jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey,

Which expansions are must haves and why? Which ones are meh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play five, then the five player expansion is obviously a must. I don't have any of them, but I hear that Mystics is better than Gods. FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gods of Asgard isn't worth it, to me. I think it complicates the game kind of unnecessarily.

Mystics is pretty decent, as it adds a few more options for players.

5th player expansion is necessary if you want to play with another person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None are a must, but Mystics is definitely they way to go. I never play without them. They provide an interesting option for players and easy to implement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any of the expansions, and don't feel the game has anything missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystics bring a way to stop someone locking up a province (among other things), and I always use them. I never used Gods in any game yet. Five players is alright but four is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Mystics bring a way to stop someone locking up a province (among other things), and I always use them. I never used Gods in any game yet. Five players is alright but four is better.

I'd pick the mystics too.

But the core game is really great already. The mystics don't really add that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm kinda surprised by the answers.

This has me leaning towards just getting the 5th player one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perferct timing! I just noticed that CoolStuff got the expansions back in stock so I came here to see if there were any thoughts about which ones were worth it. I guess I'll give some serious thought to Mystics.

Just wondering, but is the game considerably better or worse with 5 players? I feel like 4 is plenty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
teacherboy wrote:
Just wondering, but is the game considerably better or worse with 5 players? I feel like 4 is plenty.

The game scales incredibly well at all player counts. 2 player plays very different but still a solid game. 3 and 4 are most similar, with 5 player being a bit more chaotic, but still a great balanced* game. If you have 5 players on occasion, I would always recommend picking up the 5 player expansion.

*With experienced players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Five player is a no-brainer if you want to play with 5.

I have always used Mystics. It is easy to add and I think does not overly complicate things too much. None of the new people that I have taught this game to had a problem figuring them out.

Still haven't played with Gods of Asgard. I want to, but every time I have played there have been new people and no one seems to want the extra complexity.

(I think next game I will try introducing one God in Age 2, and a second in Age 3. I feel this should give new players time to get used to the idea)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
teacherboy wrote:
Perferct timing! I just noticed that CoolStuff got the expansions back in stock so I came here to see if there were any thoughts about which ones were worth it. I guess I'll give some serious thought to Mystics.

exactly why I ended up here too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vander Velden
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystics would have my vote too. I have never played without them and would miss them if they weren't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to get them all while they are all available. Who knows how long that will remain true? My wallet hates me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nix342 wrote:
I'm tempted to get them all while they are all available. Who knows how long that will remain true? My wallet hates me.

That's one of the two directions I'm leaning. I'm like..."well Gods is only $16, but it's never going to get played, but it's only $16, but it's a waste of money, BUT I have that cool broken token insert with all that open space to fill, BUT IT'S NEVER GOING TO GET PLAYED, but cool minis and I'm selling a game to Nick this weekend so I have the extra cash, BUt your probably going to spend most of that cash on dinner... argh!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
nix342 wrote:

That's one of the two directions I'm leaning. I'm like..."well Gods is only $16, but it's never going to get played, but it's only $16, but it's a waste of money, BUT I have that cool broken token insert with all that open space to fill, BUT IT'S NEVER GOING TO GET PLAYED, but cool minis and I'm selling a game to Nick this weekend so I have the extra cash, BUt your probably going to spend most of that cash on dinner... argh!!

I know the feeling...I've been really feeling the burn for not picking up the Clash of Cultures: Civilizations expansion when it was available, and now it goes for ridiculous amounts. I don't want to get burned again!

...and good news on dinner...as long as Roche Bros. has fresh turkeys today, we'll be having hot turkey sandwiches for dinner tomorrow night. So, that cash can go directly to games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nix342 wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:
nix342 wrote:

I know the feeling...I've been really feeling the burn for not picking up the Clash of Cultures: Civilizations expansion when it was available, and now it goes for ridiculous amounts. I don't want to get burned again!

...and good news on dinner...as long as Roche Bros. has fresh turkeys today, we'll be having hot turkey sandwiches for dinner tomorrow night. So, that cash can go directly to games!

SOLD!!

do you want me to put extra ones for you in my cart to save on shipping and get my 5% discount?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ummm....better hold off. Those are all on my xmas list. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how exactly do the Gods add a bunch of complexity? Whats so different about using them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
jnowak415 wrote:
So how exactly do the Gods add a bunch of complexity? Whats so different about using them?

Basically, each god changes a Rule for the province they are located in.

For example, I believe (going from memory here as I don't want to pull the box off the shelf) if Frigga is in a province, no figures die after a Pillage. With Odin, everyone involved gets Glory after a pillage.. etc

Nothing too extreme, just one more thing to explain and keep track of.

(actually, two more things since you play with two Gods at a time...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.