hand Level 3.

We knew that would be not exactly a piece of cake, but +3 speed and +6 damage on already brutal attacks - we are not feeling ready for that, having not that much evasion on our survivors nor very strong armour sets (leather and screaming fur, mainly). We did not calculate that the buff on an L3 Hand would be so hefty. Our warrior of the sun (unlimited dodges) was just killed by the Kings Man.

Has anyone beaten that beast? Any little clues concerning a strategy to go in that fight and have at least one survivor in the aftermath?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you don't have Warriors of the Sun (and no steel shields AND a way to regain survival to use it), you are doomed to fail that one.

Hand L3 requires unnatural endurance, and you can't escape it.

The Screaming Fur set is basically the best tank gear you can get in PoSun.

Any Immortal guys with Frenzy drinks and other cheap tricks to regain insanity after being hit? If your settlement has Accept The Darkness principle, he should die of Brain Trauma only on a 10.

You can try the high Evasion route, but even a couple of hits can wreck you badly...

What is your choice of gear/survivors exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alessio!

We have an immortal survivor and are planning on sending her, she has 35 insanity by now. But even that won't stand long when every hit does +6 damage. The idea of making her frenzy is great though, we have two frenzy drinks. (and Collective Toil)

We have leather and screaming fur sets, but are thinking about just going in not relying on armor that much – the 5 or 6 base armor are probably gone within one attack...

We have one warrior of the sun (unlimited survival, not the unlimited dodge one).

We are planning on NOT attacking The Hand but to endure the attacks. So we won't need weapons.

I am thinking of building very unusual gear grids right now... Monster grease and green affinities for +2 evasion, dried acanthus to ignore a severe injury, green charm maybe to roll 6-10 when supposed to die, rawhide vest including affinities for one more evasion, shield (just leather here) of course...

Don't have the game near me now, so that's all I can say at this moment. I think we will be crushed mercilessly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that you can equip one frenzy drink per survivor! you want means to get insanity, basically, but unfortunately it's all set.

you can also give intentionally more affinities of one color to single survivors, so they will receive hits distributed evenly among its basic attacks (that target the most affinities of any given color).

steel shield gives you unlimited blocks with survival, so it would have been perfect, but unfortunately that's not your case.

ease the load on your green aura survivor making other guys have the other auras.

also, you may want to ask our own Styfen, he has played an impressive amount of time with sunstalker expansion and with kdm in general, so he might be able to give you more accurate suggestions. link this thread in the main strategy forum, or pm him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still owe you the story how we did with this insanely brutal nemesis.
It is about three months between our heroic battle and today, so I'll just be able to outline what we did.

We had an Immortal survivor with 35 insanity, so she could tank quite a bit (but was beginning to take physical damage lots earlier than we thought).

Two survivors had Extra Sense, too, for an additional dodge per round.

We had 11 survival, everyone to the max. Everyone had a leather shield. One survivor could get 7 bleeding tokens due to being an Unconscious Fighter.
We had 1 bandages, 1 dried acanthus and the green charm.

We tried to get as much evasion as possible, even when that meant that the armor values would be lower. Evasion was not huge, though (4/4/3/2).

Now for the important bit: We had 17 resources at that time, so we were able to build two musk bombs from the barber surgeon: "If adjacent to monster when it draws AI, you may spend 2 survival and archive Musk Bomb to roll 1d10. On 3+ discard AI without playing it."

One survivor with rawhide headband manipulated the AIs, so that these two musk bombs could be used to ditch exactly the two most cruel AIs of The Hand. We were lucky and it worked both of the tries!

Also, I remember having had two to-hit-rolls by The Hand with no or one hit, so that was a bit of luck on our side, besides that our plan with getting as much evasion as possible was successful.

In the end, ALL of our people survived this showdown.

So, that's how we nuked The Hand Lvl3.

We were stunned and incredibly exited to fight the ultimate boss monster next lantern year... The ancient legendary giant red lion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
The ancient legendary giant red Lion must be a crossover: I have seen it weak havoc in Warhammer games, Necromunda games, descent games, blood bowl games... Scourge for miniaturekind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Needless to say that we lost the Red Lion nemesis showdown, so this and all upcoming settlements will have to live under the yoke of his terrible regime.
Minus two Hagfish resources every lantern year, or else he'll take Slenderman and Watcher hostage and break the delicate plastic parts one by one while we must watch and suffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.