Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Lane
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

1) Two tanks share a move command. The first moves all it's MP allowance, the second is damaged whilst moving and can't reach the first. There is an exception for tracked units that units sharing a move command need to end within command range of each other but I can't seem to find the equivalent exception for damaged units. I guess that this would be an exception?

2) Had the first tank been damaged whilst moving I assume the second would have to stop in command range of it?

3) If there were 3 tanks and the first moved all it's MPs the second was damaged and finished as in 1) above would the third have the choice of which one to end up in command range to?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't any "hidden" exception in the rules for damaged vehicles when moving. The rules specifically state that ALL vehicles sharing a move command, with the exception of tracked vehicles (which is listed in the rules) must end their movement within command range of one another.

While vehicle movement is executed individually, they are, in reality, moving at the same time. The 1st vehicle must have its movement adjusted to meet the command range requirement to the 2nd vehicle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lane
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Jim,

And how do we handle the situation in which the vehicle whose position is thus adjusted had taken overwatch fire and/or sustained damage in the hexes it now seemingly never reached?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mzen wrote:
Thanks Jim,

And how do we handle the situation in which the vehicle whose position is thus adjusted had taken overwatch fire and/or sustained damage in the hexes it now seemingly never reached?

My wife was wondering about that too.

What happens if tank #1 takes damage from Overwatch in the farthest hex, then tank #2 takes damage halfway to reaching tank #1. Would the Overwatch fire on tank #1 never have happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lane
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, it would seem that either Overwatch Commands and/or Minefields might be unnecessarily revealed if they never happened...or have an effect even though the unit never enters the hex/los/has the same facing/range etc....

I don't know if you considered something akin to 'platoon movement' in executing shared commands? If you did would you be happy to say why you came down on the side of individual movement?

Regards,

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Interesting question, I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Where there is any question, especially with the possibility of Overwatch Fire, you may certainly move a group of units sharing a command at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lane
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Jim, and that does make a lot of sense but it may be difficult for someone to reach this conclusion given that the Rulebook says in 4.5.1.1:

'Vehicles move one at a time and must complete their entire move
before the next vehicle moves.'

I can't find anywhere else in the rules that would allow an exception to this.

I don't want to be argumentative but you have said on a number of occasions that 'if it's not stated in the rules it doesn't apply' and this option is not, as far as I can see, stated. Maybe there needs to be an addition to the rules to specifically allow this 'group movement'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Section 4.5.1.1 is the official rule. I only stated the group move as a convenient alternative that players could use if they wanted to. It isn't an exception and you won't find it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lane
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks again for your response Jim, it's helpful and appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We could also apply the final paragraph of 6.5.2.2.1, which says

6.5.2.2.1 wrote:
Vehicles sharing Move or Short halt commands must maintain Command Range upon completion of their move. However, if one or more of those units receive a TK Hit preventing movement, the remaining units may move normally, leaving the tracked unit behind, as long as the those remaining units maintain Command Range upon completion of their move.

Different damage type, but same effect on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.