David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CRUSADE AND REVOLUTION. THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR, 1936-1939
A FEW THINGS THAT WERE NOT EXPLAINED (MORE DESIGNER’S NOTES)

11.2.6 Sierra of Madrid

Why is there an additional one column shift left when attacking into or out of these mountain spaces?

The Sierra of Madrid was the scenery of fierce combats in the first days of war, when the rebels tried to advance towards the capital from the north. They were stopped and the line stabilized, turning into a “forgotten front” –that is, a zone with nearly no activity- until the end of war (the only exception was the failed Republican offensive towards Segovia in May-June 1937).
The peculiarities of terrain and the solid positions in both sides made any attack very difficult and cancelled any possible surprise; that is the reason for the additional penalty to attacks into and from the Sierra of Madrid.

12.1.7.1 y 13.1.4.2 Republican ports in the Atlantic coast.

Why cannot the Republican Player use Atlantic ports for Strategic Redeployment or for tracing Supply Line?

Those ports were blockaded by the rebel navy since the first days of war. The blockade was never complete, but it made very difficult –and more and more- the Republican merchant trade.
In September 1936 the Republican navy moved to the Atlantic, but once there –due to several reasons- it did not make any important action. The Nationalist navy made good use of the opportunity to take control of the Strait of Gibraltar, causing the return of the enemy fleet to the Mediterranean in October, thus cancelling any option of avoiding the blockade of the Atlantic coast. It is worth to mention that the British navy occasionally intervened to allow the pass of merchant ships to Republican Atlantic ports, but never tried to prevent the blockade.
Trying to recreate with more details the circumstances of the blockade of the Atlantic coast would have supposed adding rules and exceptions (and even “what ifs”). I opted for avoiding complications and establishing simple rules that generally reflect what happened.

13.1.5 Asturian Division-sized Units

Why Out of Supply Asturian Division-sized Units located in Asturias are not eliminated in the Attrition Phase?

Asturias was the region of the Northern Front where the fighting spirit and resistance of Republican militias was higher. That is why there are proportionally more Asturian units than Santander and Basque ones.
The aggressiveness of Asturians went on even after the fall of Gijón (the last Republican redoubt in the Northern Front), creating guerrillas that had to be fought by Nationalist troops and needed several months to be neutralized. Out of Supply Asturian Division-sized Units located in Asturias are not eliminated to reflect that guerrilla activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Moreau
France
Rennes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for these new notes.
And thank you very much for your involvement in Crusade and Revolution, even a few years after it was released.
I haven't played it yet but the Rules and the Playbook seem to me a model (to be followed).

I should start my first (PBEM) game in a few days and I'm quite sure it's going to be a great wargaming experience.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
André,

Merci pour vos aimables paroles!

I dedicated a lot of work and illusion to the game -with the help of many people-, and especially to the playbook, so I truly appreciate your comment. I expect that you will like it! Best,

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.