GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,170 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Crisis» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game impressions - 2 players, easy level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Success is never so interesting as Struggle.
badge
Oh, me alone! Make you a sword of me?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife & I just played our first 2 player game on easy level. Overall I was a bit disappointed because I didn't feel too much tension, interaction or turn angst, & by the end of the game we were swimming in money & points. There also seemed to be a bit of a runaway leader issue.

Here's a summary of how the game went:

- Neither of us took a loan all game, instead we were able to get money through companies like banking & resorts, etc.

- We each built one company per turn, ending up with 7 companies each by the end of the game. I generally chose industry & my wife went more for farms & resorts.

- I ended up with 17 employees and my wife had 12.

- I got my 5th manager at the end of round 2 & my wife got hers at the end of round 4. I think that gave me a big boost & it was mostly due to the luck of the company cards, e.g. there were no 'extra manager icons' on any company card in round 3.

- I started to get a lead in the mid-game & then seemed to run away with it by the end.

- Final money: $143, $70 (which was hard to keep track of even with the +$50/$100 markers as we had to go back over the $50 mark several times due to events & buying companies, etc.)

- Final scores: 164, 117 (and there's no component to keep track of more than 100 points)

We'll probably give the game another go at a harder difficulty but I'm not sure how much that will change things unless it happens to trigger the end game sooner (e.g. the Spaceport would still be capable of generating $55 & 18 VP per turn). Alternatively we might just wait to play with 3 or more players & see if that tightens things up.

Finally, it's a shame that there's no way for players to buy the resources of other players as it would be cool to specialise & to set up a functioning, interactive economy.

Here's a photo of my final supply chain:

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantelis Bouboulis
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The easy level is for beginners. Try the medium difficulty level instead. There is a big difference between the easy level and the medium level (the hard difficulty level is really hard to beat). The higher goals imposed by the austerity plan have a cumulative effect..
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Pierobon
Germany
Bad Tölz
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hxbx wrote:

- We each built one company per turn, ending up with 7 companies each by the end of the game. I generally chose industry & my wife went more for farms & resorts.

- I ended up with 17 employees and my wife had 12.

- I got my 5th manager at the end of round 2 & my wife got hers at the end of round 4. I think that gave me a big boost & it was mostly due to the luck of the company cards, e.g. there were no 'extra manager icons' on any company card in round 3.


These three statements got me thinking...

One company per turn means 7 actions spent

17 employees means 17 actions spent (24 total)

You say you had the 5th manager during your second round (i.e. you got 4 actions the first two rounds and 5 actions each of the remaining rounds (4x2 + 5x5 = 33 actions)

Which means that, removing the 24 actions spent in acquiring companies and employees you still get 9 actions for everything else. from supply purchase, to production, to export and this seems really a very small amount of actions, in particular since you are telling us that you went mostly for industrial production (which generally needs export to be exploited and produce VPs) because it means that you have produced VP at most in 4 of the 7 rounds of the game and this would seem not enough to survive the whole process even at easy level (especially since your wife, going with resort, would have spent most of the game underneath par level)

Just to be sure, how many worker did you buy for each action ?

Also, do you remember that you cannot use production from this round to feed your industries ?

BTW: Spaceport in your configuration produces 8VP and 55€ per production cycle (not per round, you can produce multiple times per round).

Please give it another try with more players and harder dificulties, it seems to be worth it...

Regards
Lucio
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Avers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TurambarGR wrote:
There is a big difference between the easy level and the medium level (the hard difficulty level is really hard to beat). The higher goals imposed by the austerity plan have a cumulative effect..
This we can confirm. Our first game was at easy, nice for learning the game but indeed just way too easy. Second game we started at hard and boy was that a mistake, round three the game ended. Now we play at medium and that is still a good challenge.

And while I've also read from others that there is no tension in 2p, our games (except for the one easy game) seem to disagree with that. Every round, from the very first onward, we always bump into each other on at leasr 1 or 2 spots. Probably because we play Crisis rather competitively, though we do try to avoid an early game ending, as we find that to be the most in the spirit of the game
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that Í´ve liked the game a lot BUT it was also too easy in a 2P game with the easy level.
Next time we will try for sure medium.
I could also imagine that with more players it`s getting more challenging as there might be less companies that one will be able to get. In a 2P game there was also a lot of opportunities to choose from.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough observations after 1 play, but there is masses of tension at all player counts when you increase the difficulty. Come back when you've tried medium and I bet most/all of your issues are resolved, with the exception of trading. The designers discussed why it wasn't included in the game in response to my review- worth a read.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iago71 wrote:


BTW: Spaceport in your configuration produces 8VP and 55€ per production cycle (not per round, you can produce multiple times per round).


Huh? How so? What is a production cycle? How would you produce multiple times per round with the same building???
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Success is never so interesting as Struggle.
badge
Oh, me alone! Make you a sword of me?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iago71 wrote:
hxbx wrote:

- We each built one company per turn, ending up with 7 companies each by the end of the game. I generally chose industry & my wife went more for farms & resorts.

- I ended up with 17 employees and my wife had 12.

- I got my 5th manager at the end of round 2 & my wife got hers at the end of round 4. I think that gave me a big boost & it was mostly due to the luck of the company cards, e.g. there were no 'extra manager icons' on any company card in round 3.


These three statements got me thinking...

One company per turn means 7 actions spent

17 employees means 17 actions spent (24 total)

You say you had the 5th manager during your second round (i.e. you got 4 actions the first two rounds and 5 actions each of the remaining rounds (4x2 + 5x5 = 33 actions)

Which means that, removing the 24 actions spent in acquiring companies and employees you still get 9 actions for everything else. from supply purchase, to production, to export and this seems really a very small amount of actions, in particular since you are telling us that you went mostly for industrial production (which generally needs export to be exploited and produce VPs) because it means that you have produced VP at most in 4 of the 7 rounds of the game and this would seem not enough to survive the whole process even at easy level (especially since your wife, going with resort, would have spent most of the game underneath par level)

Just to be sure, how many worker did you buy for each action ?

Also, do you remember that you cannot use production from this round to feed your industries ?

BTW: Spaceport in your configuration produces 8VP and 55€ per production cycle (not per round, you can produce multiple times per round).

Please give it another try with more players and harder dificulties, it seems to be worth it...

Regards
Lucio


Thanks for the detailed reply Lucio.

I was getting just one employee each action so your calculations are correct. My companies were mostly self-sustaining (using resources produced in previous rounds) so With the 9 left over actions I think I must have exported about 4 or 5 times, then I remember getting energy to run my bank on round 1, and with the other actions I think I took an influence card.

And thanks for pointing out that my Spaceport produces 8VP & not 18VP. I made that mistake twice so should have been 20VP lower. I'll take more care with that VP calculation next time, I accidentally treated it as if there was a 1x in front of the 3VP. I blame the late night & it being our first game.

Finally, I'm intrigued by what you mean by producing multiple times per round.

Based on all the comments here I'm now keen to give it another go on the next difficulty level.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Pierobon
Germany
Bad Tölz
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hxbx wrote:
I was getting just one employee each action so your calculations are correct. My companies were mostly self-sustaining (using resources produced in previous rounds) so With the 9 left over actions I think I must have exported about 4 or 5 times, then I remember getting energy to run my bank on round 1, and with the other actions I think I took an influence card.


PLEASE IGNORE ALL MY COMMENTS, I HAVE BEEN PLAYING ANOTHER GAME FOR THE LAST WEEKS... blushmodestblushmodest

LUCIO
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantelis Bouboulis
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucio, you cannot make multiple productions per round. I am sure you've got that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.