Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ Matunis
United States
Verona
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Could be nice for anyone considering buying a Kallax:
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pdf/coupons/WK46_Coupon_Offer_I...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
sinutam wrote:
Could be nice for anyone considering buying a Kallax

a what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the shelfing system that replaced Expedit which was popular among board gamers for storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Heyman
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
sinutam wrote:

a what?

(Probably) the most popular shelf for storing board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
sinutam wrote:

a what?

Kallax: n. a type of shelf known in boardgaming circles (and vinyl collector circles) as the "perfect" shelf. It inherited this status after the death of its father Expedit. See: Billy - a pretender to the throne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Guida
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

I am jealous of all your perfectly sized games, mine is like playing tetris to get them to fill each spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice, I didn't realize they were doing drawers now. That will help with those small games. Time to pack up for a trip to Ikea, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Penny
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

What's the long unit on top offering shelter to TI3 et al?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up two 4x4s yesterday, they were down to $109 each. Didn't even know about the coupon ahead of time, the cashier kind of slid one over and said "Sir is this your coupon?" 'Why, yes, it is indeed my coupon that I brought myself and have just handed to you!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We just bought a set of these 2 weeks ago. Putting them together now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70301537/

Enticing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Targaff wrote:

That's a 1x4 Kallax with two of the shelves left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sinutam wrote:

Well that couldn't be better timing. Was hoping to see something like this as I work towards finishing up my game room and trying to save $$$ where possible as this room is happening due to a tiny human on the way and my current office/vr lab is getting booted to be a bedroom.

Still need to finish priming the drywall, putting in hardwood floor but grabbing this before the coupon expires is ok so it'll be there waiting to be assembled and maybe speed up my work. My board games are currently stacked all around the basement with no home atm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Wish I was near one. I need some glass cases!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joker9991 wrote:
sinutam wrote:

Well that couldn't be better timing. Was hoping to see something like this as I work towards finishing up my game room and trying to save $$$ where possible as this room is happening due to a tiny human on the way and my current office/vr lab is getting booted to be a bedroom.

Still need to finish priming the drywall, putting in hardwood floor but grabbing this before the coupon expires is ok so it'll be there waiting to be assembled and maybe speed up my work. My board games are currently stacked all around the basement with no home atm.

If you are handy and have the tools I consider building a set of shelves yourself. Using this stuff. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melamine-White-Drilled-Panel-Comm... I have probably built about 20 shelving units using these. You can fit probably 50% more on them than those ikea shelving units as you can adjust the shelves, it is 16" deep and you can make them up to 8ft tall.

This is how I build them. I buy 2 of those side panels and cut them to the height I want them, paying attention that they are facing the right way when you make the cut. Then cut 3 shelves to size. You can make all those cuts easily with straight edge clamped to the boards and a circular saw. If you have a table saw you can rip the next three pieces but if not buy this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Finished-Elegance-1-in-x-3-in-x-8... and cut 3 pieces to the size of the shelves. Then you just need to assemble using drywall screws. You will put the bottom shelf in 3 inches from the bottom and use that cut piece of molding as the toe kick. Just sink 3 screws on each side for the shelf and 2 screws for the toe kick. Next do the top shelf and put it at the very top with 3 screw again on each side. This time put the molding piece below it towards the wall with 2 screws in it. Also put 3 screws through the top shelf into the molding piece. Lastly repeat what you did with the top shelf and molding somewhere in the middle of the unit. Now just cut the rest of the shelves you need.

Couple of pointers.
1. you should use a countersink bit to pre-drill before you put the screws in.
2. Depending on the size of your baseboard and how you want to put them up you may want to use a wider piece for the kick plate. For me rather than cutting my baseboard when mounting the shelving units I usually use a jigsaw and cut out the bottom of the side panels so it can go over my baseboard.
3. To mount them I sink screws through the molding in the middle and top into the studs on the wall.
4. I recommend making them 24" to 32" wide to prevent any sagging. I have gone as wide at 36" and it was fine. 48" you will definitely getting sagging.
5. You can buy white things where they have the melamine shelving to cover the head of the screws.
6. Shelf pegs come in different sizes make sure you get the right size.

