Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I kind of really want to get the Arkham Horror LCG. Honestly I haven't played any of the Arkham games but I did enjoy playing Pathfinder ACG on my phone but as I do ever so slight digging on LCGs it seems like they are all similar to Pathfinder ACG in that your "closing" or "Investigating" a location.

Also if I've already exhausted the fun in Pathfinder ACG would I even be interested in playing an LCG from FF if they are even a bit similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the new Arkham Horror card game yet, but Lord of the Rings LCG is very different from Pathfinder ACG, in that you aren't perpetually making checks with die rolls. You have to "puzzle out" your best move given your hand and the cards in front of you. There is risk in the way of card draws (in questing and combat) that might unexpectedly alter the results, but IMO it has a much different feel than Pathfinder ACG. Much more emphasis is placed on constructing your deck, and adventures can be radically different from one chapter pack to the next. We love it (and it also plays well solo).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Haven't played the new Arkham Horror card game yet, but Lord of the Rings LCG is very different from Pathfinder ACG, in that you aren't perpetually making checks with die rolls. You have to "puzzle out" your best move given your hand and the cards in front of you. There is risk in the way of card draws (in questing and combat) that might unexpectedly alter the results, but IMO it has a much different feel than Pathfinder ACG. Much more emphasis is placed on constructing your deck, and adventures can be radically different from one chapter pack to the next. We love it (and it also plays well solo).

Thanks for the insight. The reason why I never bought the physical version of pathfinder ACG is due to all the checks and the modifiers to checks. I Just imagine that it would be hard to keep track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
The reason why I never bought the physical version of pathfinder ACG is due to all the checks and the modifiers to checks. I Just imagine that it would be hard to keep track.

We use a huge D20 that's usually used as a life tracker in MTG and we move it up and down as we tally bonuses and add dice to the dice tray. It works incredibly well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Buffetta
United States
Wenonah
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you liked playing Pathfinder ACG but are looking for something different with a horror edge you might want to check out Apocrypha Adventure Card Game not released yet but should be soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game may fit what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
Also if I've already exhausted the fun in Pathfinder ACG would I even be interested in playing an LCG from FF if they are even a bit similar?
There's thankfully almost no similarity between the (repetitive and mind-numbing) Pathfinder ACG and FFG's LCGs.

The LotR LCG was already a decent first attempt at creating a solo(able) adventuring game, but (imho) suffers from several flaws, e.g. limited to no campaign play, low replayability of scenarios (requiring the purchase of a lot of expansions), and balance issues due to power-creep.

Arkham Horror LCG should address all of these flaws leaving only the one 'flaw' that is at the root of all LCGs (and considered to be a boon by some): You need to construct investigator decks before play.

At least deck construction has been simplified compared to the LotR LCG:
Deck size is smaller, and you're only allowed up to two copies of a single cards. You're also expected to keep the same deck during a campaign. It only changes due to 'leveling up' your investigator and certain in-game effects, like acquiring character flaws or finding new equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.