GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,170 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: I just played Battle Cry! with my elder daughter (age 5) for the first time! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the thread title, I just introduced my elder daughter CT to Battle Cry. This was her first wargame ever. She liked it and wants to play again, she says.

We did the First Bull Run scenario but she insisted she wanted to be the "blue guys"; I did tell her the "grey guys" were easier to play in this one. Then she got in a hand of four cards three she couldn't really use. So she did lose. Still, she had at least a couple of my units down to the last piece in the unit. She only quit when I was three units ahead.

The best part is that she clearly had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
The little ones always surprise me at their level of intelligence. I really think playing games promotes brain development.

On Veteran's Day, I volunteered to hang out with a 6 year old who will be having surgery, sort of spend a 1/2 a day with a soldier. His mother had mentioned that he liked games and learned about Veteran's Day, so I wore my old uniform and we played some of my games that I thought he could handle. Not wargames but involving some decision making and calculations and some conflict. Two of the games we covered were Castle Panic and Unnamed Object. He could read the cards fairly well and follow the sequence of play in Castle Panic, and handled all of the dice rolling in my homemade dice tower, which he loved. With Incan Gold he had to do some basic division when we split the jewels, or counting in terms of 10, 5, and 1 point jewels. I was amazed at his dexterity and intelligence. A very rewarding experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I've been playing games with my kids, too. My older boys (8 and 7) play a bunch of great wargamey-type stuff with me, and my daughter enjoys some of the simpler Euro and card games. Mechanics are the easy part. Teaching strategy is what's hard. They just have to lose a lot.

Good luck with future games, and enjoy your time together. It's fun to raise new gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
mbmbmbmbmb
She let you win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Africa Brass v. 1 & 2
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spending time playing games with your kids is awesome. I played a ton of games with my eldest daughter when she was small. She's in her 40s now, and since I retired she's been stopping by to play games with me on a regular basis after dropping her kids at school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
My little guy is just getting ready to turn a year old and it's threads like these that make me look forward to introducing him to the world of boardgames (specifically wargames, of course!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Africa Brass v. 1 & 2
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
My little guy is just getting ready to turn a year old and it's threads like these that make me look forward to introducing him to the world of boardgames (specifically wargames, of course!)

If you're like me, I think you'll find it really doesn't matter whether it's wargames or not when the time comes. They have minds of their own, and that's as it should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
catosulla wrote:

If you're like me, I think you'll find it really doesn't matter whether it's wargames or not when the time comes. They have minds of their own, and that's as it should be.

Agreed, but I can dream, can't I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smic wrote:
The little ones always surprise me at their level of intelligence. I really think playing games promotes brain development.

On Veteran's Day, I volunteered to hang out with a 6 year old who will be having surgery, sort of spend a 1/2 a day with a soldier. His mother had mentioned that he liked games and learned about Veteran's Day, so I wore my old uniform and we played some of my games that I thought he could handle. Not wargames but involving some decision making and calculations and some conflict. Two of the games we covered were Castle Panic and Unnamed Object. He could read the cards fairly well and follow the sequence of play in Castle Panic, and handled all of the dice rolling in my homemade dice tower, which he loved. With Incan Gold he had to do some basic division when we split the jewels, or counting in terms of 10, 5, and 1 point jewels. I was amazed at his dexterity and intelligence. A very rewarding experience.

Very cool And thank you for your service thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Paquet
United States
South burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Gen Con for the first time this summer but the best thing i did all summer was play a mini campaign of Wizard Kings with my youngest daugther... When I told that to Tom Dalgliesh from Columbia Games, i think he choked up a little too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bermondsey Battler
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My 6.5 year old and i spent the last two months laying Battle Cry almost nonstop. He has a real flair for the card managment - like playing a Counterattack after i play a very good card. He beats me more than i beat him, and that's playing to win, not pulling punches. His favorite scenario is Wilsons creek/bloody hill.

We retired it temporarily this weekend to start playing Memoir 44. the great war is also in m basement awaiting play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, never pull your punches against a kid. Play your best game. Make 'em work for it, and they'll learn to be good players that much sooner. They'll learn good sportsmanship, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Man, never pull your punches against a kid. Play your best game. Make 'em work for it, and they'll learn to be good players that much sooner. They'll learn good sportsmanship, too.

I don't dumb down my play. CT does great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The figures and largehexes of Memoir 44 style games have a great appeal for kids, but I think the "gateway drug" can be dice rolling. My 2 yo grand daughter always wants to "help" me, and making her official dice roller gets her involved at a safe level. Just reading the results (2 dice) is fun. Slows it down but that's OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XT likes playing with the figures. I do have to remind her to leave them on their hexes though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.