Popular Tags: [View All]
Mohd Nur Adli Haji Abd Ghani
Brunei
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei-Muara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!
So, I just read the rules and there are a few questions and ambiguity.
The rules in general look solid, but I haven't played a game yet, so that might change.

[EDIT as of 13/1/2017]:
Here are all the questions and answers compiled under one post:

Q/ Is there two pool of Focus points? One for Combat encounters and one for when on the Main board? During combat, does the regained Focus points affect the main board ones?
A/ Yes this is accurate.

Q/ Whats the difference between normal damage and Cyteon damage? This is mostly due to the Quality Cyteon-infused, as I think it has nothing to do with Armor/Barrier. Will it affect changes with Items? I haven't checked through them, so my apologies if that.
A/ Normal damage is blocked by armor and Cyteon damage is blocked by barriers.

Q/Do Armor/Barrier stackup from abilities like Survivor Michael Rain and items?
A/ Yes they do stack

Q/Does Counterattacks work with Cyteon powers, as they do have Range?
A/ No they do not.

Q/ What are Reaction checks? From what I could discern, I think it meant the combat check when conducting Counterattack through Scanning.
A/ Reaction check actually refers to the start of battle. This would affect your stats when determining the order of battle.

Q/So for Reaction checks, this will increase the Speed stat to determine Initiative?
A/ Yes this is correct

Q/In one of the skills, it was referring to Weather Cyteon powers, does it mean Elemental powers?
A/ Yes this is correct. The word was not changed correctly.

Q/Is Bonecrusher and Eruption, which can be found in Story Encounters, actually Legendary cards?
A/ There are a few things found via story that can also be randomly found and are not legendary cards.

Q/Alukahni's Legendary scavenge is the Conqueror, and the Yendethias Dark Cleaver found in one of the Story encounter is Corruption? Because they are noted differently, and there is no card with those names.
A/ This is correct.

Q/The Cyteon Power Tear have the effect -3 to target combat checks, does this means the target will gain a -3 to all combat checks until end of combat, or until end of turn like Disarm?
A/ This card applies until end of combat but does not stack multiple uses. It only reapplies the same effect if it has been used before on the same alien. This does stack with disarm though.

Q/Does the Knockback quality stacks up with the Knockback from the Guarantee Damage Critical success effect for a total of 3 spaces?
A/ This is correct.

Q/Which Character correspond to which Faction - Fire [F]; Psion [P]; Ghost [G] and Noraver [N]? I think those that have the Ghost and Psion in their titles would linked with the item cards of the same type.
A/ This is correct, anything does not say Ghost or Psion is a rank in FIRE.

Q/Is Tal'ruza the Champion a part of the Noraver faction, as that seems to make the most sense to me, so he would benefit from Noraver items?
A/Yes this is correct

Q/When a Survivor gains Experience points which put them above 9, is the excess Experience points wasted when they level up? For example, a Survivor has 12 Experience points; does it go back to 1 Experience point with a level gain or 3 Experience points with a level gain?
A/ The extra experience points apply to the next level.

Q/Does a Survivor have to be in a combat encounter to be eligible to gain Cyteon powers from that Encounter? What if they are in the same site as the encounter?
A/ Yes they have to be in the encounter to earn anything from the encounter.

Q/When a Story or Site encounter states that the Survivor gain a Resource of their choice, does this include Small power sources and Large power sources? I think it specifically noted that Large power sources can only be found by defeating an Omega alien only.
A/ This means only the basic resources available and does not include any type of power source.

Q/For the Story Cards, which side is the day and night one? I have been playing with the bright moon as the night one [which is on the top right of the cards], is that correct?
A/ The bright side is day, dark side is night.

Q/which battle boards count as what kind, because some of them have is not specified in the battle board selection under combat? Are there generic boards which can be used for any colored region?
A/ Each battle boards border corresponds with the type listed in the rulebook.

Q/They are 3 boards that correspond to the names in the rules, Caves, Desert and Jungle [which to me implies Forest]; but what about the following: Coast, Sacrifice, City, Elements and Stations? I would assume either Sacrifice or City represent the Alien board?
Hmm, you state the border, but they are all gray for me.
A/ I'll list them:

Desert Board: Yellow, Red
Jungle Board: Green, Red
Caves Board: Blue
City: Purple
Station: Purple
Sacrifice: Blue
Coast: Green, Yellow, Red
Elements: Green, Yellow, Red

Q/Does Partial cover applies if you are next to them? If yes, does that mean it is better to shoot around them, and then hide in cover?
A/ Partial cover applies if you are adjacent to it. It would be your choice to decide if this is beneficial to you or not based on the circumstances.

Q/ From what I could read, it seems that it is much better for a player to play the roles of the Aliens, rather than use the Alien AI behaviours, because how does one handle the Omega Aliens? They are 3 Attacks per Alien [I was thinking of randomizing before activation with a D10: 1-6 for top attack; 7-8 for middle attack and 9-10 for bottom attack]?
A/ It really depends on how you want to play it. We feel it works well either way and for the Omega aliens we did a similar way with random dice rolls as well but felt on some turns it's obviously smarter for the Omega do something specific. So you can kind of blend it, go random, or control it.

