John Firer
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Speer Revisions

While the current event application of the Speer card gives an obvious boast to the Germans in both the replacement and ops sides of the house, I don’t believe its short-term impact really accurately represents the enormous long-term impact the accession of Speer to the armaments industry actually meant for the German war effort. His accession marked a significant increase in all aspects of arms production but especially in the field of AFVs. As the card currently stands, it has a short-term and not a long-term impact on that important aspect of German arms production. A valid strategy may be to never play Speer as an event but instead use it continuously either as a replacement card or for ops (as a 4 card, it is in the highest category of Strategy cards in the German deck).

As a remedy for this situation, I would offer the following change as an optional rule for Stalin’s War:
When played as an event, the German player does not receive any replacements and cannot use the card simultaneously for ops. Instead, beginning with the fourth turn after play as an event, all 2 – 4 strategy cards played for replacements increase the number of panzer replacements available by a factor of 1. This means that a 2 card now allows 1 PZ replacement (before there was 0 allowed), a 3 card 2 PZ replacements and a 4 card 3 PZ replacements. There is no increase in the number of non-panzer replacements allowed. Furthermore, a 1 card remains the same in regards to replacement allocation.

This new replacement schedule reflects the increase in AFV production while still reflecting the ongoing German manpower shortage. It also gives the German player a hard choice between long-term gain vs. short-term advantage when determining whether or not to play this as an event or for replacements/ops. In addition, it further advocates the play of Hitler Takes Command at an early stage in order to lay the groundwork for potential play of the revised Speer event. The four turn waiting period reflects the time actually required by Speer to get the German armament house in order and to initiate the changes necessary to do so.

Comments?

Regards,

JBF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marjoram
United States
Harbor City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that sounds like an interesting idea to me. I'd be interested to hear how it plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Firer
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul!

JBF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.