Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Help me, BGG! I'm getting these strange notions - I think i'm going insane.

Just this afternoon I stood in front of my game shelves, and noticed that I have so many games that I still haven't played, and all those others that I haven't played for years. And suddenly the thought crept up that I should stop buying new games and just play the games that I have.

Help me, BGG. If I cannot repress ideas like this, I may even end up selling parts of my collection, focusing on only a few games and - gasp - trying to have a social life that doesn't only involve gaming!

What should I do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick, lie down until the feeling goes away!!

Semi-serious answer: Trades! Trade away that unplayed game for something you really want to try. It's a great way to make contact w/other Geeks, and you're not as disappointed when you get a game you don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably just buy a few more games at the sales that are happening or will happen soon. This will get you back on track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sort of in the same boat so a few months ago I promised myself I would cut back on buying games and make an effort to play more of the ones I do have.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find two more groups and play two more times a week...then go to Amazon and buy a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
My shrink says never listen to the weird ideas. Then she throws a handful of pills at my mouth and runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
I've contacted your local branch of the Cult of the New. Please keep in mind when those burly gentlemen knock, that they are 'happiness counselors'. Returning you to a state of bliss is much simpler if you do not struggle. Your brain does not have nerve endings, so just don't worry yourself about the sound of the drill.

Thanks and happy buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Find a common group of people willing to try and rotate between different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow your instincts: SELL! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
Help me, BGG! I'm getting these strange notions - I think i'm going insane.

Just this afternoon I stood in front of my game shelves, and noticed that I have so many games that I still haven't played, and all those others that I haven't played for years. And suddenly the thought crept up that I should stop buying new games and just play the games that I have.

Help me, BGG. If I cannot repress ideas like this, I may even end up selling parts of my collection, focusing on only a few games and - gasp - trying to have a social life that doesn't only involve gaming!

What should I do?

Follow your good instincts. And bear in mind that if you're an alcoholic, a cocktail lounge is a poor place to ask for advice as to whether you should have another drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this will help you, but when I buy a game it goes in a stack of unplayed games on the table. I don't put games on the shelf until I've played them and like them enough to keep. I never let that stack grow too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a list of ten of those games, and give yourself the ultimatum that you can't buy anything else until those ten get played.

I do this peridocially: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/200959/no-buy-ultimat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what you enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Wil Wheaton have a crisis hotline?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same feeling about game bundles / PC games now.

For board-games it's more about the very high cost and that the assholes I play with don't even want to play them anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh...

Checks how many games the Wim has.
"252... yeah that's a bit much"
Checks how many games I have.
'252...'

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Oh...

Checks how many games the Wim has.
"252... yeah that's a bit much"
Checks how many games I have.
'252...'

whistle

I must confess that my game list here on BGG has not been updated lately. It is at least three Essens behind.

Anyway, I feel a bit better now. Just bought Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King. I mean, I got the Essen promo tile, so it's only natural that i complete it with the rest of the game, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife recently noted that there are varying kinds of collectors. She tends to be a completionist, which surprises me.

I tend to be the type that cycles games out of the collection if I seriously have no interest in playing if another game is on the shelf. Then there are games I keep for sentimental value.

Step #1 - Play all your unplayed games

Step #2 - Cull like the wind. Get down to the games that you would skip doing something else to play. Those are the games to keep.

Keep 50% core favorites, 30% primary (games everyone loves), 20% secondary (good but not great, interesting mechanisms maybe)

Depending on how often you have extended game sessions, keep a percentage of fillers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Whymme wrote:
And suddenly the thought crept up that I should stop buying new games and just play the games that I have.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. In the cycling community there is an adage which states the optimum number of bikes to own is n+1, where n = the number of bikes you currently own. This can also be rewritten to s-1, where s = the number of bikes that would result in separation from your partner.

I believe the same can be applied to board game collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.