Popular Tags: [View All]
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Didn't see a topic on this.

Has anyone tried it?

I actually find myself in a group of 5 fairly often. We don't want to not include anyone in a campaign so would 5 break the game?

Has anyone tried it?

Clues scale per investigator, Boss health scales. I have only played the first mission a bunch of times, but I don't want it to be to easy or screw up the balance.

Would it make it harder?

More people could support you, so it playing it in hard mode a balance for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it, but at least one of the later scenarios has some variation in the setup according to whether there are 1, 2, 3 or 4 players. You'd have to make something up for 5. Apart from that I can't think of anything that would break the game for more than 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, why don't you just give it a try? Probably needs some proxy cards, since there are not enough cards in two core sets to build five decks, but only very few should be missing.

The game mechanics look like they would scale nicely.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that you have two core sets, you have enough of the class-specific player cards and the neutral skills to make all 5 investigator starter decks, but you'll be short two of each of the other neutral cards (Knife, Flashlight, Emergency Cache) - and you won't have any alternative level 0 cards to put in the decks instead. But as long as you proxy for 2 copies of each of those, you can create all 5 starter decks at the same time and try it out.

Apart from swapping cards between investigators, you'll have very little room for deck-building without more core sets, expansions, or more proxying. It should be an interesting experiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Sorry, I should mention I have 4 cores. So I have 5 fully build decks customized how id like.

Im more asking on how the game might scale with 5 opposed to 4. Would it be easier, harder, fairly the same. Most things I have seen seem to scale per starting investigator so that self balances. Bosses seem to be per investigator so that scales. Its a extra card from the Mythos deck per round but that seems to balance (or harm investigators by possibly placing doom quicker on agendas)

Thanks for pointing out later on set up is different per player. That's what im wondering as I don't want to have 5 be a game breaker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the later scenarios there are definitely more cards that add doom to the overall scenario, so having 5 people draw cards may cause doom to advance faster, but you'll likely just over advance on doom since the agendas (currently) only really advance once per round. The one thing that won't really scale is the distribution in the encounter decks. It's been said in other forums, but it honestly might be more fun for folks to just split into two side by side campaigns. You can still be at the same table and watch and laugh at one campaign doing better than the other, but with 5 players you will definitely drag the game on with downtime between turns (although if you have quick players it isn't super significant).

Overall I agree that most stuff in the game does kind of scale for number of players, but because the agendas and encounter deck were designed for 1-4, there is a very good chance that you may find the scenarios very swingy. First one i imagine will be very easy with 5, second one could be tough simply because doom already can advance very quickly in that one, and third one will definitely be swingy because with 5 investigators and 5 locations, everyone can essentially occupy their own location which has a significant impact on some enemies spawning (or never spawning).

But as always, its a co-op LCG so play it how you want! And have fun laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info other Ian

Id rather have it hard anyways so if it can get very swingy that way, all the better. Big concern was 5 would make it to easy for later missions but from what you guys have said, might not be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.