Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy (a lot) playing Flashpoint: Fire Rescue but the Mrs is not too keen. I have heard a lot of good points about Pandemic so I am on a quest to get a copy.

But before I do, there seems to be a lot of different games and I wanted to find out what is the best version to buy.

We not completionists so it will either end up being the base game and at most probably one or two expansions. The Mrs is not an avid gamer and will only play occasionally (and not much a Chluthu fan).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 984721. pugmaster
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:57 pm
Code Red
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pandemic base game is good. If you are only going to get one expansion I'd recommend On the Brink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
CTP_9 wrote:
The Pandemic base game is good. If you are only going to get one expansion I'd recommend On the Brink.

Truth. On The Brink gives you two new modules to up the difficulty, new roles, new events, and a 1 vs many variant if you are into that sort of thing. By and large, On the Brink adds small tweaks and lots of extra content. If you like Pandemic (try it on the iPad if you have that at your disposal), On the Brink brings more that same goodness.

The in the lab expansion is the only other one that I have played. It is a great expansion, but it drastically changes the game play. It ups the complexity and puzzle factor. I recommended it for Pandemic fanatics who feel like they have played out the base game / base game + OtB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
CTP_9 wrote:

Truth. On The Brink gives you two new modules to up the difficulty, new roles, new events, and a 1 vs many variant if you are into that sort of thing. By and large, On the Brink adds small tweaks and lots of extra content. If you like Pandemic (try it on the iPad if you have that at your disposal), On the Brink brings more that same goodness.

The in the lab expansion is the only other one that I have played. It is a great expansion, but it drastically changes the game play. It ups the complexity and puzzle factor. I recommended it for Pandemic fanatics who feel like they have played out the base game / base game + OtB.

That's great thanks for the concise information - I didn't really see the difference so I will take a look for the base game + OTB. I will definitely go get the app and give it a try and see how it goes, it will at least help me learn and teach the game quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:

As others have said this really is the way to go: Pandemic + Pandemic: On the Brink

I would avoid Pandemic: In the Lab. It really is for your more hardcore audience (lots of rules and a really significant change in the game - very high fiddly factor). I really like in the lab, but it is not for everyone, just your dedicated pandemic crowd.

If sometime down the road you find you want more get Pandemic: State of Emergency. It is similar to On the Brink in that the expansion content is much more modular, gives you a lot more roles and events and provides some additional challenges if you choose to use them.

Pandemic the cure (the dice game version of pandemic) is cool; it feels different than pandemic and yet still feels like pandemic...but I would go with Pandemic + OtB to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few games where I suggest that people go ahead & buy an expansion with the game without trying the game first. However, I almost always recommend getting On the Brink right away. It adds a ton of extra characters & a fifth player option right away, & you'll want to play with those extra characters every time for the rest of your life.

On the Brink also contains 3 different playing modes:

Virulent Strain
Mutation (I think that's what the one with the purple disease is called)
Bio-Terrorist (1 player v. rest of the party)

Virulent Strain & Mutation are both excellent additional game modes. I/my group aren't interested in the Bio-Terrorist thing, because we come to Pandemic to play pure co-op.

However, even just playing normal rules plus the extra characters is enough to keep you busy for a very long time. Highly recommended.

(just to address the other expansions: I have In the Lab & I like it a lot, but it makes the game very different...you can definitely hold off for a while or forever on that. The State of Emergency box didn't really appeal to me, so I haven't picked it up yet. So I can offer no intelligent opinion about it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superman829 wrote:
There are very few games where I suggest that people go ahead & buy an expansion with the game without trying the game first. However, I almost always recommend getting On the Brink right away. It adds a ton of extra characters & a fifth player option right away, & you'll want to play with those extra characters every time for the rest of your life.

On the Brink also contains 3 different playing modes:

Virulent Strain
Mutation (I think that's what the one with the purple disease is called)
Bio-Terrorist (1 player v. rest of the party)

Virulent Strain & Mutation are both excellent additional game modes. I/my group aren't interested in the Bio-Terrorist thing, because we come to Pandemic to play pure co-op.

However, even just playing normal rules plus the extra characters is enough to keep you busy for a very long time. Highly recommended.

(just to address the other expansions: I have In the Lab & I like it a lot, but it makes the game very different...you can definitely hold off for a while or forever on that. The State of Emergency box didn't really appeal to me, so I haven't picked it up yet. So I can offer no intelligent opinion about it)

Thanks for the insight everyone - I never heard of the bio-terrorist role and I think we would enjoy it as we love a little competitiveness occasionally. I am just waiting for pay day and then I will get the App and have few games to get a feel for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thankful that Iberia is coming out, as my wife won't play base Pandemic because of the theme. It's too stressful for her. And Cthulhu has no appeal for most in my gaming groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your Mrs doesn't play much then this is a great game. I play it solo and it's excellent. Can't wait to get the OTB expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.