Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
The other night Kieran and I were playing with her alphabet flash cards in the living room. She'd hold one up, I'd ask her what letter it was, etc.

Well, we got to one letter, she looked at it, and I asked her "What letter is that?"

"I'll go find out." she replied, then ran from the room.

A minute later she returned, carrying her LeapPad alphabet thing.

She sat down, turns it on, slid the lever into a particular mode, then scanned the buttons on the LeapPad. Then, she pushed one.

The LeapPad said "H. This is how you draw the letter H."

She looked up at me, smiling. My jaw dropped.

My four-year-old daughter was presented with a question she did not know the answer to. She then independently thought of, and used, an unrelated tool for research.

I...I don't know whether I'm more proud or frightened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I showed my six year old son that video that Sininster Dexter posted yesterday where the lions took down a water buffalo baby, fought with a crocodile over it, and in the end got their butts handed to them by the returning herd of buffalos, allowing the baby to escape.

My son said, "It's civil war."

I'm mostly frightened by that one.

The post:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1511935#1511935
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course when my son was 5 my wife asked what he wanted for Christmas. His reply was "Money & balls, mom. Money & balls"

I guess your kids are more amazing than mine.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
okiedokie wrote:
Of course when my son was 5 my wife asked what he wanted for Christmas. His reply was "Money & balls, mom. Money & balls"

sounds like your five year old will make a great lawyer, businessman or realestate agent with those sort of answers at such a young age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, presuming he was tallking about footballs...I guess its fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Her actions demonstrate creativity, resourcefulness, and critical thinking. Well done, Kieran (and Jon)!

Not long ago I was playing Mystery of the Abbey (MotA) with three of my children (9yo, 12yo, 15yo). These days they would rather play video games than board games (sniff...), so it's always gratifying whenever I can get them to play board games with me, no matter the circumstances. As you probably know, in MotA you are trying to deduce which monk has committed the murder, and so it is prudent to take notes as the game is progressing. My 15yo decided to eschew pen and paper and opted to take his notes on his Nintendo DS. My 9yo initially struggled to keep up with the note-taking, but soon switched on her Nintendo DS, and started giggling. She felt so proud of herself because she no longer had to take notes, as she was able to view the notes written by my 15yo! Ain't technology grand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

sounds like your five year old will make a great lawyer, businessman or realestate agent with those sort of answers at such a young age.

Actually he went on to be a National Merit Scholar and is now head of a video production department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
okiedokie wrote:
jamesdavis wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Actually he went on to be a National Merit Scholar and is now head of a video production department.

As an amazing coincidence, I too was a National Merit Scholar, buy my undoing was asking for a video production department for Xmas, so now I'm heavily into Money and Balls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll remember that at BGG.con this year. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
She then independently thought of, and used, an unrelated tool for research.

That's not always a good thing. I once used a flaming ocelot dipped in tar-tar sauce to explain to my wife why the checkbook didn't balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, now that is a story I've GOT to hear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls