Thumb up
 Hide
465 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: "Make America Great Again" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the hundreds of documented incidents of racial harassment and sexual assault or harassment form Trump supporters in the past week, the presence of "make America Great Again" ball caps is making me and many attendees uncomfortable.

Can we please have a ruling from BGG.con organizers on whether wearing what many people read as "Make America White Again" hats constitutes creating an unfriendly environment for minority gamers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would appreciate seeing a hat like that on someone before accidentally joining them for a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP!

As well as insulting and belittling fellow gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have there been any cases of misconduct at BGG con by people that think making America great again is worthy of exercising their First Amendment right to put it on a hat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't this thread be locked by now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
RSP!

As well as insulting and belittling other gamers.

I said nothing about the behavior of other gamers I just said that merely seeing the hats at the next table made me feel unsafe and unwelcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
RSP!

I said nothing about the behavior of other gamers I just said that merely seeing the hats at the next table made me feel unsafe and unwelcome.
I said nothing about you commenting on their behavior. But I cannot say more as it is in danger of slipping into RSP territory.

And no that is not all you said, but I am not repeating it is it made blatant political statements. If you had only said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved to the Religion Sex and Politics forum.

This forum is largely unmoderated. If you choose to actively avoid topics of religion, sex, and/or politics or do not want to read or participate in an unmoderated thread please Unsubscribe now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What forum did these even start on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
RSP!

Now I feel I can reply.

You insulted them by saying that the hat had a secret meaning (implying that those who wear it hold that view). In addition you made comparison (and this an association) with recent alleged attacks.

Thus you implied that those who wear the hat support those views and actions.

I would add that if I were attending I would now get one of these hats, so as to ensure that certain kinds of people do not accidentally play games with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Given the hundreds of documented incidents of racial harassment and sexual assault or harassment form Trump supporters in the past week, the presence of "make America Great Again" ball caps is making me and many attendees uncomfortable.

Can we please have a ruling from BGG.con organizers on whether wearing what many people read as "Make America White Again" hats constitutes creating an unfriendly environment for minority gamers?

You're oddly leaving out the Soros and Black Lives Matter problems that are causing all of this silliness.

Soros has pumped millions of this, and Odin only knows how much BLM is acting.

Fake news is fake.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Guess it's too late to

slater
slater
slater

this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Morganza wrote:

You're oddly leaving out the Soros and Black Lives Matter problems that are causing all of this silliness.

Soros has pumped millions of this, and Odin only knows how much BLM is acting.

Fake news is fake.

Ferret

I have no idea why people would think that Trump voters are dismissive of their concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
I don't minds the hats. It makes my choice of gaming companions much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I heard there were a bunch of Hillary for Prison water bottles too. Fun times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence neal

chattanooga
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The convention is smack dab in the middle of Texas.....I promise that you are SURROUNDED by Trump supporters, more than a few armed!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you are doing is profiling. And you know what I'm "going to go there" and say that you feeling unsafe with those hats is the SAME thing as people who feel unsafe sitting next to someone with hijab or turban on.

People need to calm the frak down. We are here to fraking play games and socialize.

I get enough of this all Republicans are raciest/bigoted/sexist on Facebook.
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Ihwarrior wrote:
more than a few armed!!!

Okay, I'll hope none of them has anger management issues when they lose a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DTKokoro wrote:
What you are doing is profiling. And you know what I'm "going to go there" and say that you feeling unsafe with those hats is the SAME thing as people who feel unsafe sitting next to someone with hijab or turban on.

People need to calm the frak down. We are here to fraking play games and socialize.

I get enough of this all Republicans are raciest/bigoted/sexist on Facebook.
At least a hijab/turbin/hoodie/cowboy hats doesn't come right out and declare that America sucks and needs to be made great "again". America is greater for more people in more situations than it has been in all of its history. It's also a greater place to live than most of the rest of the planet. I'm not saying that people should be forced to take off their hats for it, but I think it's about a blatant slam of America as it gets without a "Death to.." thrown in. Wearing cultural or religious headgear is not comparable to anti-american political slogans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:

I started this thread on the bgg.con forum to ask whether the hats were covered under the convention's brand new anti-harassment policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Morganza wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:

I started this thread on the bgg.con forum to ask whether the hats were covered under the convention's brand new anti-harassment policy.

As one of the few declared moderates in the cesspool that is RSP, I would respectfully suggest you actually get to know a little bit about the person(s) wearing the "Make America Great Again" hats. Do not be deluded into thinking they are all racists eager to take out non-whites with a shotgun. Many of them are just simply Americans tired and exasperated with the current political climate, and felt Trump represented a change. I live in a Red (Republican) state and I can assure you most of the Trump voters are just people who hold differing political viewpoints than those espoused by Democrats and believed Trump would be a catalyst for change. Yes, a few are racist. You could find the same thing among Democrats.

In other words, don't judge a person by the stupid slogan on their ball cap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Morganza wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:

As one of the few declared moderates in the cesspool that is RSP, I would respectfully suggest you actually get to know a little bit about the person(s) wearing the "Make America Great Again" hats. Do not be deluded into thinking they are all racists eager to take out non-whites with a shotgun. Many of them are just simply Americans tired and exasperated with the current political climate, and felt Trump represented a change. I live in a Red (Republican) state and I can assure you most of the Trump voters are just people who hold differing political viewpoints than those espoused by Democrats and believed Trump would be a catalyst for change. Yes, a few are racist. You could find the same thing among Democrats.

In other words, don't judge a person by the stupid slogan on their ball cap.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can claim that a hat that is "team signaling" that you are on team trump is automatically hostile to all non-trump supporters specifically the minorities that Trump is targeting.

There are many people who think that being racist is not disqualifying in a president. That is not an opinion which IMO constitutes harassment of others on its own.

I understand that it is very painful and difficult to learn that many of your fellow gamers don't care if bad things happen to you and don't care if a person who is specifically racist against you and people like you gets elected, it's painful for me to, but claiming that just identifying as a member of that group is "harassment" is a bridge too far.

There are plenty of people who wear Flying Spaghetti Monster or other pro-atheist shirts and other gear at cons, and that is not "hate speech" toward Christians.

Claiming that group identifying as a trump voter is essentially like group identifying as a nazi or KKK member is probably not fair unless or until Trump actually beings taking racist actions as president.

I mean all that said it is kind of a fine line between all the fucking garbage he has said so far and straight up hate speech, so if BGG were to rule that it is hate speech I would be fairly OK with it, but it seems like a lot of pro-trump people genuinely are not pro trump out of racial animus, just because they like the idea of him bringing jobs back to the rust belt and elsewhere and they don't care that his other platforms are based on racism, religious bigotry, lack of bodily autonomy for women, etc., etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
AndrewRogue wrote:

... And the staff moved the thread and declined to give any other answer to my question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: "Make America Great Again" "Puss*GRAB*MON!"
>sauron< "Puss*GRAB*MON!" those of you it 'applied' upon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.