23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Easy to learn, but hard to master rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eser Orhan
msg tools
Hi,

i play with some group of people who are very diversified when it comes to board games. Just to make it challenging for the "experts" and accessible for the novice players, i am looking for easy to learn, but nevertheless strategic deeper games.

Any recommendations? 2p up to 6 or more is ok with me.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to be clear, your asking for games that would even the playing field?
(not typically what I think of when saying "easy to learn, hard to master" so I'm just making sure)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Splendor and Lost Cities might work. Lost Cities is only 2 player though. Neither is super deep, but they are enjoyable for seasoned and new gamers alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eser Orhan
msg tools
Thank you, that's what i rather meant, i want everyone to enjoy the game. So new players are not overwhelmed, but good ones are not bored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Galaxy Defenders or Shadowrun: Crossfire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much anything designed by Vital Lacerda (Vinhos Deluxe Edition, The Gallerist, CO₂, Kanban: Automotive Revolution, Lisboa) has simple mechanics with limited actions per player turn, so it's relatively easy to learn, but the cascading actions that result from those limited choices are significant. Make no mistake, these are DEEP games with multiple paths to victory, so they can be intimidating at first, especially when just glancing at the boards, but they are very rewarding experiences for seasoned gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think just about any co-op would work as long as the experienced gamers are able to navigate the balance of helping the new folks out without making their decisions for them. They're going to need to be willing to openly discuss things and at the same time be willing to let people make mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find a lot of Splotter games are easy to learn but hard to master.
Roads and Boats, Indonesia, UR: 1830 BC, Fast Food Chain Magnate, are all simple small rule books that pack a punch in the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
I think Splendor and Lost Cities might work. Lost Cities is only 2 player though. Neither is super deep, but they are enjoyable for seasoned and new gamers alike.

I would disagree that they are enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When looking for a game like this I look for games on the lighter side and that the game is more about tactics than strategy.

Revolution! - most of what you need to know is right on the little betting mat and shield. This is the big winner for my serious gamers and light gamers. More about predicting the players than knowing the game.
Small World - might work too though better players are reworded for better decline planning
Saboteur - might be too light but still worth checking out
Tales of the Arabian Nights - a very random game. feels to me more like a social activity vs a competitive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Splendor
Lost Cities (2 players only)
are both great.

Also:
Codenames
Taluva
Chicago Express (this may be pushing it)
Paris Connection
Condottiere
Gemblo
Stockpile
Favor of the Pharaoh

Disagree:
Quote:
Pretty much anything designed by Vital Lacerda (Vinhos Deluxe Edition, The Gallerist, CO₂, Kanban: Automotive Revolution, Lisboa) has simple mechanics with limited actions per player turn, so it's relatively easy to learn, but the cascading actions that result from those limited choices are significant. Make no mistake, these are DEEP games with multiple paths to victory, so they can be intimidating at first, especially when just glancing at the boards, but they are very rewarding experiences for seasoned gamers.

Quote:
Roads and Boats, Indonesia, UR: 1830 BC, Fast Food Chain Magnate, are all simple small rule books that pack a punch in the gameplay.

NO! Splotter and Lacerda's games are not for beginners! I'm interpreting the original post as "something for beginners, but also keeps experienced gamers engaged".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eser Orhan
msg tools
Thanks a lot, there are some in this list which were not on my radar.
I will have a deeper look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I might suggest looking at some of Stefan Feld's games. His games tend to have a higher level of randomness, which is generally going to help level the playing field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:

Disagree:
Quote:

Quote:

NO! Splotter and Lacerda's games are not for beginners! I'm interpreting the original post as "something for beginners, but also keeps experienced gamers engaged".

I agree with the negative sentiment. Vital Lacerda and Splotter's games are not for novice.

My suggestion for games easy to learn but still engaging to veterans:
Galaxy Trucker
The Voyages of Marco Polo
Mechs vs. Minions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
Splendor
are both great.

Also:
Codenames
Taluva
Paris Connection
Condottiere
Gemblo
Stockpile
Favor of the Pharaoh

Disagree:
Quote:

Quote:

Some of the first games people played in our group where games by Martin Wallace. I know we like to think new gamers are stupid, but not everyone needs to have their hand held. Simple to learn but hard to master? Well, none of the games people have mentioned are hard to master, and really do not interest people who enjoy playing deeper games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Ciscato
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
adamredwoods wrote:
Splendor
are both great.

Also:
Codenames
Taluva
Paris Connection
Condottiere
Gemblo
Stockpile
Favor of the Pharaoh

Disagree:
Quote:

Quote:

Some of the first games people played in our group where games by Martin Wallace. I know we like to think new gamers are stupid, but not everyone needs to have their hand held. Simple to learn but hard to master? Well, none of the games people have mentioned are hard to master, and really do not interest people who enjoy playing deeper games.

...and several aren‘t easy to learn, especially for new players.
My recommendation would be King Chocolate, an almost unknown gem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is not a gamer at all. She has learnt and enjoys Merchants and Marauders, Clash of Cultures, Roads and Boats, etc.

Clash of Cultures was the second board game I thought her. Stop cutting people short. Just because not everyone would be willing to learn a tougher game does not mean they are not capable of learning them, and I have found actually quite enjoy being treated the same as the other people at the table.

If people were trying to introduce me to the board game world with fluffy party games there is no way I would have stuck around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Mabuchi wrote:
My wife is not a gamer at all. She has learnt and enjoys Merchants and Marauders, Clash of Cultures, Roads and Boats, etc.

Clash of Cultures was the second board game I thought her. Stop cutting people short. Just because not everyone would be willing to learn a tougher game does not mean they are not capable of learning them, and I have found actually quite enjoy being treated the same as the other people at the table.

If people were trying to introduce me to the board game world with fluffy party games there is no way I would have stuck around.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not Concordia? Easy rules but challenging play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mogul
Medici
Imhotep
Quadropolis
Chicago Express
Paris Connection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell Beitzel
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I realize this may be obvious just not what the OP was thinking.

But...

Go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twixt Very easy to grasp rules, but hard to master. Amazingly deep 2p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.