Subject: What's After Return of the Jedi? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Jabba's Realm hasn't even come out, and this topic keeps on popping up as people speculate about what's next...but here's another one!

I've heard many people suggest the next small box expansion will be an Endor expansion, and I completely agree.

For the most part, we've been following episodes 4, 5, and 6 of the original trilogy. Yeah Nexus, Grand Inquisitor, etc. throw a bit of a wrench into the mix, but overall we're following the original trilogy.

But what's next? Force Awakens? Rogue One? Episodes 1-3? And how will we see it? New core box? Small box and big box expansions with more waves?

Personally, I think we'll see episodes 1-3 play out. The real question is how will that begin? Will they release a new core box? Will everything be completely compatible? Will it come with all new conditions, equipment, etc? Will people even buy a new core box that "re-starts" the whole game?

Why jump into Force Awakens, Rebels, or Rogue One when you can release games like Star Wars Destiny in the mean time and get to those years from now with Imperial Assault! Doesn't make business sense to jump the gun on the more recent films/series when you have a fully fleshed out episode 1, 2, and 3 just sitting there.

Business licenses could continue to be an issue, but maybe not?

Anyway, enough rambling. What you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone that doesn't want to play as the Grand Gungan Army is a sith and not to be trusted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneurin Kennerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebels/rogue 1 stuff...

Also is the tumour mill still churning on a new skirmish based system? Get the measuring tapes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait..., there are episodes 1-3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quigman wrote:
Will people even buy a new core box that "re-starts" the whole game?

Why not? The difference is really only a few dice and tokens, the bulk is new models and tiles. There was no significant reason (other than cost) for any of the big box expansions to not be full games, they would just have to make sure none of the missions involved stuff you needed to already have in the core set - and it would have been a little more expensive to add the required core stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would wager Rogue One is next, since it lets FFG stick to the current timeline a bit more.

I'd love to see rebels, but there are too many problems with such a release that I don't see it as being feasible:
1) There are so many named characters required to do this expansion justice that FFG would need multiple expansions to release them all.
2) There aren't many generic characters unique to the rebels world, so non-character ally/villain packs wouldn't be particularly flavorful.
3) Other than Lothal, there aren't many notable unique terrains that could be used for map tiles, and even Lothal would be tough to implement: The cities are very similar to Tattooine, and the mountains outskirts would be tough to capture on a 2D tile.
4) The Grand Inquistor has already been released as a standalone. I would imagine they would want him for the core mission storyline since he was the big bad of the first season, and while it would be possible for them to utilize an already released character for a new campaign, it would be unprecedented.

I'd also love to see Prequel and New Trilogy stuff released eventually, though I'd expect the rollout to be complicated. If they tried to do a new timeline as an expansion, thematic integrity would preclude using figures from the core box in the story mission- i.e, it wouldn't make sense for Royal Guards or Rebel Troopers to show up in a Prequel mission. This would mean that the FFG would be limited to only using figures that came in that box, which implies that they would have to release a new core set for each trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, and I know this will be viewed as blasphemous, I wouldn't mind if they just stopped releasing things at the original trilogy. Or maybe more original content. I would not pay for a core box for the prequel trilogy unless it was amazing and the wait for the new trilogy could be a while.

Besides, there's a ton of content for Descent which I would like to play at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Christmas special, Chewie's family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disney is treating the prequels the same as they're treating Song of the South. They don't exist...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
cornixt wrote:
There was no significant reason (other than cost) for any of the big box expansions to not be full games, they would just have to make sure none of the missions involved stuff you needed to already have in the core set - and it would have been a little more expensive to add the required core stuff.

Well, I think the cost is a little bit more than your letting on. How many missions came in RtH vs the Core. I think it's 17 in RtH and 29 or 30 in the Core? I never really counted. They would either need to take on new staff to handle the new workload or miss deadlines. And that's for a game that will come with the price of a full game that fewer people would be willing to pay.

Think about it, (for the sake of example I'll use MSRP for the dollar amounts): They could offer you a $60 expansion for a game you own, or a $100 full game which includes some of the components you already have.

That said. If they want to create a new core to do a timeline shift it would make sense. Across all their Star Wars properties FFG really hasn't touched the prequel timeline much though. I had read somewhere that they weren't going to either, and anytime they have it was something that had some level of presence during the Galactic Civil War period to use as an excuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously doubt we'll see prequel stuff. How many Star Wars games does FFG produce now? Like, maybe a dozen if you count each RPG separately? And none of them focus on Prequel-era stuff, to my knowledge. For that matter, how much stuff coming out of Disney/Marvel/Hasbro focuses on the Prequel era? Pretty much nothing.

I think a Rogue One or Rebels expansion would be very plausible. It's essentially the same era as the original trilogy. The Empire characters are pretty much the same. There are plenty of "boss" characters to choose from - Inquisitor, Kallus, Thrawn, Krennic, even a new Vader.

A Resistance/First Order set is probably the best bet for a new core box since it's essentially all new characters on both sides. The Force Awakens was a huge success, and there are 2 more movies in that storyline to be released. FFG has already released content from that era into several of its games. So, I think this will eventually happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Disney is treating the prequels the same as they're treating Song of the South. They don't exist...

-shnar

Not really. Star Wars rebels has kept strong ties to Clone Wars and the prequels. They also have some Lego shows which still have many references to the prequels.

They still exist, but their story is "done" and they are moving elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
I seriously doubt we'll see prequel stuff. How many Star Wars games does FFG produce now? Like, maybe a dozen if you count each RPG separately? And none of them focus on Prequel-era stuff, to my knowledge. For that matter, how much stuff coming out of Disney/Marvel/Hasbro focuses on the Prequel era? Pretty much nothing.

