$20.00
$60.00
Karen
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I have 2 boys aged 7 and 9 and we all love games. At the moment, we rely heavily on Gamewrigth card games, zombie dice, geistesblitz, My First Carcassone and Monster Factory. We have a few others, but that's what gets played regularly.

So it's Christmas shopping time again. Santa wanted to get one smaller/card game for each of them (think I've got this covered) and then one bigger board game. The trouble is that my husband absolutely hates playing anything longer than 15-20 minutes. So while we all love King of Tokyo, it's on the longer side of husband's attention span! We also have Forbidden Island and I hate it. I end up playing all 4 parts myself. Not sure cooperatives jive with my over-bearing personality and husband's disinterest.

The one game he absolutely LOVES is Hey, That's My Fish because he is secretly really competitive! (which drives me crazy with the tiny cheap version). So in looking for one "bigger" game as in full sized and not just cards, I have in my amazon basket:
Camel Up
Ticket to Ride
Spookies
Catan Jr
Blokus

I'm open to your thoughts on 2 bigger family games. The things I consider when buying games are: playtime, easy rules (husband can't sit still to learn!), and making sure I don't repeat the same kind of game with different themes.

Speaking on themes, they love the ghosty games, dinosaurs and my 7 year old has a weird love for sheep... he's a strange/sweet kid.

Sorry for long post. I thought it was worth a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Port Royal comes to mind. Very easy rules, a fancy pirate theme, and a lot of replayability.

Another fun one could be Splendor.

If you want to step up a little bit the game, get Dominion (core only, cards are easier to play considering you wanna stay in a family games category). Huge replay ability, and great gateway game for getting into more evolved stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus is excellent and should be perfect for your husband. Quick and competitive. My boys, 9 and 6, love to play it as well. We also enjoy Castle Panic as a family. Hey, That's My Fish gets playtime in our house as well. I don't have any experience with the others on your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My father in law sounds like your husband. It is like pulling teeth to get him to play a game.
The game we have found that he will play every time is Ticket to Ride. He has to be the black trains every time, but he enjoys the set collecting and route building. He said the set collecting reminds him of card games he use to play with his brothers growing up.
Luckily the rest of the family also enjoys this game, so it gets played a lot.
The only other game that we have found for him is Trekking. It is similar to Ticket to Ride, so it didn't take much explaining for him to understand the game. I am not sure if it is available in the UK, but I think it is worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My first thought: don't worry about it. If your husband doesn't want to go deeper into playing games, don't ask him to. The hobby can be something that you share with your two sons, and upon occasion, your husband will join in. My wife isn't always interested in playing what my son and I play, but she will join in on shorter games (among them being Ticket to Ride). Knowing that frees me to buy games that appeal directly to my son and, dare I say, that challenge him more.

Second thought: maybe you should find game that is more adult, more complex in theme and design that might appeal to him in terms of complexity and theme. It could be something that you play with him, and the children might join in on occasion. Samurai, for instance, is fairly simple in terms to rules, but is much deeper in strategy. It has a pasted on theme, but it feels like you are jockeying for position on the map. Your seven-year old might not quite be ready for it, but your nine-year old should.

Of the games you listed, I would recommend against Catan JR. Your kids will age out of it very fast. The rest would be fine. I doubt spookies will appeal to your husband: more press your luck, but less direct than KoT. Ticket to Ride can be aggressive and competitive, and has the advantage of having lots of additional maps to add to the gameplay.

You might consider Survive: Escape from Atlantis! or Survive: Space Attack! (two versions of the same game system), which have fairly simple rules that younger kids can understand that require some thought and can be mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to ride
Black Fleet
Survive

... all family friendly, all very competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not heard kind things about Catan Junior. If your boys are able to handle the bargaining maybe full Catan?

What about games that are a little more story telling? Betrayal at House on the Hill is semi competative (scratch your husband's need to win) but also semi coop. It's got some legs to it and can be played in about 45 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
WicklessKaren wrote:

I have 2 boys aged 7 and 9 and we all love games.
Absolutely hates playing anything longer than 15-20 minutes.

The one game he absolutely LOVES is Hey, That's My Fish because he is secretly really competitive! (which drives me crazy with the tiny cheap version). So in looking for one "bigger" game as in full sized and not just cards, I have in my amazon basket:
Camel Up
Ticket to Ride +1 (slightly longer playtime 40/50mins but I don't physically know a person who hasn't enjoyed playing it)
Spookies
Catan Jr
Blokus +1 (Haven't played but from what I have heard, it fits your criteria)

My Wife is just past that stage so will play for 1hr or 1.5hrs tops but still plays very rarely at the moment, I'm just hoping its pregnancy but its very on and off even before that. I understand the frustration as boardgaming is a great way to bring anyone together. Especially since your boys enjoy it.