Q/Does Omega aliens move on the main board? And if yes, what is their base movement speed? Is it 2 as normal?
A/ This is correct.

Q/ For the Omega Alien Notshu, his bottom attack is a beam attack, does that mean he makes a Ranged Attack? If yes, what is his range?
A/A Beams range goes through all squares in a straight line.

Q/For the Omega alien Ricendithas, does his Ancient Bloodline ability increase his Health also? I don't think it applies, as it requires him to have 7 health or less to activate.
A/ Technically he does but it does not do him much good as it is increasing his max health but not healing him. So it does not really do anything for him in that sense. It's mainly for the increase to the max of his other stats.

Q/ Is the Chykro Alpha Alien a ranged enemy? Because the weapon it’s carrying is making me confused, as from the rules, it is a Strength-based enemy thus it is a melee enemy.
A/ His weapon is very short ranged and he is special type of alien that will be expanded upon hopefully in later expansions. We only use two types of damage currently for aliens and Cyteon range is a lot longer then his short range weapon. So it fit more for him to be strength based.

Q/The Special ability for the Beta alien Apharixia, does it mean once it died, it resurrects at full health? Is this limited to only once per Apharixia, as this would make more sense? Does this stack with the Desert night ability?
A/ The parasite ability is based on a dice roll and is rolled every time. So it is limited to the number of successes. This does stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pangalactic Entertainment
United States
California
flag msg tools
1. It really depends on how you want to play it. We feel it works well either way and for the Omega aliens we did a similar way with random dice rolls as well but felt on some turns it's obviously smarter for the Omega do something specific. So you can kind of blend it, go random, or control it.

2. Beams range goes through all squares in a straight line.

3. Normal damage is blocked by armor and Cyteon damage is blocked by barriers.

4. His weapon is very short ranged and he is special type of alien that will be expanded upon hopefully in later expansions. We only use two types of damage currently for aliens and Cyteon range is a lot longer then his short range weapon. So it fit more for him to be strength based.

We have had some other questions as well and we plan to make a FAQ on our website for commonly asked questions. Just have not got to it yet. I will soon though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brunei
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei-Muara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you for the replies!
I do have a few more questions:
1/ What are Reaction checks? From what I could discern, I think it meant the combat check when conducting Counterttack through Scanning.

2/For the Story Cards, which side is the day and night one? I have been playing with the bright moon as the night one [which is on the top right of the cards], is that correct?

3/In one of the skills, it was referring to Weather Cyteon powers, does it mean Elemental powers?

4/Is Bonecrusher and Eruption, which can be found in Story Encounters, actually Legendary cards?

5/For the Omega alien Ricendithas, does his Ancient Bloodline ability increase his Health also? I don't think it applies, as it requires him to have 7 health or less to activate.

7/ Is there two pool of Focus points? One for Combat encounters and one for when on the Main board? During combat, does the regained Focus points affect the main board ones?

8/Which battle boards count as what kind, because some of them have is not specified in the battle board selection under combat? Are there generic boards which can be used for any colored region?

9/Alukahni's Legendary scavenge is the Conqueror, and the Yendethias Dark Cleaver found in one of the Story encounter is Corruption? Because they are noted differently, and there is no card with those names.

10/Which Character correspond to which Faction - Fire [F]; Psion [P]; Ghost [G] and Noraver [N]? I think those that have the Ghost and Psion in their titles would linked with the item cards of the same type.

11/Does a Survivor have to be in a combat encounter to be eligible to gain Cyteon powers from that Encounter? What if they are in the same site as the encounter?

12/When a Story or Site encounter states that the Survivor gain a Resource of their choice, does this include Small power sources and Large power sources? I think it specifically noted that Large power sources can only be found by defeating an Omega alien only.

13/Does Omega aliens move on the main board? And if yes, what is their base movement speed? Is it 2 as normal?

EDIT:
14/Does Partial cover apply if you are next to them? If yes, does that mean it is better to shoot around them, then hide in cover?

15/Does Counterattacks work with Cyteon powers, as they do have Range?

16/The Special ability for the Beta alien Apharixia, does it mean once it died, it resurrects at full health? Is this limited to only once per Apharixia, as this would make more sense? Does this stack with the Desert night ability?

17/When a Survivor gains Experience points which put them above 9, is the excess Experience points wasted when they level up? For example, a Survivor has 12 Experience points, does it go back to 1 Experience point with a level gain or 3 Experience points with a level gain?

18/Does the Knockback quality stack up with the Knockback from the Guarantee Damage Critical success effect for a total of 3 spaces?

19/The Cyteon Power Tear have the effect -3 to target combat checks, does this means the target will gain a -3 to all combat checks until end of combat, or until end of turn like Disarm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
1. Reaction check actually refers to the start of battle. This would effect your stats when determining the order of battle.

2. The bright side is day, dark side is night.

3. Yes this is correct. The word was not changed correctly.

4. There are a few things found via story that can also be randomly found and are not legendary cards.

5. Technically he does but it does not do him much good as it is increasing his max health but not healing him. So it does not really do anything for him in that sense. It's mainly for the increase to the max of his other stats.

