Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

In our last game (4th edition) several minor doubts showed up. In most cases we think that we have a correct interpretation, but we will appreciate an official or veteran player's answer.

- Battle terrain - Farm: may a unit be deployed "inside" the farm before the battle begins? Or does the controlling player have to move it to the farm -spending a battle move?
(We understand that a unit may be deployed inside the farm).

- Battle terrain - Farm: does a unit occupying a farm have to spend a battle move to abandon the farm?
(We understand that the answer is "no" and that abandoning the farm is "free", included in the battle move)

- Morale Checks - Bad morale: is the disengage battle move made immediately? That is, in the Morale sub-phase, immediately after failing the morale check? Or is it made as a normal battle move later, during the Combat sub-phase?
(We think that the disengage move is made immediately)

- Skirmishes: when the rules say "retreat normally", does it mean that rout attrition may be applied to retreating units?
(We think that rout attrition is not applied to skirmishes)

Thanks in advance. This is a great game!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a couple of questions to Grant a while ago, see here.

Quote:
- Battle terrain - Farm: may a unit be deployed "inside" the farm before the battle begins? Or does the controlling player have to move it to the farm -spending a battle move?
(We understand that a unit may be deployed inside the farm).

Yes, a unit may be deployed inside the farm, or on a hill, before the battle starts.

Quote:
- Battle terrain - Farm: does a unit occupying a farm have to spend a battle move to abandon the farm?
(We understand that the answer is "no" and that abandoning the farm is "free", included in the battle move)

I would think it costs you an action to abandon a farm, cause when I asked how to interpret this: "The unit defending a Farm or Hill can be freely exchanged with another unit located in the same position, but not if either unit has moved or fired this turn.", he answered that both units use their action to swap.

Quote:
- Morale Checks - Bad morale: is the disengage battle move made immediately? That is, in the Morale sub-phase, immediately after failing the morale check? Or is it made as a normal battle move later, during the Combat sub-phase?
(We think that the disengage move is made immediately)

It has to be done immediately for the very reason that it CAN cause a rout.

Quote:
- Skirmishes: when the rules say "retrat normally", does it mean that rout attrition may be applied to retreating units?
(We think that rout attrition is not applied to skirmishes)

There is no rout atrittion in skirmish combats.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your fast answer!

NOTE: After I sent my questions I had time to check older threads and saw that most of my questions had already been answered before. Sorry! blush

Nobi wrote:

Quote:

I would think it costs you an action to abandon a farm, cause when I asked how to interpret this: "The unit defending a Farm or Hill can be freely exchanged with another unit located in the same position, but not if either unit has moved or fired this turn.", he answered that both units use their action to swap.

Yes, we noticed that text, but it refers to the case where two friendly units swap their location inside the same position. But...
What if a unit abandons the farm to move ahead into the enemy position in front of it? In that case I think that leaving the farm would be included in the battle move.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentilhombre wrote:
What if a unit abandons the farm to move ahead into the enemy position in front of it?

Here is the official answer from Columbia Games:

Leaving the farm requires a move, just like entering a farm. Getting those troops out of the farm (they probably would rather stay there) to form up for an advance would certainly take some time. Retreating out of the farm to the Reserve is just one move.
The same applies to hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.