I don't have any pictures on my phone right now that I can attach but it is fairly easy to make them and you can make them a lot taller than units you buy from the store and make them fit your space exact. They will cost you about $85 a piece to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I used this last year. It pushed me over the edge to drive there instead of having it delivered. My wife went with me and she bought 2 and I bought 2 so we used the coupon twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, two good deals in one! I have a dedicated gaming table on it's way, but my existing shelving and 1x4 Expedit unit will clash. This might be a chance to upgrade to a couple of discounted 4x4 Kallax units and use a couple of the coupons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Penny
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:
Targaff wrote:

That's a 1x4 Kallax with two of the shelves left out.

Huh! I thought that at first but looked and looked at it and convinced myself it was too narrow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Marie
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
figures hubby and i were just at ikea last week! the extra money off would have been nice- money for more games!

we were considering the kallax, but in person the cubes looked kinda small. so instead we bought two short billys to put side by side- about 4 ft high maybe? that way we can store all our games without worrying about any potential storage issues with any larger boxes. the lower height compared to the traditional tall billy bookcases makes it perfect to displaying figures and other decor on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea, unfortunately my ability to build things lately has turned into a swearing fest and me usually just hiring someone due to projects I'm trying to wrap and sell to get a business going. Plus the serious lack of tools I don't have I do have a number of GC to various local big box hardware shops... I was going to use them to build my collar for my Keezer that's super needed, had so many issues with using Picnic taps this past year.

I'll be at Menards likely this weekend so I'll see what they have (I seriously have a Lowes, Menards and Home Depot within 5 miles of me).

Thanks for the advice though, I'll keep this in the back of my mind though.
FrankNBeans13 wrote:
joker9991 wrote:
sinutam wrote:

If you are handy and have the tools I consider building a set of shelves yourself. Using this stuff. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melamine-White-Drilled-Panel-Comm... I have probably built about 20 shelving units using these. You can fit probably 50% more on them than those ikea shelving units as you can adjust the shelves, it is 16" deep and you can make them up to 8ft tall.

This is how I build them. I buy 2 of those side panels and cut them to the height I want them, paying attention that they are facing the right way when you make the cut. Then cut 3 shelves to size. You can make all those cuts easily with straight edge clamped to the boards and a circular saw. If you have a table saw you can rip the next three pieces but if not buy this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Finished-Elegance-1-in-x-3-in-x-8... and cut 3 pieces to the size of the shelves. Then you just need to assemble using drywall screws. You will put the bottom shelf in 3 inches from the bottom and use that cut piece of molding as the toe kick. Just sink 3 screws on each side for the shelf and 2 screws for the toe kick. Next do the top shelf and put it at the very top with 3 screw again on each side. This time put the molding piece below it towards the wall with 2 screws in it. Also put 3 screws through the top shelf into the molding piece. Lastly repeat what you did with the top shelf and molding somewhere in the middle of the unit. Now just cut the rest of the shelves you need.

Couple of pointers.
1. you should use a countersink bit to pre-drill before you put the screws in.
2. Depending on the size of your baseboard and how you want to put them up you may want to use a wider piece for the kick plate. For me rather than cutting my baseboard when mounting the shelving units I usually use a jigsaw and cut out the bottom of the side panels so it can go over my baseboard.
3. To mount them I sink screws through the molding in the middle and top into the studs on the wall.
4. I recommend making them 24" to 32" wide to prevent any sagging. I have gone as wide at 36" and it was fine. 48" you will definitely getting sagging.
5. You can buy white things where they have the melamine shelving to cover the head of the screws.
6. Shelf pegs come in different sizes make sure you get the right size.

I don't have any pictures on my phone right now that I can attach but it is fairly easy to make them and you can make them a lot taller than units you buy from the store and make them fit your space exact. They will cost you about $85 a piece to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my Kallax. Best game-related purchase I ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone looking to buy one should check Craigslist, I bought a 5x5 for 50.00, go take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
msg tools
mbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:

Anyone looking to buy one should check Craigslist, I bought a 5x5 for 50.00, go take a look.

Wow you're right! I just found a listing for a free 4x4 unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paedia wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
sinutam wrote:

a what?

Kallax: n. a type of shelf known in boardgaming circles (and vinyl collector circles) as the "perfect" shelf. It inherited this status after the death of its father Expedit. See: Billy - a pretender to the throne.

I use a Billy in a closet, and it gets the job done. The Kallax is certainly better, but the best ever is the sadly discontinued "deep Billy" variant that was just a Billy with deeper construction. Much easier to handle large or oddly-sized games, and having movable shelves makes it much easier to maximize efficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.