7. Yes this is accurate.

8. Each battle boards border corresponds with the type listed in the rulebook.

9. This is correct.

10. This is correct, anything does not say Ghost or Psion is a rank in FIRE.

11. Yes they have to be in the encounter to earn anything from the encounter.

12. This means only the basic resources available and does not include any type of power source.

13. This is correct.

14. Partial cover applies if you are adjacent to it. It would be your choice to decide if this is beneficial to you or not based on the circumstances.

15. No they do not.

16. The parasite ability is based on a dice roll and is rolled every time. So it is limited to the number of successes. This does stack.

17. The extra experience points apply to the next level.

18. This is correct.

19. This card applies until end of combat but does not stack multiple uses. It only reapplies the same effect if it has been used before on the same alien. This does stack with disarm though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brunei
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei-Muara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
Thank you for the answers, that cleared it up a lot!

I do have a few followup questions:

1/Is Tal'ruza the Champion a part of the Noraver faction, as that seems to make the most sense to me, so he would benefit from Noraver items?

2/They are 3 boards that correspond to the names in the rules, Caves, Desert and Jungle [which to me implies Forest]; but what about the following: Coast, Sacrifice, City, Elements and Stations? I would assume either Sacrifice or City represent the Alien board?
Hmm, you state the border, but they are all gray for me.

3/Do Armor/Barrier stackup from abilities like Survivor Michael Rain and items?

4/So for Reaction checks, this will increase the Speed stat to determine Initiative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
1. Yes this is correct

2. I'll list them:

Desert Board: Yellow, Red
Jungle Board: Green, Red
Caves Board: Blue
City: Purple
Station: Purple
Sacrifice: Blue
Coast: Green, Yellow, Red
Elements: Green, Yellow, Red

3. Yes they do stack

4. Yes this is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brunei
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei-Muara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thank you for your help, it has been tremendous in helping me wrap my head around the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cabel dawson
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo, I have no idea what a reaction check is after reading the rule book and this thread, and reading the rule book again.....I would appreciate a little help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brunei
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei-Muara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there!
Reaction checks basically increase yer initiative at the start of the battle, when determining the order as quoted from the developer a few post above. So, you will add it to your Speed as noted on point 5 on page 19 of the rulebook. I think it was leftover from an earlier draft.

PangalacticEnt wrote:
1. Reaction check actually refers to the start of battle. This would effect your stats when determining the order of battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cabel dawson
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, with you so far. Looked where you said in the rule book and didn't see anything about it. Do both players and aliens make them? What stat do you roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brunei
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei-Muara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Reaction checks should be noted only on the skill cards, it is never mentioned anywhere else.
Only Survivors have access to the skills, thus they are only ever affect them, never aliens.
Both survivors and aliens make Initiative, and this is their Speed - with the added bonus given that says Reaction Checks [for example, the 'Rapid Reactions' skill will add +2 when determining Initiative].
On page 19 of the rulebook, it should says 'Set Initiative', so Reaction checks only apply to this part.
Basically, just replace 'Reaction Checks' with 'Initiative'.
There is no rolling for Initiative, just straight up setting the order depending on who has the highest Speed.

EDIT: Almost forgot, there is no mention of Reaction checks in the rulebook beside the one instance on the skill cards - this is most likely an error when the cards are printed [as noted by some words that have no other mentions in the rulebook].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cabel dawson
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brunei
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei-Muara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, if ye have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask here.
Especially if it is a new one.
Hope ye have fun with the game! =3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randall fischer

Warren
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say you can move and attack in any order during your turn. Does this mean you can move then attack or attack then move...or does it mean you can move, attack, and finish moving if you have the move points left.

The 50% penalty for shooting through cover...round up or down?

During the reload phase...does each player draw a human item card? We saw it in the rules, but never again in any summary. Just seems odd the players would get free loot...unless it's scattered fragments of their ship they come across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brunei
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei-Muara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there!
I can possibly help you in regards to yer question, but I am not part of the development team, so this is basically conjecture and should be treated as unofficial rulings or houserules.

In regards to move and attack, we played that you have to finish either, and can't interrupt one with the other, so you must finished moving before you can attack or vice versa. Of course, you can play where if you still have remaining speed, you can continue moving after attacking.

We played it with the worst result - so round down. I think you can play it either way really.

Yep, the survivors should each get a human item card.
They are generally useful to get better equipment or utility items like healing items and such. Their usefulness extend as far as the survivors used, as those that can't use guns (poor Precision skill) effectively would just be carrying items that might be less useful, especially with the limit in hand and in the armory - and with the usage of Skilled item quality. It basically create a level of item management. Do you keep an Item that is good for another survivor, but that survivor is a few regions away.
And the encounters do become more challenging as the turns go [it can escalate really fast], and I think this was a way to give the survivors a slight help in that regard. Healing items are hard to find, and mostly as human items.

Hope this helps, and hopefully PGE can answer your questions better than I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan ornelas
United States
California
flag msg tools
new user
Thank you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.