Kwang Il Kim
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
No Free Peoples Faction may move into a region containing a Stronghold controlled by the Shadow player or attack a Shadow Army in such a region, and their Call to Battle effects may not be used in such battles.

Its effects are pretty complicated to me. cry

It looks similar to A Power too Great and The Power of Tom Bombadil from the base game.
But the last effect is unclear.
Does it mean that the FP can DEFENSE with their Faction in such a region and use a Combat card instead of a Call to Battle card?

Is "their Call to Battle effects may not be used" the same with "their Call to Battle cards may not be played"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeil wrote:
Does it mean that the FP can DEFENSE with their Faction in such a region

Yes.

skeil wrote:
and use a Combat card instead of a Call to Battle card?

A Combat card may be used whether attacking or defending.

skeil wrote:
Is "their Call to Battle effects may not be used" the same with "their Call to Battle cards may not be played"?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense, but why do you have to make so many threads? Can't you ask multiple questions in one thread?!?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwang Il Kim
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For Koreans, I'm translating the text on the cards into Korean.

The questions have relevance to the card.
Why should I divide them into several threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwang Il Kim
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks, Kevin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeil wrote:
For Koreans, I'm translating the text on the cards into Korean.

The questions have relevance to the card.
Why should I divide them into several threads?

You misunderstood me. You are constantly posting questions under dozens of threads. Can't you maybe create one thread with all of your questions instead of asking them all separately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
skeil creates a seperate thread for each card he has questions for. This thread is about the card "Strongly Guarded". I agree it looks odd seeing so many new topics from the same user, but it makes perfect sense to me and really simplifies finding answers when you search for a specific card and don't have to navigate around a couple other topic in the same thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
skeil wrote:

Yes.

I'm confused now. I thought that if FP factions cannot use Call to Battle cards in battles in a Shadow-controlled Stronghold region, then they can't very well defend in such a region and don't affect the battle. Are you suggesting they can still use Call to Battle cards when the FP is defending (i.e. FP is besieging the Shadow-controlled Stronghold)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hammer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Strongly Guarded is an amazingly well balanced card that I didn't appreciate beyond its battle effect for several games. It prevents the loss of Saruman and defends several FP strongholds from attempted recapture by a faction + FP army. Its effect isn't strong enough that the FP will instantly WotW it like say Palantir of Orthanc. It will stay out there all game unless FP is looking to kill saruman, get a military victory or last minute stronghold recapture to prevent SP victory. Its really not strong enough to waste WotW on, even as a bluff.

tatze wrote:
skeil creates a seperate thread for each card he has questions for. This thread is about the card "Strongly Guarded". I agree it looks odd seeing so many new topics from the same user, but it makes perfect sense to me and really simplifies finding answers when you search for a specific card and don't have to navigate around a couple other topic in the same thread.

I really don't have a problem with it either. It makes sense to me, especially if he is doing a fan translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is better to make separate threads for separate questions. Easier to find what you seek if you are searching on the forums, easier to answer, and I like overview of what the thread is about (no run-away threads, 3 out 4 questions answered and so forth).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Krieghund wrote:
skeil wrote:

Yes.

I'm confused now. I thought that if FP factions cannot use Call to Battle cards in battles in a Shadow-controlled Stronghold region, then they can't very well defend in such a region and don't affect the battle. Are you suggesting they can still use Call to Battle cards when the FP is defending (i.e. FP is besieging the Shadow-controlled Stronghold)?

If you are not allowed to enter the region nor attack the army, how could you ever reach the state where the FP is besieging the SP-controlled stronghold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Krieghund wrote:
skeil wrote:

Yes.

I'm confused now. I thought that if FP factions cannot use Call to Battle cards in battles in a Shadow-controlled Stronghold region, then they can't very well defend in such a region and don't affect the battle.

"Such battles" on the card refers to "or attack a Shadow Army in such a region", indicating that it applies only when the Free Peoples are attacking a Shadow Army in a region containing a Shadow-controlled Stronghold.

Rafamir wrote:
Are you suggesting they can still use Call to Battle cards when the FP is defending (i.e. FP is besieging the Shadow-controlled Stronghold)?

Yes. Of course, the Call to Battle must be usable when the Faction figures are in an adjacent region, as they may not enter the Stronghold region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koolin wrote:
If you are not allowed to enter the region nor attack the army, how could you ever reach the state where the FP is besieging the SP-controlled stronghold?

Factions may not move into the region or attack a Shadow Army there. Army units face no such prohibition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koolin
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Koolin wrote:

Factions may not move into the region or attack a Shadow Army there. Army units face no such prohibition.

Thanks for the clarification. Make much more sense now from a balance perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed that it was just for Factions also on a number of readings (as am conditioned to these cards affecting Armies, so it's an unusual effect), but a very interesting card, and definitely some big implications as a blocker against Ents (or Dead Men with the Dark Door open) poised to smash Orthanc to smithereens, or an Ent assault on Moria or Dol Guldur for that matter.

Also note that it's for *any* Stronghold controlled by Shadow, not just Shadow Strongholds, so a conquered Helm's Deep or Dol Amroth or Lorien would be protected from a Faction assault while this is in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.