Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Green Berets: Vietnam» Forums » Rules

Subject: correct my error, please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This has to be wrong:

I"m moving the A-Team (noise 1); intel (noise 0); night vision (noise 0) and an M21 (noise -1). This adds up to zero noise. I'm moving through terrain (mountain) with no noise modifier, thus my total noise is zero meaning I can just move undetected. The mission objective is also in a zero modifier hex (elephant grass) so basically I can just move across the map and complete the objective automatically? This cannot be correct. Where and I misreading the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12.0 in red

Exception: A noise die roll of “0” (zero)is always considered to be no detection, regardless of the total noise value or other modifiers, but a noise die roll of “1” (one) is always considered to be an automatic detection, regardless of the total noise value or other modifiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks. So in effect just rolling not 1's in this instance could march you all the way to mission completion? Seems like you could easily game the game with this to make in effect no game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, 10% of the time you will stumble into something but yeah, moving quietly is pretty key. I have found that over the course of 30 missions you eventually stumble into a big NVA/VC unit that shoots you up pretty bad.... Also, if you travel so light that you don't have much firepower even small enemy units can take you out.

I found it more "fun" to try and put together cool mission teams (sometimes using a chopper or a raft or whatever) and crafting a narrative than trying to purely "win" the game. The game is more about planning than execution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the individual resources (radios, knapsacks, guns, etc.) have separate rules for use or is the only real difference among them the firepower value and noise, etc. in an abstracted way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
Do the individual resources (radios, knapsacks, guns, etc.) have separate rules for use or is the only real difference among them the firepower value and noise, etc. in an abstracted way?

Sometimes you have to take certain items along and "deliver" them to an objective hex. But unlike, say, Combat Commander there are no special abilities that items confer on your team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.