Apart from Blokus and Ticket to Ride I would suggest:
Citadels
Incan Gold (I can vaguely remember playing this but it does have a quick playtime)
Get Bit
Spectaculum (?not sure whether this would be good due to play time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Crokinole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit? Extremely family friendly and even non-gamers like it.

Or 7 Wonders, fits all your points.

Blokus has the competitive edge your husband is looking for I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of Blokus I suggest Battle Sheep! Simple and fast game with fantastic sheep tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
mb
My 11 year old daughter likes Sushi Go for something fast and easy. Carcassonne is good, just play "Introductory" with monks, robbers and knights, no farmers. You can even set a point limit, first player to 50 points or some such. My daughter sort of liked Machi Koro, but it is quick, but we can't play it all the time, just every once in a while. And then I would agree on Ticket to Ride, Castle Panic is good, simple fast fun coop, and my sons like Unexploded Cow. Competitive and silly. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party
Quadropolis
Port Royal
Via Nebula
Love Letter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) absolutely hates playing anything longer than 15-20 minutes
2) secretly really competitive
3) can't sit still to learn (rules)

Are you SURE that you only have two pre-teen boys?

My suggestions would include

Ghost Blitz
Tiny Epic Galaxy (or most of the Tiny Epic games really)
Carcassonne or Catan without expansions
Codewords (also good for building verbal & reasoning skills with kids)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may help. This is an "Advanced Search" for games listed as 15 minutes or less, then sorted by BGG rank:

https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear...

Codenames is the highest rank game on the list. Sushi Go! is also highly rated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
This may help. This is an "Advanced Search" for games listed as 15 minutes or less, then sorted by BGG rank:

thanks for the list - its pretty easy to find some good quick games. Completely forgot about deadman's draw as an option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Davenport
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I vote -

Camel Up
Spookies
Ticket To Ride

Also

Jamaica
Takenoko

We love Catan Jr too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Get Bit! has been purchased as one of the smaller/card game. I have high hopes for that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd highly recommend Can't Stop.

It is a relatively fast paced "push your luck" dice rolling game that plays quickly, can be super competitive but is pretty straight forward. It doesn't get the kind of dragging feeling that KoT can get sometimes if someone is in a stalemate, etc.

It's been around for over 30 years, and is still highly ranked.

There is a current version available on Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chief0101 wrote:
kentreuber wrote:

thanks for the list - its pretty easy to find some good quick games. Completely forgot about deadman's draw as an option

We have Deadman's Draw and enjoy it. It just released and is selling out fast, but Fabled Fruit might fit your criteria too.

My husband is a bit more tolerable, he does not mind learning it, but his max limit is 1hr. I can sometimes sneak in one that is 1.5hrs. He loves Arboretum but I don't think it would be a good one for your sons, all the different scoring option might be a bit overwhelming for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Thank you all so much for the help! I'm looking through some great suggestions and some of these games have gone in and out of my basket already.

I did play One Night Ulitmate Werewolf once but I don't remember it that well. Is that too much for 7 year old? Thinking they might like that and the deception portion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WicklessKaren wrote:
Thank you all so much for the help! I'm looking through some great suggestions and some of these games have gone in and out of my basket already.

I did play One Night Ulitmate Werewolf once but I don't remember it that well. Is that too much for 7 year old? Thinking they might like that and the deception portion?

Werewolf requires very little in the way of actual skill. Any age that can read (or recognize the pictures to tell the role) I think can handle it.

(Yes, this is some slight shade on Werewolf, but in reality, it's a pretty basic game that is made fun through the interactions, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that it is so basic.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Stu Holttum wrote:
1) absolutely hates playing anything longer than 15-20 minutes
2) secretly really competitive
3) can't sit still to learn (rules)

Are you SURE that you only have two pre-teen boys?

I know, right? He's not from a game playing family himself. I think it makes a difference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
St Nick is bringing Adventure Time Love Letter (better theme for my boys who will baulk at anything "girlie" and Top Trumps Dinos for stockings on the 6th Dec.

They are getting Get Bit, Super Rhino, Blokus and Camel Up, so a small and a big game each.

I may sneak in another game each as my husband's family expect me to buy gifts for them to give the kids. Ticket to Ride might be in the cart, mwahaha.

I really want to play Boss Monster for myself, but I think it's just too much for everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Nelson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up is fantastic for bringing out somebody's competitive side.

Blokus is a good game, but I probably won't ever play it again (played it with an adult with self control issues, who smacked the game away as another player was about to win. Really soured the experience.)

Ticket to ride is fine, a lot of people use it as a gateway game because it is simple, yet fun, but I have had people complain fifteen minutes in that they were bored and wanted to be done, so that is something to keep in mind for a reluctant gamer.

Battlelore or Memoir '44 are very simple

Battlesheep might be a fit for your son, but it is kinda similar to Hey, that's my fish!

Kill doctor lucky is simple, but can go really long if you ever play more than 4. and you need to ignore the rule about blocking off sections of the house and play the full house. Takes 20 minutes or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.