BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: New Games Research Network blog rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Wake
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi All,

I'd like to introduce the Games Research Network that we've recently set up at Manchester Metropolitan University. We're a group of researchers (from various disciplines) with a particular interest in play and games. My own background is in literary studies (and my current research focuses on board games) but the group's interests are much broader and include education, sociology, media studies, science communication, computer and video games etc.

You can find out more about what we do (and plan to do) on our website:

www.gamesresearchnetwork.org

I'm really keen to know what people think of the work we're doing and to hear any suggestions as for the directions in which we might take things. Please do take a look and post any comments here, on the blog, or email me.

Cheers - Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed! Are you considering participants from elsewhere? I'm an English professor from Chicago who uses games a lot in class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wake
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Brendan, we certainly are yes.

As you'll have seen the group is in its early stages (we set the network up this term) and we've got lots of stuff to work out. One of the first questions, and one of our main aims, is to see how we can work with people beyond our institution (so academics, gamers, designers, artists, industry). In the short term we're planning a symposium (likely next April) and from that we're hoping to put together a funding bid that'll allow us to extend the network in a more significant way.

Sam and I are currently planning a session to deliver a gaming session to support media students working on Fantasy and Horror worldbuilding so I'd be really interested to hear about your own work - your course on Zombies sounds great (I've just googled you!). Perhaps I could email you about this?

In the meantime, if you've followed the blog that's great (thanks) and if you have any suggestions about how the network might best develop its international aims we'd be really interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great! Do email me -- my contact info should be easy to find via Google. I can also e-introduce you to my friend and colleague Paul Booth, who has been doing more writing on this subject and visits the UK a couple times a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wake
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That'd be great. I read Paul's (excellent) book Game Play only last month. I'll get in touch by email soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Booth
United States
Forest Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks both! I'm definitely interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wake
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Excellent. And hello Paul. I'm very pleased to hear that this might be of interest. I'll get in touch by email in the very near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.