Subject: Sentimental Attachments... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a fun read for some so here it goes.

Do you have that one special game? The one that may not be the best in your collection but you feel such a strong bond with it that it will stay on the shelf until you pass our collection on to your grand kids? If so what is the game and what is the story behind its sentimental value?

I will start with my copy of Kingsburg. I was on a family vacation that did not turn out to be one of the better vacations we had ever taken. On the drive back to Missouri we broke the long car ride up by stopping at any place, in any town along the way that anyone in the car felt looked interesting. Going through a small town in Arkansas (population less then 800) I took a chance on a tiny store that just had a hand written sign that said games. I went in and although the selection was small (as to be expected) they did have a few modern board games. Looking around I saw on a shelf a sun bleached, mistreated copy of Kingsburg and just looking at the condition of the game gave me the same feeling as watching one of those sad adopt an abused pet commercials and I felt I just had to rescue this game from any more abuse. I paid full retail price for the game as the owner of the store could have cared less about making a sale for the day and since then Kingsburg (although it doesn't hit the table that often) has had a special and permanent place on my gaming shelf.

So lets hear some stories about the games you just can't get rid of and reasons why
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)

I will always love this game (my first board game crush) but rarely talk about it, I didn't know it wasn't looked on favorably until I came here to BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mentioned this story in a couple of previous fora. I apologize if you're reading it for the second time.

My husband and I played backgammon very often and kept a running total of wins. For plain backgammon our scores were 5148 to 4836. And for variations such as Acey Deucey and "leap upon your body" (I think this may be Plakoto) our scores were 814 to 711.

Keep in mind that the majority of backgammon games end with a score of just one point, so we must have played the game close to 10,000 times.

My husband died 21 years ago, but the game is still important to me, and I still have the last sheet of paper with our scores on it sitting in the backgammon box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of sentimental attachments among board games, but the strongest feelings probably come from my 1st edition D&D books. So many good times were had just sitting around with friends and telling amazing stories together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

I will always love this game (my first board game crush) but rarely talk about it, I didn't know it wasn't looked on favorably until I came here to BGG.

People can knock it all they want, it's been printed and reprinted since the 80's so it's staying power speaks for itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

I have a Talisman story of my own that seems tailor made for this thread. I posted it back in 2005, so I imagine it will be new to many: Stranger New Worlds

(It wasn't as common as it is now to link pictures in articles back then; at a later date I put some in a follow-up post that you can see if you scroll down that page)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Epic Duels

I've had this since it first came out, it was given to me as a present by my parents. I have many memories of teaming up with a friend as we "played" the bad guys, often having them do the worst possible thing for them to make it that much sweeter on our turns. I can't remember the last time I played, and I didn't play it much then.

The higher going prices can be tempting, especially since my copy is complete and looks good for being 14 years old. I'm hoping to get more enjoyment out of it yet, and I just don't have the heart to get rid of a game that may have led me to this great hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sentimental attachment to my 2nd edition copy of Talisman and my old copy of HeroQuest. Both of which I've kept around from my childhood.

For more recent games I think those I've played with my girlfriend. She isn't heavily into games and we don't play often but there are a few we've enjoyed. She gave me a copy of Viticulture Essential Edition last year for Christmas which was cool. I kept the "To/From" label from the present and it's in the box. She really likes Viticulture which makes it a more awesome present.

She recently gave me Tuscany Essential Edition. Originally she had pre-ordered it as a Christmas present but she decided to give it to be as a "just because" gift, when it arrived, so we could play it sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I inherited my parent's copy of Yahtzee - one of the 1960's versions with the cardboard cup and the little wizard looking man on it. It's also the one that they played when they were dating. What makes it particularly special is that they recorded a running tally of the wins and losses on the underside of the box lid with my mother's maiden name, and it even includes their scores for "The World Series of Yahtzee". Kind of a neat bit of nostalgia.