I think a Rogue One or Rebels expansion would be very plausible. It's essentially the same era as the original trilogy. The Empire characters are pretty much the same. There are plenty of "boss" characters to choose from - Inquisitor, Kallus, Thrawn, Krennic, even a new Vader.

A Resistance/First Order set is probably the best bet for a new core box since it's essentially all new characters on both sides. The Force Awakens was a huge success, and there are 2 more movies in that storyline to be released. FFG has already released content from that era into several of its games. So, I think this will eventually happen.

A "Rebels" pack would make an easy choice. The Ghost's crew is already a diverse group of heroes that are a perfect match for a campaign against an inquisitor or two... with the occasional Vader appearance. Rex and Ashoka as the occasional ally during missions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Rebels is basically out of the picture as the show basically mirrors Imperial Assault in that a group of heroes fights the Imperials.

Rogue one is possible, and being a one off movie and tying into the original trilogy so well it could easily be its own big box expansion.

Force Awakens is also plausible but would more than likely require a new core box for all new first order figures.

I think it most likely that a big box expansion will come out for episode 1 next and follow a Hoth type of model. Snowtroopers=droids, wampas=destroyer droids, hks=gungans, tank=random vehicle, or something similar.

Keep in mind the missions with IA are not the movies and are happening on the sidelines, in between films, in the background, etc. It is possible to explore the worlds/timelines of episodes 1-3 without diving too much into Jar-Jar or "Hay-don't-act-again" Christenson territory...

The stories of episodes 1-3 are actually really well thought out...I wouldn't write off the stories based on the movies, to say nothing of how easy it could then progress into clone wars territory.

And don't forget we already have a Nexu!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb

As others have already expressed, there is still plenty of material in the Rebellion era, including Rogue One and Rebels. Plus there is a good deal of stuff in the Legends version of the universe that fit this time period. However, the longer this iteration of the game goes, I would think the audience for expansions dwindles, due in part to the smaller audiences for the less widely known source material. Still, I think this game has at least one more big box (after Jabba's Realm) and two more small box expansions, taking us to mid 2018.

Any version of this game set in the Prequel era or the Sequel (?) era would of necessity have a different title because the Empire is not involved in either period.

Letting my imagination run, I can see a few possibilities in the long term.

One is a skirmish only Clone Wars series. Still not likely, as others have noted a general lack of Prequel material coming out of FFG.

Another is the previously mentioned First Order version (First Order Assault ?), which would start out with a new base set and follow the model established by Imperial Assault.

A third possibility is a slow transition into the Legends New Republic era. There is a huge library of material here, but as with other Legends stories, the audience is more limited in compared to the core movie trilogy.

Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see how things progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Not really. Star Wars rebels has kept strong ties to Clone Wars and the prequels. They also have some Lego shows which still have many references to the prequels.

They still exist, but their story is "done" and they are moving elsewhere.

Lego also continues to release prequel sets, with 2016 having a large scale Clone Turbo Tank, Obi-Wan's starfighter, and a spider droid, and there will be sets based on Anakin becoming Darth Vader, Yoda's Starfighter, and the Battle of the Fates coming next year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
A "Rebels" pack would make an easy choice. The Ghost's crew is already a diverse group of heroes that are a perfect match for a campaign against an inquisitor or two... with the occasional Vader appearance. Rex and Ashoka as the occasional ally during missions...

Except Imperial Assault has gone out of its way to create it's own storyline and characters and tries not to lean to heavily on the existing canon, outside of cameo appearances. Building a campaign around the crew of the Ghost would go against this philosophy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quigman wrote:
...hks=gungans...

I think you're giving gungans too much credit. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
quigman wrote:
...hks=gungans...

I think you're giving gungans too much credit. laugh

No way, they could have a trait called "dumb luck - instead of rolling dice, you put them face up with the results you want."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Star Wars Christmas special, Chewie's family.
this times infinity... the merc faction could get those holographic dancers, and there were a few stormtroopers without helmets so there's some uniques...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd love for some Rogue One love, but I think Rebels is far more likely, as R1 will be a year old by that point, and New Trilogy would likely require a new core box.

I just don't see the prequels being all that likely. Look at other FFG stuff, like X-Wing and Armada. Sure, there are a few prequel stuff in their products (like ARC-170), but they've never been the focus.

On the other hand, Rebels seems very popular in those games right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Elder Predator
mbmbmb
I wouldn't mind to have a box with Imperial Heroes to play a special campaign against a Rebel (master) Player - as seen in the latest issues of Star Wars comic books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gideon Stargrave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevancorrea wrote:
I wouldn't mind to have a box with Imperial Heroes to play a special campaign against a Rebel (master) Player - as seen in the latest issues of Star Wars comic books.

Yes, this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree with the other thoughts that it will be related to Rebels. I think they will wait a little bit before going into The Force Awakens or R1.

However, I also really like the idea others are posting about imperials playing as the heroes with a rebel master player. That sounds like a ton of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They could do a ton with the expanded universe. Shadows of the empire? Dash rendar? Kyle Katarn (gunslinger... Pre beard and pre jedi )

The expanded universe helped make classic swm what it is. 10 factions, cade skywalker, tons of sith, vong, mandalorians, old republic, etc. I know disney fethed up the expanded universe, but it still exists in books, games, minis, figures, etc.

The force awakens, sigh, I guess would be good. However I don't need to be reminded of prepubesent teens throwing fits while playing a mini game (yes, I'm speaking of the two cousins that ruined the movie).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.