Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julie Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone heard a release date for this yet? "May" is fast disappearing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
No but I received a Paizo newsletter in my email this morning.

I flipped around the Paizo site for about 10 seconds and could not find the newsletter so here is the text:

found the link:
http://paizo.com/store/blog#v5748dyo5l8p9

text below for convenience.

You Say You Want a Revolution?
Stonehenge, the world's first Anthology Board Game, is about to arrive.

If I had one word to describe Stonehenge, the brand-new board game from Paizo's Titanic Games line, it would be "revolutionary."

I mean, sure, everybody likes to say that their products are the next big thing, and they'll set the bar for everything that follows, and they deserve to be worshiped from coast-to-coast by small but gregarious animals, so when you hear a company call their own product "revolutionary," you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Not in the case of Stonehenge. Stonehenge genuinely isn't like any other board game. If anything, it's more like a deck of cards: When you buy that pack, you don't just get one game—you get many, many games. You get a host of games that you know, and the promise of new games that you don't know. And so it is with Stonehenge.

When you buy Stonehenge, you get a big box of cool-looking parts. You get a board, and a deck of cards, and more than a hundred plastic pieces in lots of different colors and shapes. But with Stonehenge, you don't just get one game to play with those parts. Instead, we start you off with five great games from five of the industry's top board game designers. And these games aren't just variations on a theme—they're totally different games.

Let's start with The High Druid, a political game by Bruno Faidutti (designer of Mystery of the Abbey). In Bruno's game, the druids of Stonehenge are gathering together to elect a new leader, and your goal is to manipulate the composition of seven druidic colleges to ensure that they elect you as that leader.

Next, we've got Magic of Stonehenge, a bluffing game by Richard Garfield (Magic: The Gathering). In this game, you and your druidic apprentices are working together to gather the power to cast a mighty spell that raises Stonehenge's iconic three-stone trilithons up from the earth.

Auction Blocks, from James Ernest (Kill Doctor Lucky), would be chronologically the last of the five games in the box. The farmers of Salisbury plain are sick and tired of wasting perfectly good land for these giant rocks, so they're auctioning off the blocks of Stonehenge to the highest bidder. He who has the most rocks wins.

In Arthurian Ghost Knights, by Richard Borg (Memoir '44), King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table are resurrected each year at Stonehenge to fight a glorius battle to vanquish evil from the land of Britain.

And Chariots of Stonehenge, by Mike Selinker (Risk: Godstorm), is a racing game based on Mike's assertion that Stonehenge was originally constructed as a race course for alien chariots.

All of these games are fun, and different. And they're all easy to learn, and fairly fast to play. The rules for each game fit on a two-page spread in the rulebook. Play times range from a few minutes to about an hour.

But those five games are just the beginning. In the latest issue of Knucklebones magazine, there's a new Stonehenge game from Paul Peterson (Guillotine), called Stonehenge Rocks! You can even download a FREE PDF of the game right now (though, of course you won't be able to play it until you get your copy of Stonehenge). In Paul's game, there's an epic rock concert at Stonehenge, and you have to get your friends into the best seats. Unfortunately, there's a security guard that goes around checking people's tickets, and booting you out if you don't have the right credentials. We're also working on several other games that will be published in other magazines later this year.

And we're still not done with the fun. In the coming weeks, we'll be launching an area of our website where aspiring game designers (like you?) can upload their own games, and download games submitted by others. We'll be kicking that section off with a fun game by Dragon magazine's own Jason Bulmahn; it's kind of a roulette game that involves acolytes being crushed by giant rocks.

Are we done yet? NO! September will see the release of the first boxed expansion, Stonehenge: Nocturne, which expands the base set for six and seven players, and adds three brand-new games from Klaus-Jurgen Wrede (Carcassonne), Andrew Looney (Fluxx), and the team of Bruno Cathala and Serge Laget (Shadows over Camelot).

In essence, what you get with Stonehenge is a potentially endless stream of cool games—and even the ability to try your own hand at game design. Stonehenge is one game that's truly bigger than the box it comes in, and we really hope you'll give it a try. It should be available at your favorite game store in a matter of weeks, or, of course, you can pick up a copy right here at paizo.com. We think Stonehenge is one board game purchase that will give you more than your money's worth.

It sounds like a very cool idea. I am excited to check it out!
Cheers,
Van
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Paizo site now lists it as available. I suspect it will be in stores in a week or two. (Already ordered my copy.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game News now lists it as "in the pipeline"
http://www.boardgamenews.com/index.php/boardgamenews/C50/

Thumb up
 tip