I loved playing it as a kid, and they gave it to me back when I showed a really strong interest in board games -- they have some, but are mostly conventional games. At one point I had a girlfriend who really enjoyed playing Yahtzee (and some other board games) with me, and at one point she suggested that we also record our scores in the box lid. I never told her this (and I doubt she's on BGG, so whatever) but my almost immediate reluctance to add her name as a permanent addition to that box lid was somewhat startling to me and was part of what helped me determine that she wasn't "the one". (For the record, I wasn't rude about it, I just gently changed the subject at the time without showing any outward horror, suggested a different activity, and never suggested Yahtzee again with her. I don't think anything ever crossed her mind about it)

Sadly, while my wife does in fact really enjoy board games (including Yahtzee!) we never got around to recording her name in there before we were married. So perhaps it'll skip a generation and I'll give to my daughter or son (although daughter already clearly loves games, we'll see about son). It already served me well in dodging a potential bullet, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two games would be my copies of Wiz-War and Betrayal at House on the Hill.

I got Betrayal after visiting a game store and trading in a foil brainstorm (MtG card) and a few other mildly expensive MtG cards for store credit. I was there to pick up some land base for a Storm deck, but my eye was quickly caught on the game shelves.

I came across Betrayal (my only experience in board games at this point was Pandemic) and the guy behind the counter perked up and said, "That game is a lot of fun, it starts out as a Co-Op and then half way through about, someone betray's everyone else and they have to then play against them." It was all wrapped up in a cheesy 80s horror theme which I greatly enjoy. I was sold nearly instantly, so I picked up that game and a few dollar cards I was looking at for an EDH deck.

Much further down the line in my BGG experience I had discoverd Wiz-War. Since acquiring it (was a gift from a friend), I now own both expansions, all the miniatures are painted, and I have a cool wooden insert to store all the pieces. It's brought a ton of fun and is probably my most played game in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

Sadly, while my wife does in fact really enjoy board games (including Yahtzee!) we never got around to recording her name in there before we were married. So perhaps it'll skip a generation and I'll give to my daughter or son (although daughter already clearly loves games, we'll see about son). It already served me well in dodging a potential bullet, so...

I'm at this point too, I never recorded my name in the box of my games before I got married, but I think I'm going to start, no matter who I'm playing with.

I was always against this as I'm a little OCD about keeping everything in top condition. but this sort of "record keeping" would be awesome to look back on in 30 years or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got an old copy of Pictionary that has so much tape on the box you can hardly tell what game is in there.

Here's the bad part. I have a NEWER copy of pictionary. ...I'm still keeping the old.

Too many memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Donna Gust
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom bought me copies of Carcassonne: The City and Carcassonne: The Castle as gifts in the summer of 2007. She died this past August. I don't ever see myself getting rid of either copy of those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you all for sharing your stories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine has to be The Great Game of Britain it was the game that the kids always loved playing and always ended up them against me, kids united in a common cause was always good to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Don't worry too much about what the internet thinks. You can find people that hate anything if you look long enough.

Talisman is one of my personal faves, too. And HeroQuest. Despite not being much compared to more recent games, they still have a glorious simplicity about them which I find both refreshing and entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest is still sitting In a large plastic box in the loft.unfortunately the original box has just fallen away with continuous usage and sits under the game components in the box.
We played this game all the time as a family and even though dad passed away and we rarely meet up due to travelling I have kept the individual heroes stories,given names and upgraded stats from many adventuring groups we used.

The last two visits from my brother both involved a quick Standard level one game.

Over the years we added some citadel miniatures for the monsters at higher levels and some champion models.members of the family bought alternative hero figures too. This resulted in a mad multiplayer game with five trollslayers.
I froze in time a level 7 chaos warrior who was the best fun but would have most likely been taken be Chaos when training up to level 8 so retirement seemed best.
The missus and kids have played two games with me and they were still awesome but will have to invest in a games table as set up is mammoth and we would like to come back to it every now and then. nowadays the D&D dungeon crawls are much easier to get started and my friends and the kids prefer these less complicated lower maintenance games.

Around the time we played this originally my friend used to bring Talisman round and I can relate to the love for this game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMK
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
May neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, The angels protect you, and heaven accept you.
badge
May your troubles be less, and your blessing be more. And nothing but happiness, come through your door.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters

My wife and I met on October 6th, 2010 playing a game of shadow hunters. We were both on the same team, but she hadn't figured it out yet and killed me thinking I was her enemy. She went on to kill all the hunters, so we won anyway.

A few months later we bought the copy from the previous owner, so we now own the exact copy of the game we met playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.